PDA

View Full Version here: : The Chip Thief.. aka The Seagull Nebula IC2177

strongmanmike
21-01-2018, 11:15 PM
A popular target this time of year, the nebula IC2177 soars like a huge magenta bird just south of the celestial equator on the boarder between the constellations of Canis Major and Monoceros. Like The Orion nebula, to me at least, this object never seems to look that good in narrowband :shrug: ...so I used narrow band emission line data to augment a natural true colour SIIHaOIIIRGB image...quite happy with the result in the end.

I wanted to frame it so it really looked like it was soaring like a bird.

As is the case all the time these days, the data collection went without a hitch with perfect guiding, as good as +/- 0.15 arc sec for extended periods :eyepop: and not one sub chucked :)

The Seagull Nebula (https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongman/39813349051/in/dateposted-public/) (click on image to enlarge)

If you want to soar around a larger version go HERE (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/166870908/original)

For the old fashioned purists..HERE (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/166811717/original) is the full size full res Ha only version, with only DDP and log stretch applied, nothing else :)

Here is an Annotated Version (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/166892121/original) (courtesy of the venerable Sakib Rasool - he has a thing for making things North up :lol: ) to identify all the good bits.

Cheers

Mike

gregbradley
22-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Very striking. I like it. Lovely star colours as well. Quite a lovely field. Good choice of target as it suits the FSQ very well.

Greg

joelshort
22-01-2018, 06:02 AM
You should be very happy with that result. It's beautiful. I would like to know how you go about stretching the data? The stars are very tight and controlled.

So often it seems like if I stretch the image to the point I like the nebula or main object, the stars come out bloated and larger than I want. I can only reduce star size so much before adverse artifacts show up.

troypiggo
22-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Awesome. I had to do a 2x3 mosaic to get similar FoV. Also jealous of your guiding accuracy :)

Andy01
22-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Aaargh! Another one! .. and it's lovely too! You guys (incl. Troy) are killing me! :lol:

it's a beautiful image Mike - I'm enjoying the - traditional? treatment and colours - your star colours are spot on, and the composition is terrific!

Thought I had all the data I needed on this thing (22hrs) after two months and two panels but to balance the composition it needs three more panels (sigh), loving that new widefield combo of yours. :thumbsup:

marc4darkskies
22-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Yep, terrific image there Mike! :thumbsup::thumbsup: NB augmented natural colours look fantastic! Nice to see the full res Ha too!

Marcus

strongmanmike
22-01-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks Greg, yeah trying to chose targets to make the most of the chip and corrected field...there are so many cool ones and not enough clear nights :rolleyes:

Thanks Joel :thumbsup: Basically...I median combine dithered subs, apply DDP then a log stretch, then adjust the curve on the mono data, all using Astroart6. I am carful not to over stretch the stars and I can usually achieve this by using several adjustment points along the curve, adjusting the nebulosity without affecting the stars too much :) Then when I take it into PS I protect the stars if necessary.

Cheers Troy, yeah a 4deg X 4deg FOV should allow me to avoid dastardly mosaics :scared: for a while longer now :lol:
Chicken Mike :scared2:

Ha ha cheers Andy, yes the massive FOV with this outfit is pretty darn useful :) I'm slowly losing my overexcitedness :face:..it's just that I haven't been able to image these sort'a fields with that cool sharp look since the mid 80's when I had a Pentax 6X7 and 300mm Lens :)

Mike

strongmanmike
22-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Cheers Marcus...and all the things I said to the others above :P

Mike

Shiraz
22-01-2018, 03:00 PM
wow, what a great image. Whatever your colour process, it is working really well - lovely to look at.

markas
22-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Splendid image, Mike. It's great to see the whole bird rendered so beautifully:)

Mark

Placidus
22-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Gorgeous and compelling. I spent ages just enjoying the variations in texture and colour in the starry background. One thinks of a seaside that varies from polished wet gravel to finest sand to interesting sea-shells large and small. And then there is the nebula! Lovely work.

Best,
Mike

LewisM
22-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Cracker, corker and blardy gud! Not even neon pinkified!

Got to love the acreage the FSQ's sweep in.

beren
22-01-2018, 08:54 PM
:thumbsup: Beautiful image Mike congrats

strongmanmike
23-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks a lot Ray...I'm really enjoying these wide sharp vistas...but heck, your bloody latest top notch galaxy shot has made me feel like switching over to the H694-AG12 (takes just a couple'a minutes) for another one myself, ...after I have completed the latest wide shot I have under construction :thumbsup:

Thankyou very much Mark

Glad you enjoyed the view Mike, it's great seeing so much in one frame...I think all I need now is something like a nice 180mm F2.8 lens to complete the set :P

Thanks Lewis, I still would'a thought this juuust a bit pink for you ;)

The FOV is awesome with this combo for sure.

Thanks a lot Beren :thumbsup:

SimmoW
23-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Yes thats a fantastic natural colour finish there Mike, nicely done

strongmanmike
24-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Cheers Simmon, glad you think so, always kinda not quite sure when composing hybrid NB-RGB images... :)

Mike

RickS
24-01-2018, 04:16 PM
That's a stunner, Mikey :eyepop: 50 shades of magenta :lol:

strongmanmike
25-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Rooowrrr...would'ya like me to tie you up in magenta USB cables Ricki and do some multiscale stretching :evil:

RickS
25-01-2018, 10:44 AM
I didn't know you cared, Mikey :evil2: :lol:

Ryderscope
25-01-2018, 04:17 PM
I like this composition Mike. Lots of great detail to wander around in, especially with the Ha.

strongmanmike
25-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Cheers Rodney :thumbsup:

Mike

Ross G
27-01-2018, 02:54 PM
A beautiful widefield photo Mike.

As always so sharp and detailed.

I love the composition and colours.

....and...I can really see the seagull!.....

Ross.

strongmanmike
27-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Thanks so much Ross, always appreciate your honest and friendly untainted real comments :love:

Mike

multiweb
28-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Love the colours and the stars blend. Nicely processed. :thumbsup:

topheart
29-01-2018, 11:20 AM
A beautiful widefield photo Mike.

As always so sharp and detailed.

I love the composition and colours.

....and...I can really see the bird, but as always with this object I see a parrot not a seagull!.....

Are you ever going to take a long focal length image again???... He Ha !!

Congratulations!!

:)

Tim

strongmanmike
29-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Cheers Marc :)

Thanks Tim

I agree, I also see a flying parrot but who am I to try and change the name on a technicality :lol:...it's definitely not a running chicken :P

Good question re using the 12" and SX camera again... :question:...eventually :)

Mike

alpal
29-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Great pictures Mike,
I like the Ha version too.
The colour one is slightly too saturated for my liking but that's artistic license.
Funny title.
As for those seagulls - yes - I have actually had a seagull steal a chip
from the fish & chips I had on some paper on my lap -
down at Frankston beach once -
the cheeky devils just fly in & pinch one in front of your nose :)

cheers
Allan

strongmanmike
29-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Cheers Al and sure, understand the saturation comment :) Our Tom Tom voice warns us, when we have reached our destination, "don't let the seagulls steal'ya chips" :)

Mike

alpal
29-01-2018, 08:51 PM
LOL Mike,
I got home tonight and the colour looks correct on my home monitor.
It's not a bit saturated - it looks about right.
Every monitor is different.
There are lots of videos on Youtube of thieving seagulls. :)

cheers
Allan

strongmanmike
30-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Ok cool Al, nice to know...I know it may be hard to believe..but I am currently having a little play with the data again.... :whistle: :lol:

Mike

Atmos
30-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Somehow missed this one but it’s awesome!! I need 9 panels to get this FOV... or a little bigger anyway. Definitely going to have to visit this one at some point, never imaged the Chip Theif.

strongmanmike
31-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Ha ha, I know Col, images slip under the radar sometimes, I do it often myself :nerd: no hard feelings :P. I'm scared of mosaics...hence why I got the FSQ for my 16803 :D..aaand maaate, if I wanna go even wider, heck, I will just buy the 645 reducer! :lol: after that?...I dunno...a camera lens :shrug: :lol:

No Mozaics Mike :P

bigjoe
31-01-2018, 09:30 PM
What an image ..natural looking ..lovely processing as usual.. and what a field that Tak has...
Didnt steal your chip!

bigjoe.

strongmanmike
01-02-2018, 06:06 PM
So glad ya like it Big Joe :)...no, my chip done good :P

Mike

atalas
09-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Fantastic shot Mike.....so we're liking the FSQ are we?Hmm,you'll get over It and get back to your real scope:)

strongmanmike
11-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Ah it's just the thrill of a new system :party:...It'll wear off at some stage. Have to say, imaging with the FSQ-ProLine rig is just so bloody easy :shrug: and the results so good :shrug: seeing isn't an issue, guiding is perfect, focuser works great, no image tilt issues, the field is flat over a massive area and the camera provides clean noise free frames...crazy easy, anyone could do it, I feel like I am cheating somehow, it's almost embarrassing :)...be the perfect rig for remote operations, definitely a set and forget outfit then....

Mike