PDA

View Full Version here: : A Couple of Horses

LostInSp_ce
21-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Same data, playing around with processing.

Total exposure time 100 mins.
Subs 50 x 2 mins @ 1SO 1600.

I originally captured 4 hours worth of subs but had to discard about 60% of them due to the windy conditions.

ChrisV
21-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Really nice. Pity you lost so much to the wind !

LostInSp_ce
21-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks Chris. Yes it was a bit of a double edged sword. Nice clear sky but no wind protection. I'll have to come up with solution when offsite for this. I might look at getting a cheap tent and cut a hole in the roof to poke the scope out of.

xelasnave
21-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Excellent.. How I would like more than one hour max.. Its running now.. 25 minutes so far lucky I did not go narrow band.
Keep them coming.
Alex

mynameiscd
21-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Great horses!!!
Even a bad night can turn out good images.
Imagine if you had the other 2.5 hours that the wind took away?
One day I will capture the wild horse....I just need to work on my tracking alot!

LostInSp_ce
23-01-2018, 12:37 AM
Thanks Andy. I hope so. Like many of us where I live probably isn't the most ideal for this hobby but I always try to get out when I can and have a go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. More often and not it doesn't but that's all part of the learning process. Hopefully this one worked and if not, there's always next time. I hear your frustration with tracking it takes some patience and practice but it will come. I was unaware of these forums when I first started and struggled for a very long time with it amongst other things. So just keep asking questions and someone will be able to help.

Thanks Alex. Not only does the processing take longer but it chews up a lot of disk space too. Still I have to admit that I'd like to go down this path in future.

xelasnave
23-01-2018, 12:49 AM
I managed my hour last night and was up to 4 am waiting for Deep Sky Stacker to do its job...
It got me wondering just how many 30 second exposures it can handle.

Anyways although its all a little like reinventing the wheel I find it most enjoyable.

Alex

LostInSp_ce
23-01-2018, 02:13 AM
It all depends on how powerful a computer you have. Sometimes DSS will crash on mine when trying to render the final stacked image. I'm not sure if it's my computer running out of RAM or a glitch in DSS as it seems to get through the whole registering/aligning/stacking processes just fine. :shrug:

mynameiscd
23-01-2018, 05:43 AM
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm slowly getting there and these forums are the best help and have given me a hand up this steep slope.
I also had trouble with DSS and crashing problems until I started to use the external drive for temporary files.
I think the default is C:/temp so changing this and the folder where the final files are created to my external drive took a lot of strain off my OS
These files sometimes gets to 4 gig for me anyway and this was enough to crash windows xp.
You might have already tried this.
Cheers
Andy

PKay
23-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Great effort. Well done!

alan meehan
23-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Nice effort looks good always love the horse head

LostInSp_ce
24-01-2018, 12:34 AM
No I haven't but it makes a lot of sense, especially since I'm being naughty and running it from the desktop. It's a small SSD just for the OS. So yes, it's most likely running low on space when it has to generate the final image and therefore crashing.

Thanks guys