PDA

View Full Version here: : 10:1 crayford on Saxon/Sky watcher dob

danielsun
11-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I have successfully fitted a crayford 10:1 crayford focuser to my saxon 10" dob without the need of drilling any extra holes in the tube or having to use an extention tube.
In the photos below you will see that the base mounts on both focusers can be removed, so i have been able to turn up an adapter bush to go from the original r&p focuser base plate fit to the new crayford and give it the height needed for normal focus travel.
The only minor mod you must do is drill and tap two M4 threads in the under side of the focuser base plate as shown in the pics and the new adapter sleeve will need 3 M4 holes drilled and tapped to hold the new crayford to it.
Lucky for me i was able to get access to a lathe and the material cost about $60.
It may cost a bit to get an engineering shop to turn one up but i think its the best way to go to do it properly.

danielsun
11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I forgot to show the pic on drilling and tapping the M4threads into the r&p focuser base plate and here is a basic scetch of the sleeve with a couple of dimensions missing but if anyone wants to have a go i can re draw the sketch properly.

janoskiss
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
That's great Daniel. Unfortunately beyond the scope of my abilities. :(

ving
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
no pun intended hey? ;)

quite beyond me too, but escellent job there :)

Starkler
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Great job :thumbsup:

Once you go fine focus, you'll never go back ;)

CoombellKid
11-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Just having something better than the $5bin R&P that
came on my Saxon 8" newt, would be a plus. They dont
get better with age, and cant really handle my premium
ep's. I must get off my behind and get one of these.

Daniel, thanks for sharing, you have done well.

regards,CS sunny days

Dave47tuc
11-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Nice job Daniel well done:thumbsup:

danielsun
11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :) Your not wrong Geoff, after giving it a test run it was great!!!
Thanks Rob, the bonus with the 8" saxons/skywatchers is that i'm pretty sure that they bolt straight on without the need of any adapter and no need to drill any new holes.:thumbsup: