PDA

View Full Version here: : Yet another Mesu 200 owner...

toc
29-12-2017, 04:13 PM
After what seemed like an eternity, my Mesu 200 mount has finally arrived...

I got the mesu, a berlebach planet (as recommended by Lucas himself) and some counterweights.

One thing I am a bit disappointed by was the saddle - was expecting a slightly better than some allan nuts to screw down the dovetail - sure it will work, but a few knobs would have been nice :)

billdan
29-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Good one Tim, should be happy with that, (like me).

There was an issue with dovetail knobs and the Mesu, users who provided their own saddles had problems with the knobs catching on the Mesu head. The fix, replace the knobs with Allan Key hex bolts.

As shown.

toc
30-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Ah - that explains it. I might see if I can put some sort of abrasive on the bolts as they are a bit smooth :question:

billdan
30-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Just don't leave them finger tight, they are designed to be tightened up with an Allen Key.

toc
31-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Well I had a go tonight with my MN190, and it was manageable.

Merlin66
31-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Tim,
I’d strongly recommend getting a safety clamp for the dovetail.
One of the best investments I made - no concerns now about expensive hardware sliding out of the saddle clamp.

muletopia
03-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Tim,
I’d strongly recommend getting a safety clamp for the dovetail.
One of the best investments I made - no concerns now about expensive hardware sliding out of the saddle clamp.

As Merlin says, do it. I had a camera shattered when my 'scope slid out of a borrowed Losmandy G11 on my fixed pier.
Chris

Wilso
03-01-2018, 10:39 AM
If you use the losmondy d series dovetail plate,they have a screw that screws into the top back dovetail that prevents the dovetail from sliding out.

Cheers

Wilso
04-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Hi Tim,

I forgot to mention it must have been a relief to finally getting your mesu mount after waiting so long.
If you could show us some pictures when you've got your telescope all mounted as well would be great. Pictures ... ...

Cheers

Merlin66
04-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Darren,
As a final "safety stop" the screws are OK...
I use the safety clamp to also position the dovetail in the saddle - means you retain scope balance and the scope goes back to the same position every time. (Also makes the job of fitting and removing the OTA 100% easier and safer.)