PDA

View Full Version here: : Why isn't there an eq7 ior 8?

g__day
09-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Just pondering a mount why we have the eq 2, 3, 4, 5 up to 6, but no larger mounts in the solid but value range capable of bearing more load? If you want a goto mount capable of holding more than an eq6 can manage your into serious spending and likely very serious pointing ability. Why is there no value mount that merely extends what the eq6 can do, but with no major step up in pointing ability? Why isn't there a value mount that can carry the load of the Paramount ME, with only the pointing ability of the eq 5 or 6, for sub $6 K rather than $20K?

If you wanted to mount say a 14" SCT on a value goto eq mount there'd be no change from $6,000 (say a CGE mount). I hear (from BinTel) that Meade may be introducing new EQ mounts this year (unsure of there load carrying and pointing goals).

Any points of view why there are no value goto mounts for extra large loads? Surely if you just doubled the size of the eq6 you wouldn't have to quintuple the accuracy of the gears and bearing to maintain its value (i.e. low cost) range design?

h0ughy
09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
new EQ mounts from Meade Eh!! mmmm wonder who is making those?

merlin8r
09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Put simply, it would come down to economics. Astronomers represent a pretty small market, and to design a new mount costs a lot of money. In reality, I suspect that there would not be a large enough market to warrant it.

Clear skies,
Shane