PDA

View Full Version here: : Ok, what has happened to my Telly, some suggestions please

leon
10-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys what has happen tyo my TV, it has been in storage for a couple of years and now i have got it out and it wont switch on.
It was all good before storage, but now is dead.

The storage unit is dry, it dose get cold and very warn at times depending on the weather, but we continually change moisture dispensers to combat any excess condensation and/or humidity/moisture.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Leon :thumbsup:

skysurfer
10-12-2017, 08:16 PM
I had the same with a Samsung TV a few months ago. I looked for blown fuses inside the TV, but could not find anything. Is was probably deceased for some reason.
Do you have a friend who knows about electronics ?

Boozlefoot
10-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Brand and model? Some have two power up switches also. Blue or red light flashing?

glend
10-12-2017, 08:52 PM
When you say won't switch on, what exactly is it doing? It may be a pre-digital TV and simply cannot see any old analogue signal anymore. In which case it may need a digital set top box to make it work. Alternatively if it is digital it may need retuning as DTV channels have changed since introduction.
Can you get any display, like a setup menu?
Are you trying to turn it on with its remote? The batteries in the remote are likely dead, and could give you the impression the TV is dead.

leon
11-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Rod you nailed it, it dose have two switches and we didn't notice it but must have turned it off when carrying it from storage, it is situated right where someone would put their hand to lift. :rolleyes:
Mind you, it is a big bugger and heavy too, 50" to be exact.

Thanks everyone for your response. :thumbsup:

Glen, it is a relatively newish TV, and the remote was fine, thanks anyway.

Leon :thumbsup:

jenchris
11-12-2017, 10:28 AM
My 50 inch tucked under my arm (just) not heavy at all.
Glad you could fix it.
Turned on my24 inch monitor yesterday crackle pop....... dead.

leon
11-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Jennifer, electronics just
don't last as long as they used to.

Just out of interest we bought a Chest freezer (Sanyo) for $120.00
in 1972, it has been moved a few times from house to house and is still
running in my daughters shed.b;)
Now that is what you call well built white goods.:)

Leon:thumbsup:

ZeroID
11-12-2017, 05:44 PM
I'd still be replacing that. Not because it is old but because those old fridge\freezers are not very efficient at all. Power hungry with deteriorating insulation by now.

csb
11-12-2017, 05:58 PM
That's what I thought also replace it.

I bought a new fridge and borrowed one of those gadgets that show power usage. It showed old fridge used over 50% more power than new fridge. New fridge slightly bigger.

These meters are cheap and accuracy is questionable so measured both fridges twice.

Boozlefoot
11-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Huzzah! Huzzah! I bought a Sanyo several years ago and after a 250km round trip (By gods I'm getting one of these flat screen buggers, and I'm getting it TODAY!) I couldn't get it to fire. Rang the retailer full of indignancy and said What am I going to do? She laughed and said have you turned it on? Yah! Course I have! Switch on the RHS. She laughed and said have a look at the LHS, there's a button there too the SAME COLOUR AS THE SURROUNDS, but only protrudes about 2mm................................ ......:help:

Glad you got going Leon....................Only sorry to say wasted effort cause there's nought to watch unless you're needing a James Cheney knife sharpener................of course Vikings has resumed on 32?

Boozlefoot
11-12-2017, 07:35 PM
PS............Stop watching your fridge and freezer, I still watch mine constantly because its kerosene powered. (I was going to sarcastically ask you to check the kero fuel levels in your TV. Such a "throw away society"!:lol:) Maybe we should throw our old Newts out as a result of their inefficiency?