PDA

View Full Version here: : ED80mm F/6 APO triplet refractor - a good deal?

Granada
04-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Found this on eBay: Explore Scientific ED80mm F/6 APO triplet for $875 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Explore-Scientific-ED80mm-F-6-APO-triplet-refractor-telescope-astronomy/191565396625?epid=1054692558&hash=item2c9a2ffa91:m:mcd5REABtlSKa _lL8aUExNQ).

I'm trying to break into astrophotography and wondering whether this would be a good scope to begin with? Have been told on this forum to look for refractors, more specifically F/5 or F/6 triples, so I went out looking for one and came across this. Thoughts?

skysurfer
04-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Ripoff. Even when it are A$, eBay states its prices usually in US$. Get a new one for A$798.
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/skywatcher-swed80-refractor/

traveller
04-12-2017, 08:16 AM
One is a triplet and f6 and one is a doublet and f7.5
I had an ED 80 and is a great starter scope but if your budget allows go for the triplet as it will most likely to be a keeper.
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Bo

glend
04-12-2017, 08:59 AM
There is a Skywatcher ED80 for sale in the IIS classified ads right now:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=163074

ab1963
04-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Do not know anything about that specific scope but if astrophotography is your go a triplet will suit ,i am just a visual observer so a triplet is a waste IMO as there would be nothing in a doublet or triplet for visual ,I've had both so have been able to make a comparison , things like cooling down is to me something to factor in ,triplets are front heavy so balancing can be an issue...
One piece of advice i can give you is do your homework and get what suits and don't buy blind.

Royster
13-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Having used triplets and doublet refractors for visual use, to my mind triplets are better unless the viewing is awful. At higher mags triplets maintain better contrast and more detail. Of course it depends on optical quality and individual perception but if you’ve got the bucks a triplet is the better choice 😎

Wavytone
13-12-2017, 10:36 PM
IMHO triplets are indeed a waste of money. If you’re after real achromatism get a reflector.

All the triplets I’ve looked through over the years simply remind me of “wannabes” that aren’t quite there compared to a good newtonian, mak or SCT of slightly larger aperture.

Even in small sizes like an 80mm .. I’d question what this really does vs say a 90mm mak, or a 100mm f/5 newtonian well made.

The only issue with that is that there are also a lot of junk Newtonians out there that give the design a poor reputation.

And yes I do own two small refractors - a nice 70mm quad APO and a 70mm f/10 achro for my son which I regard as disposable if he breaks it. But a 90mm mak will slay these two.

/me dons flameproof suit....

bigjoe
14-12-2017, 12:55 PM
My dilemma too Wavy is getting a big and excellent 140 plus with great glass ..though prob Doublet fpl53.. better contrast (less glass).Or just look through my other scopes.

Will wait and see what SW comes out with.... VIZ 150MM ED Apo ; it may be very good for visual, doubles etc..
bigjoe

Wavytone
14-12-2017, 05:39 PM
And is that going to be better than a well made 6”f/8 newtonian ? Or say a 150mm mak newtonian ?

Doubt it, frankly.

And I’m stunned that the mak newtonians in the IIS classifieds didn’t sell - two bargains compared to the equivalent APO. Just goes to show how many here have refractoritis in a bad way.

bigjoe
14-12-2017, 05:56 PM
You may very well be right Wavy..Now if someone wants to sell a 9 inch plus DSO AND PLANET KILLING Maksutov IN THE NEAR FUTURE ....Hint!
bigjoe.:D

Atmos
14-12-2017, 06:11 PM
I’ve got a 4” doublet that isn’t going anywhere. Yes for the price I could have bought a much larger reflector but they’re more trouble (uncomfortable) to Binoview with and the two closed tube reflectors I’ve owned, although optically decent, took forever and an hour to cool.

Wavytone
14-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Hah no chance, Joe - I’ve even left special instructions on my will about this beastie !

Hypothetically better scopes are possible, say a 14” f/7 dob with a zambuto mirror, but I’ve sworn to stop the DIY stuff and I don’t have a workshop anymore - or the time.

bigjoe
14-12-2017, 11:26 PM
BLAST..I KNEW IT..ARGHH!
NOW Ill be stuck with buying just another lowly Apo.
bigjoe.

Wavytone
15-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Joe if you have the patience I'd get on the waiting list for a Zambuto mirror, I'd go for f/6 - f/7 - and when that arrives ask Mental to build a nice compact dob around that using poles, a curved vane spider with small secondary.

But I'm neither young nor patient, anymore.

That, or a good C11 EdgeHD if you have the muscle to lift it safely.

Camelopardalis
15-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Anyone who suggests a reflector for a beginner wanting to break into imaging needs to try it sometime...with a full head of hair...and then count how many are left the next morning ;)

bigjoe
15-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Dont know if Im that patient
anymore Wavy ..Alex does great stuff for sure..
More likely to get an edge 9 1/4 or 11 ; if not the SW semi apo? comin out...was looking at the 130 TS as well , was it good ?..You had this..

I have a large 10 dob. ..And 6 inch doublet by celestron F5 , with an ASPHERIC LENS.. gives great views of all ,with a Baader fringe killer ; Really like refractor/ Mak views better.
PS: Dont mean to highjack the thread!
bigjoe.