PDA

View Full Version here: : Now we're "Citizen Scientists'

ZeroID
27-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Not amateur astronomers ... just an interesting read for you all. pro's & cons.

https://aeon.co/essays/is-grassroots-citizen-science-a-front-for-big-business?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter&utm_campaign=6d2fefd831-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_11_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-6d2fefd831-68966261

:thumbsup:

Rob_K
27-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Hmm, doesn't seem at all like 'Citizen Science' as it applies to astronomy at least. The notion that people do it because they think astronomy science is moribund or a secret society or want to hark back to simpler times when amateurs actually did science is pretty laughable - they assist because they respect science and have an opportunity to contribute. But it's just data, be it measurements, computing power or whatever. Scientists do the science, I think we all understand that. That's their job and they're trained for it. No matter how much I learn about, say, comets from books, magazines, papers, the web etc and how much I observe, photograph & measure comets, I'm never going to be Sekanina!! :lol:

Cheers -

Wavytone
27-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Precisely why I stay right out of it and remain a visual observer - just enjoy and educate the young. And I do have degrees in physics/maths and electrical engineering to boot.

billdan
27-11-2017, 08:39 PM
I thought it was a bit over the top when he (Aeon) implies " Innocent people are unknowingly becoming slaves for the corporate rich to get richer"