PDA

View Full Version here: : Fireball sighting NW NSW

big_dav_2001
23-11-2017, 11:45 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has spotted a large slow-moving fireball from northern NSW at roughly 11pm tonight?? I've seen quite a few reports of a very slow-moving object heading northeast from around Kaputar, Inverell, and into Qld... Just wondering if anyone has any details as to what it could be?

Thanks,
Davin

Wavytone
24-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Helicopter. Meteors aren’t slow moving

LewisM
24-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Swamp gas

big_dav_2001
24-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Helicopter was my thought too, but the people reporting were certain it wasn't a chopper. The reports now span from between SE qld to the blue mountains. The number of people reporting it around the same time is what intrigues me. The original post was on the Higgins Storm Chasing page on Facebook for those who wanna have a look.

For the record, I'm not a UFO nutter shouting little green men or anything. I'm sure there's an explaination for it, I'm just not sure what it is, and this seemed like a pretty good place to ask. I can't find any launches or anything at around that time, and I don't think it was a flare or anything. Thought someone may have been out observing and spotted it too and had some usable info on what it was.

Cheers,
Davin

Wavytone
24-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Another possible is a piece of space junk re-entering the atmosphere - these do appear much slower than meteors, and can be quite bright.

big_dav_2001
24-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Apparently, it's been confirmed as a 'Sky Lantern' (flaming burner in a paper hot-air balloon thing) launched from near Inverell and drifted NE into Qld... Not sure what the reports were from around the Blue Mountains, but the original Inverell and Kaputar sightings have been confirmed/debunked...

Cheers,
Davin