PDA

View Full Version here: : ToUcam on its way!

iceman
19-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I've ordered my ToUcam from Telescopes and Astronomy in SA, they're on sale at the moment, $145, then a bit more for the 1.25" adapter, $60 more for the IR filter and $12 for postage. All up $245 to my door which is a pretty good deal I thought.

I don't have a laptop, but I get one to use every second week, cause i'm on-call 3rd level support every second week for work..

But I swear the astronomy gods ain't happy with me, every week I get the laptop it's cloudy or raining or foggy or something. I've had the laptop this week and haven't had 1 opportunity to get outside with it yet. Not that I really want to struggle with the 4yr old webcam, but it's all practise and technique so the practise will come in handy for when I do get the ToUcam.

Knowing my luck, ToUcam will arrive on Monday, which is when I hand the laptop over to the other on-call person for the week, and then the rest of the week will be beautiful clear nights and mornings.

I really need to get myself a laptop.. time for a new thread for that discussion.

gbeal
20-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Ice,
notwitstanding my comments in the "Laptop" thread, I bought and used for a while a desktop. It was the ultimate in "Scroogeness" but at the sort of money I could pick up a new fast desktop, it was too good to pass up. I do have the luxury of being able to wheel the unit out, and with power a short distance away as well, so apart from the asthetics, this was a perfect system. If you are able, perhaps look at this as an option. Obviously if you need portability then it is not.
Gary

Saturn%5
20-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi Ice.
Well i look foward to seeing you pics of saturn very soon.

:D

iceman
20-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Gary,
I don't want the hassle or inconvience of having to drag out a desktop and monitor.. i know you could pick up a fast desktop cheaper than a fast laptop, but it's the convenience.. i wouldn't be able to store it easily and would have to take it outside in bits.. and when going to a dark sky site, forget it! :)

You've got the luxury of having your dark sky site in your backyard! :)

iceman
23-11-2004, 06:08 AM
The ToUcam arrived yesterday, all looks in good order! I'll install it at work today to test it out and check out the drivers etc.

Looks to be a neat little webcam.. webcam's sure have come a long way.

oh and it comes with a mini table-top tripod which is pretty cool, i've always wanted one of those and now I have one, it was most unexpected!

seeker372011
23-11-2004, 10:37 AM
good , look forward to first light with the Toucam

did the IR filter arrive as well?

I did try to buy it from the same guy in South Australia , left a message on his mobile but he never rang back so I dont know what it is with him

Anyway I'll wait to see how you with your IR filter before I chase it again

iceman
23-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey seeker.

Yep, I got the adapter and the IR filter with the camera. I need to check with him though, because the IR filter is in a "moon filter" box, and the actual filter says "moon" on it as well.. so i'm not sure if he replaced the glass from a cheapie moon filter, or if he put in a moon filter by mistake. The box has a hand-scribed "IR filter" written on it, it's just a bit confusing!

He's been away for a while and apparently has a stack of emails to reply to, so i'd chase up again cause he seems pretty busy.

But I will definitely try some "with" and "without" IR filter shots when I get it all up and running, to see the difference.

iceman
23-11-2004, 11:58 AM
I just spoke with Matt, it is an IR filter.. the colour is actually an aqua/light blue rather than the dark green of the moon filter.. i was looking under dimm lights last night and couldn't tell properly.

Anyway all is in order there! :)

gbeal
23-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Ice,
yes you will love the ToUcam, it does up the frustration levels proportionately, but with practise you will grow to love it.
I suggest IRIS, or if you are not miserable like me K3CCD Tools (you have to pay for this now) for capture, and nothing but Registax for after capture, with maybe Photoshop for final tweaking.
I use 10fps, and for planets normally about 60 seconds of avi. For the moon I normally use about 10 seconds. Depends on the seeing as well, but with really good seeing I can use the 5x Powermate with a 1000mm - 12500mm scope. With the 2160mm scope (focal lengths, don't get excited!!!), I normally use the 2.5x Powermate, or eyepiece projection. Good seeing normally allows about f30, poor much less. If you get stuck sing out.
Gary
P.S, yes it is a luxury, with the only "downside" being I have to shift onto the grass nearby in the summer as the asphalt soaks up the suns heat, and stays warm for ages at night.