View Full Version here: : Photoshop

I.C.D
17-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Hi All
which Photoshop to buy

Ian

that_guy
17-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Photoshop is usually a subscription based service now.i THINK you can still buy it but theyre in the several hundred dollar range. I think the $15 a month is a pretty good price for the photographic suite. Having lightroom handy is a bonus too.

I.C.D
17-11-2017, 11:06 PM
G'Day Tony ,
What are you saying, you pay each month to use Photoshop like your Mobile phone .What happen if you don't use up all your credit do you lose it or it rolls over .

Ian

Joshua Bunn
18-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Hi Ian,

Ive bought my version of photoshop CS outright 5 years ago now, but Im sure what he's saying is you pay your monthly fee, then you use it as much as you like.

billdan
18-11-2017, 01:34 AM
From what I've read, the next version of Windows is going to be a on a monthly subscription basis.

Merlin66
18-11-2017, 07:09 AM
I think the Windows "subscription" has been debunked....
This goes back to 2016.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/685963/Windows-10-Microsoft-Hidden-Subscription-Plan-Operating-System

Andy01
18-11-2017, 08:16 AM
I’ve use Photoshop for almost 20 years now.
The latest version of the subscription model has some truly awesome features that I use all the time, and it’s much faster than the last stand alone version. (PS 6).
It’s worth noting that the PS camera raw plug in no longer supports certain legacy cameras, and that the version compatible with PS6 won’t support current model Dslr’s.
Best to check compatibility with your camera first.

jenchris
18-11-2017, 10:15 AM
I use cs3 and apply some acquired techniqies.
I refuse to pay a subscription to a company that has so much money that they all drive porsches.
What I do is a hobby. Not a crowd funding exercise

glend
18-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I use Photoshop CC, the subscription version, and i am very happy with the monthly cost. I get all the new releases automatically, plus the additional Adobe apps, like Lightroom for no added cost. I had bought an old version of Photoshop initially but as indicated below, there is no support for it now and it lacks the features of Photoshop CC 2018.

multiweb
18-11-2017, 11:25 AM
It's like a monthly rent. Not based on usage. You pay whether you use it or not. If you stop paying you can't open or edit your files any more.

Merlin66
18-11-2017, 12:00 PM
For professional photographers who earn a living by it, I can understand the need for PS and all the bells and whistles it offers.
But for the average astronomer who wants to tweak and enhance one or maybe two images a month, it honestly seems excessive.

I went for the latest PaintShopPro which has 99% of the PS features and capabilities (it also handles astro plug-ins). To me this seems to be a much better cost effective tool.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/ultimate/?currency=en-AU&sourceid=psp10-xx-ppc_brkws&x-vehicle=ppc_pla&skuId=UG&gclid=CjwKCAiArrrQBRBbEiwAH_6sNBsg7 C0eONAB9sjvxPr_GaOuCa-irQ7ZJUA0IjEnaUE9aCRqMWYyQRoCgOgQAv D_BwE

The cost of the upgrade is only $66. A once off payment - drive away, no more to pay.

glend
18-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Actually that is not the case. You can certainly access and edit all your files with no issues, provided you have stored them on your laptop, or an attached TB external drive. There is no requirement to store any files in the Cloud controlled by Adobe.
Your files are not bound in anyway to Photoshop, and they can be opened and revised in any application capable of doing so, they are just normal TIFF or JPGs, or whatever you saved them as. This includes all image layer information.
I can open my files in my old copy of Photoshop on my laptop, i can use PaintShop, etc, no access or control rights issues at all.

multiweb
18-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Bitmaps are not photoshop files. PSD files are photoshop files and cannot be opened if you lapse your monthly payment.

glend
18-11-2017, 11:48 PM
My files are not PSD files. They are saved to my drives as TIFF, and are reopened easily .

skysurfer
19-11-2017, 01:14 AM
Even then, other apps like Gimp or Affinity Photo (an alternative for Photoshop for just US$ 55 once) can open your psd files.
But after the license expires, you cannot use Photoshop itself but you can still open the files.

doppler
19-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Not technically free but not a crack version either (the serial key is provided)
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

anthony.tony
21-11-2017, 06:48 PM
This Is for free - http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress - Dose raw files anf Tiff - Tony

multiweb
22-11-2017, 09:14 AM
So you guys are saying that you can open PSD files in GIMP or other software and access all the layers and filters used? I can't even open CC saved files in CS6. :shrug:

I.C.D
24-11-2017, 09:36 AM
G' Day All,
Thanks for your reply's I'v have gone with Paintshop because of the price and also I think along time a ago I was using Paintshop and found it easy to use, but was told that Photoshop was better.I now know that it was not , so for me it's Paintshop for me so if their any Paintshop use out there and got any tips I could use sent through please .

Ian

Merlin66
24-11-2017, 01:02 PM
+1 for Paintshop Pro

I.C.D
24-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Hi Ken do you have any tips to set up the tool bar
Ian

Merlin66
24-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Ian,
For the spectral image processing (and some solar imaging - white light and Ha) I haven't found the need to do anything with the tool bar and just use it as is.....