PDA

View Full Version here: : Will Heat Damage my Dob

cjmarsh81
07-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I am moving to Far North Queensland in a couple of months and don't really want to put my Dob in the removal as I have seen how they handle their boxes.

I am thinking of putting the OTA in the boot of the car. The only thing I am worried about is we are driving up over 7 days and the boot of the car gets very hot. Will the heat in the boot do any damage to my primary or secondary mirror? I don't know much about the coatings, but I know my primary is made of Pyrex glass.

Thanks

Chris

rmcpb
07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Your scope will be absolutely fine if packed carefully. Your main problem will be the physical shaking in the boot not the heat. Just make sure its secure and not able to roll around and you will be fine.

Good luck with the move :)

ving
07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
7 days of shaking might shake somting loose i guess. this would be my main concern.

iceman
07-01-2007, 01:00 PM
The heat will be fine, as the others have said just pack it securely.

acropolite
07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Chris, one thing to remember when you get to FNQ is that although heat won't worry your dob, humidity will. It's wise to store your OTA in a dry environment during those humid months and to always make sure it's thoroughly dry after use, otherwise it will end up with fungus problems.

cjmarsh81
07-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Was a little worried about the coating flaking off of the primary mirror. I think I will put it in the boot now. I still have the original carton for the scope, however if the removalists pack it into the truck with other boxes on top it will crush.

Thanks acropolite, hadn't even thought about the humidity. The area I move to gets up to 100% humidity every day, going to have to be careful with the scope.

ballaratdragons
07-01-2007, 07:55 PM
CJ,

You can get large bags of Silicon Gel to absord any humidity that gets inside the OTA. It might be worth placing one inside the scope when it is not in use, then cover the whole scope well. Not in plastic though, use something breathable like a sheet.

stephenmcnelley
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi CJ, long time no talk.
Up in the tropics just keep your whole Dob/newt unit covered in a bedsheet in a failrly open room, tube upright and lid on. Providing you use the scope a few times a week it will deter the creepy crawly's from settling.

But that lattitide is a natural dynamo mate, hold tight.:)

cjmarsh81
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Ken, thats a good idea. When I get up there I will start looking for one of those.

Stephen, I haven't been on the forum for quite a while actually. Had my appendix out about a month ago and haven't been well for a while before that. It is really a pain when you can't lift your scope and take it outside :mad2:.
It is getting close to me moving so I will be packing up the scope soon, probably won't use it again until I get to Queensland. Good thing I am moving to dark skies though :thumbsup:.

janoskiss
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
I know from experience that the laminate will start peeling off (esp the strip along the edges of the panels) if you leave the base in the hot sunlit car for one afternoon.

stephenmcnelley
09-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Humidity is a huge factor up there too, it may effect the integrity of the bob base composite materials over time, like 4-5 years or so.
Wishing you well CJ and hoping the clean air and green environment of the region helps your recover, and it is not to much of a culture shock FNQ takes some getting used to, you need a hard skin and a big heart!