PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak Attack IV ..... Coolah, NSW 2018

Kunama
23-10-2017, 09:27 AM
:welcome:

With the weather issues of 2017 at Bango now behind us it is time to start planning for TA#4......

Allan has kindly offered his second home for the event :thanx:

Having visited Allan's DarkSky Lodge last year, I can vouch for its fantastic observing conditions.
In fact I was able to see Polarissima Australis (NGC2573) easily, but more amazingly, the two faint sister galaxies were also seen. :eyepop:

Apparently the taller trees around the property have now shrunk to allow even better views of the magnificent night sky.... :shrug: :D

Look forward to seeing a large gathering......

I will leave to Allan to fill in the details of date and time :)

The rules are simple:
1.You must be prepared to relax and enjoy the magnificent night sky
2.You need not own a Takahashi, but if you do, then please bring it
3.If you have some nice red wine we encourage you to bring it.......
4.Extremely bright head torches will be taped over......
5.See Rule 1 again :D

Atmos
23-10-2017, 09:49 AM
:thumbsup:

glend
23-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Matt, very tempting, especially since Tak-less folks are welcome. Are imagers allowed? I have some basic knowledge of the location, since the dozer was through the place is there room to park my camper. Since Bundy roams, I assume I can bring Toby (the Lab). :question:

Kunama
23-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Hello Glen,
I will leave it to our generous host Allan Wade to expand on the accommodation options but he has promised to clear the driveway overhangs for my motorhome which is 2.5m wide, 3.3m high and 7m long :D

Imaging is fine with us :camera: ..... It is a very friendly casual gathering :argue:

Allan
23-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Matt, you're keen to get this show on the road. :lol:

Let's build this up and get some interest going for a big event. I thought opening it up to everyone, providing you're a decent human, is a good idea. I have so much space, I can set up a roped off area for non Takahashi observers. Plus I can make a 10x10 space off in the bush for anyone who wants to do that imaging stuff. :P

I won't generally be opening up the party to pets, with some exceptions.

To encourage people to make the journey, I propose we start observing on Thursday for three nights. More chance of some decent observing that way, and if we get clouded out at some stage, please see Matts initial post, re the Red Wine.

Temperature wise, it's probably too hot to consider holding the party in the summer. I think we should look towards March as the next opportunity to run the event.

Allan
23-10-2017, 01:34 PM
March 17 2018 is the new moon. I propose March 15,16,17 as a likely date. Though I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

Kunama
23-10-2017, 01:37 PM
March sounds good, ... then a few days at home to recover before the GrandPrix in Melbourne......

Allan_L
23-10-2017, 02:25 PM
:lol: Yes ... Thankyou kind sir..[:grovel: :grovel:].:hi:
sounds like a place to be
looking forward to it

JohnG
23-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately, if it is March, I am out, Snake Valley has the March Camp on then.. :sadeyes:

Cheers

Shano592
23-10-2017, 07:13 PM
John, surely you can be in 2 places at once?

March is sounding good.

I too can vouch for the incredibly dark skies out at Coolah, along with the overall serenity.

Allan, you may have to start tunneling, in order to expand your wine cellar... or to have one. You may need it after this.

Boozlefoot
10-11-2017, 05:36 PM
As an ex-Coolah resident, please count me in. I'll have to stencil the Takahashi symbol on my "off road" dob mount first though!:rofl: (PS freezer suits are probably the order of the day in March!)

Wavytone
10-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Hmm. Can a Russian Tank gatecrash - or is that plough the field ?

LewisM
12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
At the risk of upsetting the applecart and to preserve some respect for the essence and spirit of the original founding "Tak Attack" event (and founder), may I ask that this Coolah Star Party be called just that?

Tak Attack was established for a Takahashi owner/user gatering. To now change this allowing any scope whatsoever is no longer Tak Attack.

Call it Coolah Star Party by any means, but stealing the name Tak Attack for what is now a not exclusively Takahashi event is watering it down just a touch. It's not snobbishness or clique - it's just maintaining the essence of what Tak Attack is - a gathering of Tak owner-users.

Hate that all you like, but it'd be like celebrating Easter and Christmas together, because, hey, they are all relgious events, right?

issdaol
12-11-2017, 11:12 AM
In this instance I’d have to agree......especially if the idea is to attract a larger and broader group of attendees for the event......a more general title might be better.

Kunama
12-11-2017, 03:21 PM
I think the title is the correct one. Not all Takahashi enthusiasts can actually afford one or find one to try out before opening their wallets.....

This is an opportunity to promote that which we all know and enthuse about!

(and an extra bottle of red never goes astray... glug glug :drink:)

Roll on TakAttack#4.....

Allan
13-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Nice photo Matt, you have all the main ingredients there. :)

I never intended this event to be a general star party, but rather a continuation of the idea first conceived by Matt, Phil and myself. It's an honour to host the continuation of that tradition, while inviting others along who may wish to observe through some of the finest Takahashi's ever made.

Kunama
13-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I think the picture has all bases covered Allan :thumbsup: Amazing how enjoyable a banana lounge, pair of binoculars and some coffee and port can be :P

Hopefully the Weather Gods will play ball..... (if not, then there's always April ...)

issdaol
14-11-2017, 03:35 PM
That picture had a bottle of wine in it as well :P ...although will one bottle of Red be enough !!!

Atmos
15-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Looking at the size comparison... I wonder what would happen if you mounted the FOA inside the TSA? Higher aperture longer focal ratio planetary scope!?!

CAAD9
28-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the link from CN Matt.

Kudos for your efforts here and the welcoming approach by sharing your Taks. As it turns out I have had the privilege of observing extensively with an FS102 that belongs to a friend of mine. I sincerely mean the "privileged" part in describing the experience.

I can abide by your five rules, particularly #1. I'm going to try to make it.

Cheers

Adam

theodog
28-11-2017, 07:24 PM
I have a Tak collimating scope.:shrug:

Am I in??:D

Allan
28-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Jeff, considering you're just next door, you are definitely in.

skysurfer
29-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Is it in February ?
May be an option for me (but I have not a Tak, but a humble Chinese 11cm ED).

Allan
21-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Tak Attack #4 is only two new moons away, so it’s time to bump the thread along again. I have time off work locked in this time, and will most likely arrive on Wednesday, March 14 so we can be open for business come the Thursday.

I’m looking forward to catching up with everyone and enjoying some great observing.

Atmos
21-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Oh that came around quickly! It had slipped my mind :/

Kunama
21-01-2018, 03:25 PM
At this stage I will be there on Friday though am negotiating with the boss for a leave of absence for the Thursday as well :mad:

I have been suffering from double vision lately and hopefully that will continue ;);)

The Mekon
21-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Allan,

I am hoping to attend this event. I can be fairly self sufficient at Ilford, so assume the same conditions will apply. Will contact you closer to the time to ensure I bring all that is needed.

Allan
22-01-2018, 08:18 PM
That’s fine, everyone is free to arrive when it suits. I like to spend extra time there when the opportunity presents.

Allan
22-01-2018, 08:29 PM
John I’m looking forward to our catch up. I have a spare, empty third bedroom that you could ‘camp’ in. Though depends how many people attend with a similar idea. The room could probably sleep four. Otherwise there’s plenty of spots to pitch a tent if you feel like doing that.

You’re welcome to use the stove and oven in the kitchen and grab some fridge space. It’s fairly comfortable out there, like Ilford but a bit better.

Allan
22-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Start planning your drive Colin.

Atmos
22-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Think I might just take a week off of work :lol:

Allan
23-01-2018, 06:59 PM
We can do a lot of observing in the big dob in a week!

LewisM
01-03-2018, 05:08 PM
In? IN!!! Is it so big you sit IN the Dob? Sheesh... next you'll tell me you have an APU for it... :P

Kunama
01-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Looking forward to the get-together Allan,
I am still hoping to get there on Thursday evening....

The new scope is progressing slowly so I will only have the binoculars and the FOA with me...

LewisM
01-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Yeah, binoculars....that's no ordinary binocular... :rofl::eyepop:

Inmykombi
02-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Looking forward to a trip to catch up again. My scope is still broken though, so I may just bring my 5" refractor for some light observing, that is if the 32 incher doesn't suck up all the photons from the local vicinity.

Allan
02-03-2018, 11:33 PM
We are getting close now, only two weeks to go. I’ve had quite a few messages from people intending to come along, so that’s good. Mark and Karen from Florida are also making the trip out again, so all we hope for now is some good weather.

I will have my TOA130 out mostly, but plan to pull out the big dob one night for anyone who’s interested to see what a bit of aperture shows.

glend
08-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Well a week out now and the extended forecast is looking pretty good.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/au/coolah/12935/daily-weather-forecast/12935?day=6

:thumbsup:

Allan
08-03-2018, 12:07 PM
The weather is very astro friendly out at Coolah, and I don’t miss many nights due to cloud. So with three nights available it would be an extreme turn of events if we don’t get at least a significant amount of observing.

Atmos
08-03-2018, 01:50 PM
I have been too scared to look!
Got a solar scope to bring for some day time stuff.

Allan
08-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Looking forward to some solar views Colin. I might put my Herschel Wedge in the TAO130 for some white light solar.

theodog
08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Unable to make it:sadeyes:

In Tassie chasing aurora:)

Hope all goes well, clear skies and have fun. See you at the next one:thumbsup:

Camelopardalis
11-03-2018, 05:44 PM
I’ve run out of mango port, so I’ll have to bow out and hope for next time :sadeyes: :thumbsup:

Allan
12-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Looks like Coolah is turning it on for us this week, and we're set for clear and dark skies.

I will be there from Tuesday night, as I have set aside Wednesday to continue building my shed. The gates will be open first thing Thursday morning, and it seems at this stage almost everyone is intending on arriving Thursday anyway.

I propose we christen my almost finished shed on Friday afternoon, so bring along a refreshment or two and a snack and we can gather around and shoot the breeze.

See you all soon.

Allan
12-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Just a couple of house keeping items, for the comfort of everyone staying this week.

I am on limited hot water, so I will have a shower schedule printed up that will limit us to one shower per hour. Just put your name down in a time slot and the shower is all yours.

There is a toilet inside the house with a red light, please use it and not the bush toilet.

Please avoid using headlamps and use minimum red light so everyone can get nicely dark adapted and appreciate how great the sky is out there.

Cheers.

Kunama
13-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the 'heads-up' :thanx:
I'll be there about 7pm Thursday :)
I'll bring my own shower.... :thumbsup:
I'll also bring some black tape just in case Phil (and his head mounted searchlight) does get off his butt and attend..... :lol:
I will also bring something to drink.... :thumbsup:

Atmos
13-03-2018, 10:20 AM
My car is in for a service so I may leave early Thursday morning and make the trek north.

issdaol
13-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately I have a few things going on so may not be able to get there this time.

If I can ......it will only be for Friday for the one night ....with either CN212 or TOA150.

So you may all be spared from my head mounted interrogation beam LoL

Inmykombi
13-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to this trip and catching up.
I will be traveling up with the " convoy " after leaving the twin servos on Thursday morning.
That way we can all follow Alan L to Putty again.;)

PS, Cant fond a supplier, of multiple apple charlottes. ( real ones without cream )
If anyone finds a shop that can sell them, put me down for a few, as I would be glad to pay for a few to share around.:D

Allan
13-03-2018, 10:44 PM
I’m looking forward to everyone making the trip, and will miss those who can’t.

Phil I’m hanging to look through the TOA150, I hope you make it. Otherwise give it to Matt and we will take care of it for you.

Atmos
13-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I wonder if Phil would mind if I “borrowed” it down in Melbourne ;)

Allan
14-03-2018, 06:20 AM
He’s a good bloke, I’m sure he will be fine with that.

Shano592
14-03-2018, 10:34 AM
I hope this weekend is a dark-sky spectacular for you all. For those who are yet to make Coolah's acquaintance, I will leave the awe to each of you individually.

I'll be stuck here, playing my cricket grand final, then shooting off to faraway lands.

All the best. The images you post are going to be excellent!

issdaol
14-03-2018, 06:01 PM
💡💡💡 Sounds like a potential market opening for Tak TOA150 hire services

Atmos
14-03-2018, 07:13 PM
I need a target to photograph!
Thursday night is getting 7.5 hours of RGB on the Running Chicken... after that... I’m not sure and open to suggestions.

glend
14-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Glad to hear there will be someone else imaging.
Re your question, how about NGC3199, above Eta C but perhaps more a narrowband target. Time of night, or morning, may have other possibilities. We can discuss tomorrow.

glend
18-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Thank you Allan for the opportunity to visit your Coolah homestead/observatory. Its a wonderful location and the work you have done already is inspiring to other wantabe observatory builders (even if the big obs is not built yet, the temp one seems fine).
Great to catch up with other IIS travellers. I think Colin (from Melbourne) had the longest drive. Thanks for the amenities they were appreciated, the big shed makes for a great party space. Looking forward to cooler days ( it was hot) at Coolah. The Coolah Bakery was a great daytime diversion.:thumbsup:
Cheers Glen

Kunama
18-03-2018, 12:53 PM
My thanks also to Allan and Jordan for sharing their place. Three great nights of observing under such a dark sky. The sky particularly last night was simply superb.

With a 100kmh tailwind I managed the trip home in record time at 10L/100Km !!!! (Sorry if my early departure woke the sleeping).

I was especially pleased to get to see some of my favourite targets in the 32" Black Widow SDM scope. What a marvellous instrument. Seeing the real detail in the Homunculus Nebula, Centaurus A, Sombrero, B33& IC434, as well as many other targets was a treat that will stay with me forever.

The Tak fraternity was rather conspicuous by their absence, so I very much appreciated Colin making the journey north so that we could field at least 5 of Takahashi's finest. Thankfully there were many fine folk from Sydney and the Central Coast to share the three evenings.

The "Door-raising Party" was well attended with Beer, Wine and snacks for all.

Thanks to all who attended, hope to catch up again,

Matt

P.S. This is what the outburst of Eta Carina looks like in a 32" scope

Inmykombi
18-03-2018, 09:15 PM
I would like to thank Allan for his invitation to stay and for opening up his home for us to use while there. The Skies over the three nights was amazing, and looking through that large Dob for me was just jaw dropping.the vast array of scopes there made for interesting and varied views of many favourite and some never seen objects. Hot days but lovely cool nights made it easy to sleep. The local pub down the road was a nice pace to sip a cool Ale on one of the days as well. “ I’ll be back” as they say for more of the dark skies. Thanks again Alan.

Geoffro

Allan_L
19-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Thanks Allan for your boundless hospitality,
and everybody else who made the trip a great success.
It was a treat to see through so many fine instruments.
A special time.
As usual, Coolah did not disappoint.:thanks:

LewisM
19-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Then ya can't call it Tak Attack :lol:

Glad you all had fun. The dust storm in Canberra made sure we didn't get to have fun in your absence. the dust is still lingering today.

Atmos
19-03-2018, 11:31 AM
After three nights in Coolah I spent Sunday night at Heathcote and was greeted with, instead of nice black dark skies, these muddy skies to which I was no longer accustomed. Granted, Heathcote takes me a whole 75 minutes to reach and not the better part of 12 hours ;)

Tuesday night I’ll setup in my Melbourne backyard where I’ll be unable to see either of the Magellanic Clouds as naked eye objects and forget what the dark skies of Coolah even look like.

May have spent 24 hours in the car over two days but the views through the Black Widow were worth it.

The Mekon
19-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Yes, thanks so much Allan for making the drive worth while. I dislike driving long distances, so for me, the reward must measure up. Your hospitality and skies surely did.
Looking forward to the SDM gathering next year.

(and thanks for having the biggest orb weaver I have ever seen!)

John

Allan
19-03-2018, 09:51 PM
I really enjoyed my five days at Coolah this month and want to thank everyone for coming along and making a great time of it. I'm glad the sky was clear and dark, with the last night being particularly good and typical of what the place has to offer. Made the long drive, especially for Colin, Matt and John worth while.

It was good to show everyone through the 32", and I'll have some memories myself to keep from that night. I did have a look at a Hubble image of the Homunculus, and thought what we were seeing in the eyepiece wasn't far short of the photo.

Thanks again everyone for the door raising help, the wine gifts, and great company. Until next time, Ciao.

Rick Petrie
20-03-2018, 09:57 PM
A huge thank you to Allan and Jordan for your hospitality and having us all as your guests for the weekend. It was so good to have such serenity after such an extremely difficult year and I really appreciated your welcome. You have a marvellous telescope there, The Black Widow, and she delivered some axtraordinary sights in the dark skies of Coolah. Great memories,great company and nice to meet all the Tak guys and thanks to them for allowing us the pleasure of looking through their scopes also. Cheers Allan and thanks again.

Allan
21-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Colin and Glen, do you have a link to the images you took? I would be interested to see what you did.

Atmos
21-03-2018, 09:37 AM
M78 (https://www.astrobin.com/full/337997/0/)
M8 (https://www.astrobin.com/full/337989/0/)

And I’m still working on the Running Chicken :)

Allan
21-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks Colin, just found yours. They are fantastic.

Glen, what did you think of the Coolah sky for imaging? Unfortunately you left a day early as Saturday night was superb.

glend
21-03-2018, 10:27 AM
It was good Allan, no sky darkness complaints here. I was aiming at imaging objects in the northern section of the sky, which i can't access from home because of trees, so i neglected the obvious bright wonders in the south.

Imaging does take a fair amount of sky time and Seeing affects, and pesky clouds can affect the results. I did get some RGBL exposures for the Christmas Tree Cluster/Cone Nebula area on Thursday night when it got high enough. I am still working on processing.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/337815/0/

On Friday i was trying for the Markarian Chain in Virgo and started on that but the wind came up a bit and cloud moved in and stopped progress before it got high enough to build enough exposures for a good image.

But I was looking through other scopes visually on both nights while waiting for my target to get to altitude; and visually things were wonderful.

Looking at Colin's Lagoon, which must have been taken on Saturday night, i can see how the conditions improved for that last night.

Allan
21-03-2018, 03:19 PM
That’s a great image Glen. Visually it’s such a nice target to look at as well. Someone mentioned you were doing the Antennae Galaxies. They’re one of my favourites in the big scope.

glend
21-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks Allan, yes i did shoot the Antenna galaxies onThursday night while waiting for the Cone to rise. I have not processed those exposures yet. Soon.

jakob
22-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Allan,
Many Thanks for the fantastic days under dark skies. I really enjoyed your hospitality and the company of all your friends.
Its been my best observing for a long time topped off with the view through you "Black Widow".

Here a couple of snaps with my Point and Shoot Camera.