PDA

View Full Version here: : a fishy splat.

alocky
22-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Here's a quick 4 hours on M74, 12 5 minute subs each filter. It took three nights to get this data due to the smoke and clouds. More excuses - this object culminates only 45 degrees above the horizon, in this case the Perth CBD which is only 10km away. However - there's a satisfying number of faint fuzzies in the background, and I'm reasonably happy with the detail.
Processing in pixinisght, with a tiny bit of decon on the luminance.
Scope 16"f3.6 ASA on an unguided DDM85 mount with a QSI683 camera.
http://www.astrobin.com/full/317704/B/ hi-res, warts and all...
thanks for looking!

willik
22-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Very nice image good detail Andrew.
Martin WA

RickS
22-10-2017, 06:31 PM
That's a tough challenge, Andrew, but a decent result!

astroron
22-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Nice result considering the conditions you had to endure Andrew.:thumbsup:
This galaxy is worth keeping an eye on as it has had three supernova this century,the last one only four years ago.
Three supernovae have been identified in M74: SN 2002ap, SN 2003gd, and SN 2013ej.
Low surface brightness but with very recognizable star patterns is worth checking on.
Cheers:thumbsup:

strongmanmike
22-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Tough galaxy this one Andrew, especially from mid southern latitudes and through a city light dome :eyepop:...but a respectable result none the less with some good detail in the bright inner areas :thumbsup:

Mike

multiweb
23-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Very nice shot. Good details in the core and arms. :thumbsup:

gregbradley
23-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Not a bad effort Andrew. I imaged this one a little while ago and its a beautiful target but hard to get deep enough without lots of hours.

Not sure its worth the investment of time and effort.

The brighter galaxies will be far less light pollution affected.

Greg.

alocky
23-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I only get a few hours at a time on it, but there's signal there, and I wonder how much more I can get with a few more nights. Still - it's a massive improvement over what I got with the 10" at the same location.

cheers - sure is a pretty thing, this one.

Thanks Mike - definitely a test case for any more bright ideas I have on beating light pollution.

Thanks ROn - it's a bit of a favourite of mine visually, and I remember the 2013 sn - I was a bit grumpy because it was on my visual list for the month, but the sn was discovered long before I had a chance of getting it!

Thanks Rick - given the filthy weather we're still having over here I'm tempted just to go for something a lot brighter!

Thanks Martin!

markas
25-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Nice result, Andrew - especially considering the conditions!

Mark

E_ri_k
25-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Looks good for only 4 hours Andrew. Nice detail and colour.

Erik

Prickly
30-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Hi Andrew

Great shot. Do you use a light pollution filter with any of your shots? Perhaps this might improve signal to noise a bit for you. Terrific result regardless particularly from suburbia.

Like you I am close to the city centre which is a real challenge for dim (and in my case bright!) objects. Great effort.

Cheers
David

alocky
01-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Hi David, I've experimented with the Baader CLS filter, but never been happy with the resulting colour balance, even shooting mono with LRGB filters. It's probably worth having another go with my current setup to see if it helps though. The streetlight that shines right into my dome is a brand new blue LED that appears to be made of supernovas, so I'm not sure the CLS will help much..

Thanks Erik - it's deceptively faint.

Thanks Mark. I just need to wait until the kids have finished school, I've retired, and then it's off to a dark sky with this thing..

Prickly
02-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Hi Andrew

Ive never tried the idas filter but that could be another option. Supposedly fairly neutral in terms of colour balance. If you can find someone who has one could be worth a test. The lp filters certainly cut the light pollution background substaintially from the city. Not sure about supernova lights but I sympathise and relate to the issue. For me ilp filters are a must. Narrowband of course is the other option albeit more extreme. ... but generally pleasing.

Cheers David