PDA

View Full Version here: : Dismantling my Cano 70-200mm Lens

leon
20-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys I am about to dismantle my Canon 70-200mm F2.8L lens due to it being very loose in the middle section, due to some loose screws.
This is not uncommon from what i have researched and the job is quite simple if one is game enough, and I'm up for it.:)

It is however mentioned that this should be done in a air conditioned room, but wouldn't it be be better if both the room and the lens were at the same temp during the job to reduce condensation. :shrug:

Any suggestions would be appreciated, :)
Thanks

Leon :thumbsup:

Wavytone
20-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Alex,

It's not about temperature. The concerns are dust, and humidity.

leon
20-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Yea Alex that did cross my mind, you are probably right.

Leon

JA
20-10-2017, 10:13 PM
I posted something on this once in response to another query.I will see if I can find it

EDIT.... I just checked it was yours :D
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1334551&highlight=canon#post1334551

regarding the environment... high humidity is not good. An air conditioned, low dust environment seems like a good idea. I wouldn't have too many concerns otherwise, but if it gives peace of mind leave it there for a hour or two for thermal equilibrium. Good luck!

Best
JA

leon
21-10-2017, 08:53 AM
JA thanks, I am not worried in doing the job, I suppose i just don't want it full of moisture when it is put back together.
The humidity here in Yeppoon is pretty high at the moment so maybe i had better leave it until i get back to Ballarat in a few weeks.

Many Thanks.

leon

xelasnave
21-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Leon

How about this for an idea.

You get a box, a carton from the super market for example and cut some holes where you can put your arms, with your sleeves rolled up to create a seal and cut a viewer section with some glass or clear stuff so you can see the job..you have an environment that you presumably can control as to dust and moisture, a fan and filter sort of thing.

If you do this sort of work from time to time perhaps consider building a unit made with the most suiitable materials, surfaces that hold dust or reject it, neater seals, and a thermometer and a switch for something and built in lights.

alex

Alex

leon
21-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Certainly something to consider Alex, thank you.

Leon