PDA

View Full Version here: : Synscan Handset intermittently failing on startup

Starrymessenger
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I’ve been having some problems with my Synscan handset throwing a “Declination motor not connected” error when starting up my HEQ5Pro. I have had to tape the lead from the socket up to apply tension to it so that the error doesn’t happen, with limited success.

I decided to dismantle the socket-power plug- switch housing and resolder the pins of the socket. All done ok but to no avail! Even though a multimeter showed good contact with all the 8 pins in the socket...... so... The lead!

As a first port of Call, I remembered the KISS principle.
I inserted the RJ45 plugs into my crimping tool, and squeezed the pins several times (there WAS some slack there).

On testing startup multiple times, with none of the taping I had to do previously, I now get 100% success on startup, with no errors!
I had visions of having to install new plugs! 😊😊👍:rofl::lol:

doppler
09-10-2017, 10:05 PM
You can use an ordinary cat 5 network cable as a replacement. I use a longer one when imaging so I can sit at the laptop and control the scope.

Wavytone
11-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Plugs and sockets are the most likely to fail - as in this case. Cables second most likely. Cables and plugs & sockets are very last-century, frankly.

There’s a lot to be said for a wireless connection (wifi or Bluetooth) and I really hope SW get their act together on this.