PDA

View Full Version here: : NBN Grrrffrr !

brian nordstrom
06-10-2017, 11:14 AM
:mad2: , Any one else having rubbish speed with this service :rofl::rofl: , what a joke !.
We were pushed into this as the ADSL is no more and all I can say is I am a very unhappy customer .

About 3 weeks ago our speed dropped to 12 Mbs , last weekend it was 6.7 so I wrung Telstra and complained .

I must give credit the person was professional and helpful , anyway they put me on a complaint list and this week I got a call to say a technician will be around between 8-12 tomorrow. (Saturday) , good work Telstra :thumbsup: .

But. ! Last night it took forever to login an 4 attempts at the Telstra speed test later I was humming along at :help: 2.7 Mbs :eyepop: Yes bloody near un-usable , it gets worse. ,,,,,,,

I was ready to pack it in when at 6pm I tried 7 times to log on to the speed test (kept saying unable to connect) but finally got it and ,,,,,, are you ready !�� .

0.9 download and 0.7 upload ,,, I shut down.

Roll on tomorrow :D .

NBN here is a joke.

Brian

Atmos
06-10-2017, 11:17 AM
I’ve heard dozens of complains about the NBN ain the radio over the last two days, I’m just thankful that it isn’t even coming to my area until 2019-2020 :)

LewisM
06-10-2017, 11:34 AM
We get a constant down 6 up 0.2 on ADSL if any consolation lol. We are NBN ready but they say another year...

doppler
06-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Yup I'm still waiting for the high speed part, 4.4 mbs down 4.7 mbs up on a 25mbs plan. My ISP emailed me and thought it was a bit slow and suggested that I downgrade to the basic 12 mbs plan until the NBN co sorted their sh-t out. Mine is constant so just enough to stream netflix but still what a joke.

pjphilli
06-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Fortunately our area is not NBN Ready (HaHa) yet and I dread being kicked off my current Optus cable service giving a constant 30Mbit down/ 1.7Mbit up service. I understand that we have 18 months to decide after nofitication and I read somewhere that Telstra had advised one customer to wait out this period. Some of the current insanity may have subsided by then (hope springs eternal!).

The_bluester
06-10-2017, 12:07 PM
For Brian, what tech are you on? FTTP or FTTN?

Both have issues with congestion due to the service providers not buying enough bandwidth from NBN and/or skimping on backhaul from the NBN to their own networks. Telstra is not exactly known for buying loads of NBN capacity either. Backhaul or CVC congestion usually shows up in peak time slowdowns.

Added to that, if you are on FTTN there is the added layer of something warm and brown that comes from recycling a practically moribund network the basis of which originates 50 years before the internet and trying to make it serve! In NBN land it is known as NodeLotto. To a smaller extent that applies to HFC as well.

Your speed and stability suggests FTTN?

raymo
06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm on the 25 plan, and during low traffic times I get around 23d and 4up, but during high traffic times I get around 3 to 3.5d and 4up. I'm many hundreds
of metres from the node.
raymo

Shano592
06-10-2017, 12:56 PM
If you are lucky it is only 50 years young! When my area went live, I complained about line noise, so they replaced a large chunk of the copper from the pillar to the pit. Then the pit flooded, and they replaced the copper to the boundary. Because of the node distance, I still only get 30/12, but it is consistent.

Good old NodeLotto. At work I won, but at home, I'm a long way off.

My RSP changed their backhaul provider, because there were a lot of the problems you are describing, Brian. Since then, those problems have vanished. I have set up 4 connections using them, and all report stable speeds and connections. I think your problem starts with a capital 'T'!

Imme
06-10-2017, 01:24 PM
NBN....pfft!!!

Can't get it where I am, mobile broadband is all I have (satellite a waste of time due to speed and data limits)

Funnily enough the last 24 hours I have had absolutely shocking speeds.....down to 0.6 this morning!!!! Normally 15+)

Could it be a bigger issue rather than just NBN Brian is experiencing???

Exfso
06-10-2017, 03:15 PM
I was with IINet on a 100/40 plan and regularly got 3/.8 during congested periods. I am 150 metres from the node. After IINet told lies and said they had fixed the congestion problem, the crap speeds continued. I got the TIO involved and got out of my contract, now with Aussie Broadband who will not add more people than their bandwidth allows, and in peak periods, still get 70Mbps. Also you don't have to wait hours to talk to some clown in Manila or similar. All the Aussie people are in Australia and employ Australians who have a command of the Queens English. Best move I ever made, having said all that I am still having humongous dropouts, not the ISP fault but NBN. So far since connected in excess of 400 dropouts, 8 visits by NBN techs who know jacksh1t. The last guy this week rocked up, said he was going to the pillar up the street. I checked 10mins later, no sign of him having ever been there, and he signed off on the job at the time checked on him saying no fault found. What a bunch of morons. BTW from what I can see 99% of their techs originate from the sub-continent..who have what I believe to be absolute minimal training in both technical expertise and the English language. It is no wonder NBN Co have a crap name.:mad2:
Oh yeah as I type this I am waiting for yet another "tech" after Aussie gave NBN a serve for such a lame excuse to sign off on the fault. The mind boggles!!
In the last 24 hours my connection had dropped out 8 times, need I say more......
I can see where the problem lies, but stuffed if they can, my SNR margin varies between 2dB and 6550dB on my upstream where the downstream is absolutely stable at 13dB
My attainable downstream is constant at 117Mbps and upstream varies between 22Mbps and 55Mbps with actual downstream constant at 109Mbps and upstream variation between 16Mbps and 44Mbps. Go figure!!

75BC
06-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Taking a risk mentioning this here as I'm very technically challenged and don't fully understand these things. Someone here may be able to confirm / deny / elaborate but I heard that the slow speeds people are experiencing is because the Internet Providers are the cause because they are not buying enough ________ (not sure of the term) from NBN. So when things get busy customers get a big drop in speed.

We don't get it till next year and haven't needed it yet but I like watching movies and all our local video shops have closed so it seems streaming will be the most convenient or only way. I've spent a good chunk of my money on my home theatre so need faster internet to stream full def sound and picture.

LewisM
06-10-2017, 04:49 PM
I spoke with Telstra recently re our speed. Was told we were on ADSL (not ADSL2), despite nominating we wanted ADSL2 and were told there was a slot available for us at sign up. I then - politely - asked to check for a free slot NOW, and she said ADSL2 was being phased out for the NBN (next year) and they won't even send a tech to try.

Complete BS. We got MUCH better internet in QLD compared to here in the national's a$$hole...errr....capital.

I never cared much before, but when we get 30 or 40 drop outs a day, and the wife cannot even connect to 5G on her new phone (mobile data, not wifi!) or laptop (yet I can), it kind of wears thin. Not all Telstra's fault with all the defence organisations here running god knows what jammers...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

toc
06-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Everyday I think how lucky I was to get labors NBN. In three years of service the only break in service I have had was when the fibre optic cable fell out of the modem :)

xstream
06-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Ummm, 5G is not even expected in Australia until 2020.

w0mbat
06-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I am amazed to hear you say this. I am on NBN satellite and get consistent 24 Mb down and 4 or so up. Ping times are consistently close to what is theoretically possible (less than 600 mS) due to the 70000 KM round trip. 45 GB peak plus 65 GB off peak for $65 per month. HD streaming no problem at all.
As with any internet service it all depends on the integrity of your service provider....I am with IPStar.
Ian

PCH
06-10-2017, 06:11 PM
That sounds like a good deal! Is satellite open to all of us? Or do those of us in the metro area have to pick from the regular FTTN or FTTP options?

doppler
06-10-2017, 06:18 PM
That wouldn't be any good for me, we used to use up 200 gig a month with asdl2, but unlimited now for $69 per month (and no telstra land line to pay for)

Imme
06-10-2017, 06:19 PM
You're doing well at 24mb.....my installation (6months ago) would slow to under 1 at times...terrible!

After 3 x tech visits they allowed me to cancel the contract without penalty

w0mbat
06-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Satellite is installed for free by the Commonwealth Govt. so they will only install it where there is no other practical service. Anyone can enquire but you will soon be rejected if anything else is available. It is intended for remote areas.
Ian

w0mbat
06-10-2017, 06:24 PM
As I said it all depends on the service provider. A neighbour about 1 KM from me and had similar issues. He changed to IPStar and is now happy. I won't mention the shonky one he left.
Ian

csb
06-10-2017, 06:28 PM
I've been with Virgin mobile WiFi for over 5 years. Don't know the speed but usually 1gb downloads in 10-15 minutes.

Because of these issues being reported, I think I'll stay with mobile broadband.

Imme
06-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Might try them....thanks for the tip

LewisM
06-10-2017, 06:52 PM
5Ghz WIFI I meant. (on 802.11ac)

brian nordstrom
06-10-2017, 07:12 PM
:shrug: Thanks Paul , not sure what I am on just the good old 25mbs plan ,,, how do I find out ? ,,
,, yes " Warm and brown stuff ;) " for sure .

Anyway when I got home just now I turned my wifi hub off and rebooted again ( 50th time :mad2: in 3 weeks ) and I am now on 17.6 up and 4.5 down which is ok and its 4pm here , peak ?
yea I think so but it will slowly die off until the SOS starts its cycle again and I know it will be back to 5-8mbs by 6pm ,,, 1-2mbs by 7pm and so on .
rubbish :mad2: .

But the Tech will be here tomorrow and he IS !!!
going to earn his saturday wage tomorrow .

Brian.

The_bluester
06-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Both of those sound like exactly what I was talking about.

75BC, the term you are looking for is CVC, which is "Connectivity virtual circuit" if FTTN is big Mal's legacy, CVC is the ALP's. It is a stupid way to build in costs to pay for the NBN as it is expensive (It effectively is a bandwidth charge) and the cost discourages providers from buying enough. When your provider hits the CVC they have bought at the POI you are connected to, all of their customers on that POI choke for data. The same happens when they don't have enough backhaul Which the damn stupid (In this instance) ACCC forced them to buy or build to 121 geographically separated locations rather than the 14 that the original NBN design called for if they want to be a national provider.

I am with Aussie Broadband, who are rapidly gaining a reputation of being one of the best providers, if not particularly among the cheapest. Unfortunately I am on a congested fixed wireless tower and there is not a thing they can do about that. It is a bit like node lotto, except in this case it is a matter of what kind of success ballast your tower is groaning under. We get up to about 45/15 on a 50/20 plan in low times and single digits each way in peak times and no end in sight.

brian nordstrom
06-10-2017, 07:14 PM
:question: yes I am the last house in a dead end street about 100 metres from our node also .

Brian.

brian nordstrom
06-10-2017, 07:16 PM
:D Thanks for that , I will find out tomorrow Shane .

Brian.

luka
06-10-2017, 11:04 PM
And officially we are behind Kenya in terms of internet speeds (http://www.smh.com.au/business/innovation/life-in-the-slow-lane-australia-has-slower-internet-than-kenya-20171003-gytril.html) now. Currently 50th on the world rankings... see how low we will go before things start getting better.

brian nordstrom
07-10-2017, 12:23 AM
;)$90 p/month bring it on . Did a speed test just now ,,, WOAW !!! 17.6 up and 4.5 down .
9.24 pm local time tho .

Sad situation
Brian.

brian nordstrom
07-10-2017, 02:46 AM
`7 x
Brian