PDA

View Full Version here: : Faint face on galaxy (IC5332)

Paul Haese
05-10-2017, 11:19 PM
This is a not often imaged galaxy or so it seems. Not a lot of images come up on a google search.

This is an integration of 9.7 hours. Luminance subs were 10 minutes and RGB subs were 5 minutes. That is something a little different from what I have been accustomed to doing in the past. That said the image could do with a lot more data but I am still struggling with focusor issues whilst I wait for an adapter to arrive for the Atlas focusor.

I really like this field, there is so much to see; many back ground galaxies of differing morphology. Just off to the right of the main target there looks like a string of very distant galaxies. If I doubled or tripled the integration time I wonder how far back I could see?

The main target is a near face on galaxy with visible star formation ongoing. The structure is quite tight with two main arms that branch into more arms further out from the core. There are also more distant galaxies which can be seen through the arms.

Click here (http://paulhaese.net/IC5332.html) for the larger resolution image.

Placidus
06-10-2017, 06:09 AM
Bloody hell, that's breathtaking. Everything about it is beautiful.

gregbradley
06-10-2017, 08:26 AM
A beautiful rendition of a very faint galaxy.

Greg.

Peter Ward
06-10-2017, 08:59 AM
I like this one. The bright star punctuates the significant depth of this field. Well done :thumbsup:

Slawomir
06-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Great image Paul. Respectfully n skilfully processed data. I love it. Good to see your Newtonian performing so well :thumbsup:

Andy01
06-10-2017, 09:40 AM
That's a big wow from me too :)

However, I think it's even better without the distracting bright star at 10 o'clock.

An old trick in pro photography is to turn the image upside down and see where the eye goes first...inevitably it will be to the brightest part of the image.
That's great if that's where you want it to go, but in this case, it's dominating the galaxy which is the hero of the story imo.

Soo many galaxies to see, wonderful field indeed - great stuff Paul :thumbsup:

willik
06-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Quality image very nice shot good detail very sharp and clear
Martin

Rob_K
06-10-2017, 12:54 PM
I can't see the faint face on the galaxy Paul. :shrug: ;) Very nice job! :thumbsup:

Cheers -

Paul Haese
06-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.:)

Thanks Suavi, it's just starting to show me some results, though there is a bit more work to fine tune it yet.

Thanks Andy, I had considered rotating the image but I had grown accustomed to ignoring the bright star in the foreground. Most of the time I just ignore stars altogether excepting when stars in my images are not round, then it bothers me.

I get what you are saying about composition and making sure the galaxy is focus of the image, but sometimes bright stars just get in the way no matter where they are placed. :shrug:

multiweb
06-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Nice fov and great details in the face on spiral. :thumbsup: I kind of like the bright foreground stars as well. As Peter said earlier it adds depth and context.

Placidus
06-10-2017, 08:00 PM
As well as big bright things, the eye is also drawn to parts of the image with special meaning.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170925111352.htm

For me, the spiral galaxy attracts my attention much more than the star. In fact, the very first thing I was aware of seeing was the small distorted galaxy immediately bottom right of the main fellow. The big bright star didn't distract.

Ryderscope
06-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Stunning Paul. A brilliant spiral formation and intriguing field.

Atmos
06-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Fantastic Paul! It’s all very nicely resolved, even the dozens of background galaxies.
From a judging point of view Andy is right but I do agree that it helps give the field depth :)

RickS
06-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Great stuff, Paul. I'd love to see a deeper version. There are some very cool little galaxies in the FOV as well as the main attraction.

atalas
07-10-2017, 03:12 AM
Yep she's a beauty Paul :thumbsup:...sitting in a wonderful field too....wouldn't hurt to reduce that big blue halo a bit.

Funny thing is I find myself wishing you had a bit more focal length on It :P

marc4darkskies
07-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Really pretty field Paul. :thumbsup: I agree that more depth would be nice but it's still a compelling image.

Camelopardalis
07-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Nice one Paul, that’s a lovely little spiral :thumbsup:

How do you like your newt?

Paul Haese
09-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. I'll try for a deeper image once the new adapter arrives. The Atlas can at least hold camera unlike the Moonlite.

Funny man Louie. If only I could afford a 16";).

If I get some time in the next few weeks I'll take a look at that halo ones I get a bit more data. There is still plenty of time left on it.

Thanks Dunk. I am liking the speed of the Newtonian but not the finicky tilt issues. I think the mirrors are well figured but there is a fair bit of fine tuning that needs resolving. It's a little more than my previous GSO scopes, but par for the course.

DaveNZ
09-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Nice image Paul. Good detail with plenty of interesting faint fuzzies.

atalas
09-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Funnier after a few drinks mate :lol:

E_ri_k
13-10-2017, 08:12 AM
looks great Paul. Its very pleasing galaxy to look at.

batema
15-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Beautiful image Paul and a lovely field of view.

Mark

DJT
15-10-2017, 07:18 PM
That’s really nice, Paul. Big fan of the splattering of galaxies including the very wierd one below the feature.
Good to see you taming the scope.:thumbsup:

alpal
15-10-2017, 08:38 PM
That's a great image Paul,
I didn't even know about that galaxy.
Newts shall live forever.

cheers
Allan