PDA

View Full Version here: : DIY spectroscope

p1taylor
04-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Hi All, At last I got my DIY spectroscope going, this is a neon light bulb I got, is there a way to get it to luck the same as the ones you see in various books with the peaks up from a line

peter

Merlin66
04-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Peter,
You can use the continuum normalisation (check the BASS help files) this will convert the background continuum to a straight line.
I should say, however that you seem to be recording a lot of background light.
The neon spectrum usually has a very low background continuum, with significant emission peaks.

pmrid
22-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Always been fascinated by spectra: Back in the dark ages, in 1963 I think, when I was still in High school, I made an optical spectroscope out of bits of scrap - even made by own slit mechanism. "Borrowed" gas discharge tubes from the school science lab and took pictures through a real box-Brownie - yes they made them with real film. Took photos of various spectra - to the limit of the school's supply of tubes. The tubes and lenses were cribbed from anywhere I could find them. I suppose it was a miracle it worked optically but it did.

Peter

Merlin66
22-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Peter,
Interesting to hear your story....
The recent popularity of 3D printing has given rise to a growth in DIY spectroscopes. There's at least three designs being "tested"
Could be the way forward.....
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astronomical_spectroscopy/conversations/messages/13882