PDA

View Full Version here: : Ngc 300

Atmos
01-10-2017, 11:00 PM
The two times I've ever tried imaging this galaxy have been on nights of exceptionally poor seeing. CloudFreeNight showed the deepest reddest jet stream over Heathcote and I figured I'd brave it and see what I got. 4" seeing deconvoluted down to 3" :P
1 hour of each RGB, I'd set up for 1.5 hours of luminance but the driver on my QHY163 crashed, had the USB Traffic set too high.

I've created a synthetic luminance from the RGB and done what I could. Mostly wanted to play with the new PhotometricColourCalibration, had it set at G2V which gave the most accurate results, using a galaxy setting had the spiral arms a bit too blue.

Higher Res (http://www.astrobin.com/full/314452/B/)

Has nothing on the resolution that some have achieved but then again, you cannot polish a turd :P Noise reduction has been extensive. Don't know why this has been my default bad seeing galaxy two years running :P

alpal
01-10-2017, 11:09 PM
It's not bad Colin,
it's a lot better than my pathetic attempt from Melbourne.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24719437@N03/22116587358/in/photostream
At least you got some colour.

cheers
Allan

Atmos
01-10-2017, 11:18 PM
34% moon that has virtually set before I even started on the Red so dark skies help.

Placidus
02-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Brave to venture out in such seeing! Despite the efforts of the wind god, you've got very good detail in the two big groups of distant orange galaxies top left and top right, and the intriguingly distorted spiral at bottom right looks just as it should.

multiweb
02-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Great colors Colin. :thumbsup: Last night we had good seeing in Sydney :P

Atmos
02-10-2017, 12:15 PM
I in part wanted to see whether Meteoblue and it’s seeing index was even kinda close. CloudfreeNight showed very bad jet stream and Meteoblue showed a bad jet stream but still reasonable seeing. Seeing was rubbish haha

If my camera driver didn’t crash I’d have gotten 1.5 hours of Lum which would have really helped! I’m still messing around the LocalNormalisation script so I do hope to fiddle with the full frame soon enough.

We probably had sub 0.5” seeing in Vic last night behind the clouds ;)

atalas
02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
:lol:

Good work Col :thumbsup:It is a tough nut needing many hours of good seeing and transparency.

Octane
02-10-2017, 02:54 PM
You can't polish a turd, but, you can roll it in glitter. :P

Good effort!

H

markas
02-10-2017, 03:24 PM
This a tough one - very low surface brightness. I've two shots at it; happy with neither.

I think you've got the colours really well.

Mark

PS: Macedon has rotten conditions recently, very like you are reporting from Heathcote......

strongmanmike
02-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Good one Col, still looks reasonable despite the conditions, I like the pink HII regions and as M&T pointed out the background galaxies are still quite evident :thumbsup:

Mike

Slawomir
02-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Nice image Colin :thumbsup:

What telescope did you use for this one?

RickS
02-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Not a bad result, Colin.

willik
02-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Very nice image Colin not easy Galaxy to image looks good
Martin

Geoff45
02-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Nicely done Colin. Being quiet faint it's not an easy object, but you'vr still got some good detail there. I guess the size of the galaxy helps. I had a go at it the other night. Seeing was mediocre (3.5 or so). I just took colour hoping to get some good L when the seeing improves.
Geoff

Atmos
02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Another 20 hours with perfect seeing and I'll be happy!

At least from a distance a glittering turd looks like it's covered in tiny little stars :P

Weather has been horrible! I've been watching the clear skies just over the NSW boarder on significantly more nights thinking that maybe I should just take a week off and go camping with a telescope :P

I found the new PhotometricColourCalibration script does a pretty good result. G2V I found to be the most accurate although I didn't try too many of them. Going to try Goodlook 64 tonight and see what it thinks is correct :P

Let's just say for now that it isn't a 4", not a 5" and it isn't either of the Mewlons. I'll have an official first light when I can actually get the collimation dialled in. So far every time I set it up it clouds over half an hour after it gets dark and the clouds lift at 11pm-midnight so I just point it at something and go to sleep until 3:30 when I start packing up to get back home and to work by 6:30 :P

Yesterday I did notice that my flat illumination profile looks very similar to my CCDInspector results so tonight I plan on collimation playing with a flat panel :P CCDInspector results added.

Not bad but not great either :lol:

I cannot even imagine trying to image it under moonlight or in a populated area, went out bush for it.

I suppose I have some colour for when the seeing improves then :P

gregbradley
02-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Nice job considering the circumstances.

Greg.

Shiraz
02-10-2017, 11:27 PM
yes you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI - new mirror substrate?

anyway, image is a nice effort for limited exposure RGB.