PDA

View Full Version here: : FPS and exposure corelation?

Gasman
04-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi guys
Having just bought a DMK21AF04 and just firmware upgraded it to the .AS version I am still intrigued how the fps and exposure relationship works and can`t find anything in the helpfiles?.
Ok if I choose 1/30 sec exposure and a frame rate of 30fps that obviously fits, I have 30 frames in one second each of 1/30th sec exposure, so what happens if I choose an exposure time of say 5 seconds does the fps feature switch off and I then have a single frame of 5 seconds?. After my firmware upgrade I can now expose for up to 60 mins so if I choose this exposure time (not likely I know) do I end up with 1 frame of 60 mins exposure??.The fps feature has a range of 3.5 to 60 fps now so how does this tie in with exposures which don`t equate and what does the single frame grab show ??ahhh help.:screwy:
Cheers
Steve

iceman
04-01-2007, 06:32 AM
yeh if you are using an exposure of > 1s, I imagine the fps setting goes to "auto". If it was a better user interface, it should probably disable the controls or give you some error message if your fps and exposure don't make sense..

eg: You can set 30fps with 1/15s exposure.

I imagine the camera automatically does 1/30s exposure, but the interface still says 1/15s.

If you set 15fps, click "auto" for exposure and then click auto OFF again, it will give you the pre-determined exposure, which is usually 1/fps.

For long exposures, I guess it ignores the fps completely.