PDA

View Full Version here: : Why GITZO, why?

Hemi
29-09-2017, 07:57 AM
I love photography as much as I love Astro. I like portraits and landscapes. I now love star scapes.
I’ve wanted to upgrade my photography tripod for a while and having recently bought a SW AZ GTI for camping/travel, thought I would buy a tripod that could fit both light weight Astro and general photography purposes.

Why oh why is a gitzo systematic tripod with head over $2000. I mean, seriously, an AZ EQ6 is only $2500, with all its engineering and electronics. The volume of sales would also be massively in gitzos favor.

So why? I simply do not understand?

sil
29-09-2017, 08:41 AM
don't complain if you don't understand what that product is for.

MortonH
29-09-2017, 09:10 AM
One is a premium product and the other is not.

The Gitzo should last several times the life of the EQ6.

doppler
29-09-2017, 03:56 PM
The price is set by those willing to pay, not manufacturing or quality costs. Still pretty expensive for a tripod though.
This one is a beauty for sure well worth the $, not for me anyway.
https://www.dccameras.com.au/gitzo-gt5562gts-systematic-series-5-carbon-6-section-giant-tripod.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsdDIgNzJ1gIVBgYqC h1vFgsfEAQYBCABEgKHv_D_BwE

JA
29-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Who cares :D ..... Don't pay for their advertising and promo budget and their exclusivity pricing which largely makes up a heft of that price that you are not in favor of. Instead get something different - maybe a Manfrotto, maybe even used. It is still well regarded and it can be light/strong/useful for astro depending on your selection, but having said that, light is not always best, unless you're climbing K2.

Best
JA

Steffen
29-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Have a look over at Really Right Stuff, you might be able to find better value and better quality there.

Hemi
01-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Thanks everybody who chose to respond in a manner the thread was set up, a rather puzzled question.

Sil....errr, not sure I understand. I am not complaining, I’m asking on a general chat thread. I’m not sure why you would insult some one by suggesting they don’t understand what a product is for. I think I do. I like the gitzo systematic, would suit my needs but not sure it is worth the cost.

Morton H.....define premium, it’s nebulous. Of course a static composite metal tube will last a long time. I suspect a tripod of repute costing half as less will do the same. I have a Chinese knock off that has been flawless for 8 years. Just need one that can handle more payload now. Hence the question, no one has yet provided a great reason....”premium product, and you dont understand” aren’t terribly good answers.

Cheers

MortonH
01-10-2017, 09:11 AM
You might as well ask the question about any product. The price is what the manufacturer or vendor thinks people will pay. And obviously they need to make a profit.

The wording of the original post and the subject of the thread suggested a whinge, not a genuine question, hence some of the responses.

But since I now understand your point, I agree with you. Some people have similar feelings about Tele Vue prices. I'd love a TV-85 but $3,499 for an 85mm refractor???

Kunama
01-10-2017, 10:10 AM
The reason Gitzo charge so much for their products is simply 'because they can!. Their reputation and hype was developed in days when Asian products simply could not compete with Gitzo for quality and it became like Hasselblad, a brand known for superior quality.

These days the Asian manufacturers have caught up as have others like RRS but brand-concious still like to think that they must have Gitzo so they are prepared to pay it ....

If the price of Gitzo is too high for you then a fantastic alternative is Really Right Stuff, I have some of their gear and is as good as my previous Gitzo, in fact, some items make Gitzo versions look downright agricultural by comparison. I also have Markins and Manfrotto equipment that I much prefer to Gitzo.

I am about to order the SW AZ-GTi for my Tak FOA and it will be fitted to my Manfrotto MT055CXP3Pro tripod which easily handles my Nikon D3 with the AF-S 80-200 and 300mm lenses.

doppler
01-10-2017, 10:22 AM
The simple answer is you are paying for a brand name, not manufacturing costs. The Chinese are proving this time and again with quality products at a fraction of the price.

MortonH
01-10-2017, 02:08 PM
I hadn't heard of RRS but just looked them up. Their CF tripods seem to start around US$700 so still pretty pricey.

I've heard good things about Benro gear, which is substantially cheaper than the brand name stuff.

Visionary
01-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Hemi, at some point along the timeline Photography, becomes art. Once the Photographer becomes an artist, well there is no performance/cost nexus, it is all about performance and much of that performance is perceived.
you know... "Truth is beauty, beauty truth" that odd species of nonrational thought. We cannot rationalize the irrational.

Dennis
01-10-2017, 04:19 PM
I have owned both Giottos CF and Alu tripods which I have been very impressed with, but after some 6 or 7 years, the rubber sleeves on the Giottos tripod leg locks began to perish, split and fall off. I generally take good care of my gear so no dropping onto concrete, dunking in salt water, bashing on rocks, etc.:)

I have had a Gitzo CF for just over 5 years and so far, all is well with the rubber leg lock grips.:thumbsup:

When I first used the Giottos CF tripod, it was a wonderful experience, coming from good quality lever lock Alu tripods (Slik, Manfrotto). The Giottos CF felt smooth and easy to open/deploy. And boy, was it light weight!:D

After acquiring my Gitzo, it seemed to be a noticeable step above the Giottos in terms of the user experience, such as smoothness, ease of operation and rigidity at full extension (depends on # of legs, size of tubes, etc.). The twist locks required noticeably less effort to open/close and felt much more positive, as did the operation of the centre column and the vari-angle legs. Often, with the Giottos, I had to double check that all the leg locks were tight enough.:shrug:

One bad thing about my Gitzo Series 0 travel tripod ball head is that the panning lock screw is not captive and fell out on a long hike. I have a couple of Photo Clam ball heads that in my opinion are easier/smoother to operate than the Gitzo ball head, have variable tension and captive knobs. But, after some 8 or 9 years once again the knurled rubber grips have begun to perish.:(

I think that Gitzo may not have caught up with the important developments such as captive knobs, but maybe their materials are better specified and therefore I can expect them to last longer?:shrug:

Cheers

Dennis