PDA

View Full Version here: : SMC Lum Framing Test

Atmos
25-09-2017, 08:02 PM
What do you do when you head to a dark site, get clouded out and end up with 3.5 hours to image? Do a framing test! This is a 15 panel mosaic of the SMC, 25x30s L exposures per frame.

There are some issues with this, the most noticeable is the lack of flats. I did take flats but the sun had come up and my flats have some extreme gradients! Slept in and couldn't be bothered getting up before sunrise. So much warmer in my sleeping bag than the icy outdoors. Calibrated with just darks and no flats, much better :)

There is some pretty bad tilt in one corner which has caused significant curvature and therefore some registration issues but this was just a test and clouds make fixing things difficult :P

SMC High Res (http://www.astrobin.com/full/312970/0/)

I've since decided to expand this to an 18 panel as I am currently close to losing some of 47 Tuc and don't want to lose some of the bottom of the SMC either. This is also the first time I've used PixInsights MosaicMerge script, tried to do it with the 2x2 drizzled files but my poor poor laptop continually became riddled with Lack of Memory issues; 16GB of ram isn't enough to do a 1 gigapixel image.

Ryderscope
25-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Fascinating Colin as I have just started to experiment with mosaics myself and have chosen the SMC as my practice target. Mainly because it is conveniently located at the moment to enable many hours of data capture.

I can see some of the issue you mention but from the framing test viewpoint I would say that this experiment is a success. A full frame mosaic with 18 panels with all filters would be quite ambitious for sure. I shall be watching developments with interest.

multiweb
25-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Very cool Colin. Some serious resolution there. Should make a great field. :thumbsup:

Placidus
25-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Wicked!

A worthy quest, Sir Colin.

atalas
26-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Awesome....It'll make for s great pic when you complete the project Colin :thumbsup:

RickS
26-09-2017, 07:17 AM
You seem to like ambitious projects, Colin :thumbsup:

Atmos
26-09-2017, 01:14 PM
I’ve largely used the Milky Way for my mosaic testing although I did do some testing on the LMC last year. Should have fixed the issue last night, fiddled with the focuser collimation inside. It was clear last night but twinkling at zenith!!

That’s the idea :) Kinda along the same lines of your Milky Way FSQ shots.

Thanks Sir Jones.

Thanks Louie, it’ll look different to what I get with my 85mm lens.

Mike and Steve like their small obscure objects. Mike & Trish like using their 20” of aperture and going deep. I like the idea of large high resolution images :)

Slawomir
26-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Very impressive! Nice work Colin :thumbsup:

billdan
26-09-2017, 04:40 PM
That's just incredible, so much detail, so much hard work

el_draco
26-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Very nice indeed. The detail is inmpressive.

gregbradley
27-09-2017, 06:51 AM
That's good work. Sometimes the issue with mosaics is the panels that are plain night sky with no features are hard to know where they fit. Like a jigsaw puzzle. I take it you did good labelling and made a plan.
SkyX mosaic feature would be handy. Just click on go to on the next panel and it should line it up in the camera ready to go. There goes a lot of the work in these. I have yet to use it though but it seems simple enough.

Greg.

Atmos
27-09-2017, 07:20 AM
I prefer the higher resolution and mosaicing than using a reducer ;)

Thanks Bill. Only took 3.125 hours of sleeping to capture the data but it took four days to process it!

Thanks Rom.

I actually used TSX to create and position the mosaic and then copied the coordinates into SGP. Followed the A1, A2, A3, B1 naming method making it easy to know what goes where. It is really easy to use.
SGP also has its own quite simple mosaic wizard which I’ll be trialing soon for the 18 panel.

gregbradley
27-09-2017, 08:18 AM
That's good to know. I should use that SkyX tool next time. It can be very time consuming trying to line up the next panel without that!

Greg.

Atmos
27-09-2017, 08:45 AM
It really is quite easy :)

rustigsmed
28-09-2017, 07:25 PM
ambitious plan but it will look fantastic!
are you going to also add Ha and O3?
All you need now is some clear nights!! :sadeyes:

strongmanmike
28-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Even with its current warpy warts it looks good Colin :eyepop: look forward to the finished project.

Mike

Atmos
29-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Planning on doing Ha and thinking about OIII. Haven’t quite decided if I want to aim for that stronger bi-colour (HOO) or more of a natural look.

Every time I set the scope up I end up with 3-4 hours of unexpected clouds so we’ll see if I ever get it finished :lol: