PDA

View Full Version here: : Best monitor for astro image processing?

peter_4059
19-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Just wondering what the current thinking is on the best type of monitor for image processing. Obviously they all benefit from being properly CALIBRATED but is there a specific type that does the job best?

RickS
19-09-2017, 07:04 PM
If you can afford them the Eizo monitors are very nice and are self CALIBRATED.

CALIBRATED CALIBRATED CALIBRATED CALIBRATED

peter_4059
19-09-2017, 07:22 PM
They look nice, Rick. Have you tried one?

https://imagescience.com.au/products/monitors/eizo-monitors

I'm trying to work out how the monitor gets automatically-CALIBRATED? Is there a device like the Spyder involved?

I wonder if the 4k versions would be good for people imaging with cameras with small pixels?

troypiggo
19-09-2017, 07:26 PM
I find my iPhone 7 Plus is better than my old iPhone 6. That bigger screen real estate really helps.

CALIBRATED

RickS
19-09-2017, 07:35 PM
In a previous life we used Eizo monitors for electronic CAD applications and they are very nice, Peter. At home I have a 27" NEC which provided great performance for the price but they changed their warranty policy recently making them less attractive.

The auto CALIBRATED screens have a built in colorimeter.

I think the 4K screens would be pixel size agnostic ;)

Troy is a highly CALIBRATED smartarse

marc4darkskies
21-09-2017, 11:03 AM
+1 Eizo. I've been using one for many years now - the best!! Prices have slowly dropped too. My current one is a Coloredge CS 2420 (http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/eizo-coloredge-cs2420-colour-p-5328.html).

glend
21-09-2017, 12:56 PM
I use a big BenQ and its been great for the last couple of years.

NorthernLight
22-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I use a Dell Ultrasharp U2413. It's a 24" that can be fully colour calibrated and can save the profile in the monitor but it also comes with factory calibrated AdobeRGB and sRGB presets. The monitor is specifically designed for image processing. It can display pretty much the entire AdobeRGB gamut and sRGB anyways. Cost is about a quarter of an EIZO at about $600NZD but it's a big step up from a non calibrated sRGB tuned display.
I used non calibrated screens for ages and found that my images looked vastly different on every screen. This has changed big time. Especially when you capture and process in AdobeRGB and then convert to sRGB for web etc.

Cheers,

Andy01
23-09-2017, 03:26 PM
+2 Eizo - seems to have become the standard for PS etc. in the pro photography world. :thumbsup:

sil
27-09-2017, 11:01 AM
+1 for Dell Uxxxx monitors, we use 27" at work and i have 24" at home. They are all well calibrated out of the box but no problem calibrating with a Spyder (and seriously little need, so no stress if you have no calibrator). Viewing angles are great, no reflection glares from room lights and screen is consistant corner to corner whether you're off to the side or facing square on. Great for gaming and photography.

Eizo, if you can afford it IS the standard long before Photoshop existed for computer graphics (3D, CAD) industry before it filtered down to consumer/home level.

Slawomir
27-09-2017, 06:21 PM
@ Rick - we can read IT on our iPad...;)

RickS
27-09-2017, 07:08 PM
The games that kids play, Suavi :lol:

acropolite
30-09-2017, 12:23 AM
+1 for the Dell Uxxxx, if you don't mind second hand, you can find refurbished ones on eBay for under $200