View Full Version here: : Polemaster + Atlas Pro/SW AZEQ6 GOTO

19-09-2017, 02:37 AM
Dear all,

Last weekend, I used the Polemaster for the first time, with my Atlas Pro (= synscan ...). I am in the southern hemisphere (Brasil) and. as you certainly know, it is not straightforward or easy to find the small and dim stars close to the celestial pole. I was pleased to get a polar alignment like never before. Afterwards, however, when running synscan 2-3 stars alignment, there was a reasonable misalignment. I know these are two different procedures, I think (remotely?) comparable. Anyway, I "forgot" about synscan alignment. I took 40 60 seconds lights without any problem, unguided. Those who have accumulated experience with synscan, Atlas Pro and polemaster, what would be the best "workflow"?

Thanks in advance,

19-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Polemaster manual expressly says to only do a 1 star alignment after using Polemaster

19-09-2017, 02:57 PM
I just had a quick read of the Polemaster manual and I cannot find a reference to doing a 1 star align.
I have been using the Polemaster for quite a while with Synscan, EQMOD and using plate solving with EQMOD and SGP and have had no issues with any method. The obvious question is, if your Go-Tos work OK and you are happy with the guiding results, is there a need to worry if Synscan reports a polar alignment error?
How did you check your polar alignment, did you do a drift alignment check in PHD for example. The reason I ask is I have found that to be much more reliable as a check than the Synscan method.

19-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Hi there,

Thanks Lewis and Malcon!

It was the first time I used Polemaster. I was very happy to get a nice polar alignment. Although it is kind of "hard" to deal with the altitude and az bolts!:) I guess it is just a matter of keep practicing. And it is much easier and fast then any method I tried before!

Actually, I did not want to check. I just tried the synscan goto; it did not put the Sculptor Galaxy I was planning taking pictures centered. By now, unguided.

I download Astrotortilla and planning to plate solving with Backyard EOS.

19-09-2017, 09:58 PM
If after using the PoleMaster your unguided subs looked good and weren't elongated (depending on focal length) then I'd say that the PoleMaster is accurate... End of story ;)

20-09-2017, 01:45 AM
Yes, they were really good. Perfectly round stars. I am planning to keep taking the unguided light frames for longer time periods. And figure out the longest I may go with my rig, unguided.

For now, the camera is an old DSLR Canon 50D, unmodified. And the scope is a SW Esprit 120mm ED. Aperture 120 mm and FL 840 mm.

Regards, Fernando