PDA

View Full Version here: : Experimental NGC 6744

Slawomir
15-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

In the past few weeks I have been very slowly collecting bits of Lum data from our backyard in Paddington in Brisbane. Light pollution is rather intense, with about 2 photons per second per pixel being registered in a featureless background by the camera with a Lum filter.

Clearly not a breathtaking image, in particular with just over 8 hours of data, but I thought of sharing anyway, if only as a warning of what happens when one tries broadband imaging with a small refractor in a city :lol:

http://www.astrobin.com/full/305157/F/

Full res: http://cdn.astrobin.com/images/thumbs/0c6b5e5a177c1e780ef16893250ece1c.16 536x16536_q100_watermark_watermark_ opacity-15_watermark_position-6_watermark_size-S_watermark_text-Copyright%20Slawomir%20Lipinski.jpg

It looks like I wont be able to add colour to this experimental image this year.

Thank you for looking
Suavi

Placidus
16-09-2017, 06:09 AM
A good experiment and an excellent result for the location. Shows what can be done. Sharp and nicely processed.

Atmos
16-09-2017, 07:57 AM
How you capture anything in Lum is a surprise from your location haha

There is nice detail in the galaxy :)

Slawomir
16-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Thank you Mike, Trish and Colin for your encouragement.

Last night I started collecting Luminance data for another target higher up in the sky, and after adjusting length of subs, the initial just under 3hrs of data looks quite promising: http://cdn.astrobin.com/images/thumbs/1d2c69646833e92c36fa13d6110ff45b.16 536x16536_q100_watermark.jpg

PRejto
16-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I think that is quite good! Have you considered using an Astronomik CLS filter as a luminance filter? It does a pretty amazing job from my former light polluted sight in Sydney. You really could add colour to this! I managed (with a lot of processing and gradient removal) and so does Peter Ward....I think double to triple the usual amount of colour data helps in the battle.

Peter

Paul Haese
16-09-2017, 02:05 PM
That is actually not a bad image. I was working on this very object a few months back with the RC until I had to abandon the project. It is a very faint object with lots of interesting dust lanes. I'll have another go at it next year but your suburban image compares pretty well.

gregbradley
16-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Well I am surprised. I would not think that you would get anything decent from a light polluted area of such a faint galaxy. You've done exceptionally well here.

Greg.

atalas
16-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Great work from your location Suavi :thumbsup: It's a very tough low surface bright galaxy and needs another 8 hrs to smooth out the low signal area but, I'm sure you know that anyway.

Good luck with the colour....It's going to be real tough from your location mate.

Slawomir
17-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the hints with CLS and colour data Peter. Unfortunately I have rather severely obstructed views on the sky so adding colour will need to wait for another season. Grus Quartet is high up in the sky though, so I have adjusted length of exposure and started collecting new data - so far it looks quite promising!

Thank you Paul. This image started out as a star field for removing the reminder of tilt from my imaging train, but data looked not too bad so I decided to stick with it for a while.

Thank you Greg for your very kind feedback. I really need to move further out from the city...

Thank you Louie. I already started another image and shortening Lum subs made a big difference in terms of controlling background noise. With 3 minutes I am easily sky limited and noise in each sub is much lower than with 5-minute subs.

RickS
18-09-2017, 09:43 AM
That's a better result than I would have expected, Suavi. Look forward to your colour version of the Grus Quartet.

rustigsmed
19-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Not bad Suavi I like the full frame - you've cropped pretty heavily!