PDA

View Full Version here: : DMK21AF04 updates?

Gasman
02-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi Guys
New to the forum so a very happy new year to you all from a windy UK at the moment!.
I have just bought a DMK21AF04 a week ago and still learning how to use it.
I noticed on the Imaging Source forum someone asking about a `long exposure firmware update` for this camera. I did wonder if my camera already has this update as its a new one and what difference the upgrade would make?. It is advertised as capable of exposures from 1/10000 to 30 secs so does the upgrade extend this??. I have emailed Stefan the guy from Imaging Source so await his and your replies with interest.
Cheers:D
Steve

ballaratdragons
02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Welcome Steve :thumbsup:

Good luck with the info you are after.

iceman
02-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi Steve.

I'm not aware of a long-exposure firmware update - I thought the only update was for a faster framerate.. that is, 60fps instead of the default maximum 30fps.

My DMK21AF04 can already do 30s exposures, though i'm yet to try it.

I'll do some digging around and see if I can find anything for you.

Dennis
02-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi Steve

Welcome to Ice In Space.

There were a couple of posts on Cloudy Nights concerning the long exposure mod – I remember one poster writing that 60 mins is the max exposure?

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1268223/page/7/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1241100/page/8/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Cheers

Dennis

Gasman
02-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I gather the upgrade extends the exposure time up to 60 mins.
Regards
Steve

Gasman
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi again guys.
Thought I`d give you a quick update on the firmware upgrade.
Just received the firmware update from Stefan at Imaging Source and my camera is now model DMK21AF04.AS and the update gives exposures up to 60 mins (thats mins not secs!) so will be very interesting to see what sort of images it will churn out. Excellent firm to deal with and very quick replying.
Note the upgrade depends on serial number and will only work with XP.
Cheers:D
Steve

Dennis
03-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Just discovered a new webpage (http://www.astronomycameras.com/en/products/)from TIS for astronomy DMKs.

Cheers

Dennis

[1ponders]
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Interesting Steve. How did you go about getting the firmware upgrade?

RB
03-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the info Steve and welcome to the Forum.
A happy New Year to you too !

:hi:

Gasman
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi all
Paul - I was looking for some sort of tutorial for the camera as I`ve only just got it and after a Google search stumbled across a posting actually on the Image Source forum from a guy asking for someone to post the `Long exposure firmware upgrade`. I was interested in this and so emailed Stefan the Image Source guy who very quickly replied and said mine was upgradable and he would send me the details as soon as poss which turned out 2hrs later so very impressed.
I just got an email with a link and followed the instructions, a piece of cake really but not sure if the upgrade is serial number specific eg mine might not work with yours and vice versa.
Why not email Stefan and ask him he`s a really helpful chap.
I contacted Stefan on support@imagingcontrol.com
Course now it will be cloudy for a few days so can`t try it:whistle:
Good luck
Steve

[1ponders]
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for that Steve. I'd better contact my DMK supplier and see where it's gotten to. I like the idea of being able to try long exposures. If you get the chance to try it, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see the results.

Wonder how we'd go whacking a peltier on it ;)

iceman
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Paul you'll probably end up downloading the firmware from TIS, even if you bought the DMK from Matt Lovell.

I was given a link to the 60fps firmware patch a while ago, but haven't applied it yet.

[1ponders]
03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
:thumbsup:

Gasman
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi again.
I would be happy to post the link to you Paul but I really would check that the upgrade is definitely NOT serial number specific first, don`t want your camera to die on you;-(. I have experience of flash upgrades going wrong and usable equipment ending up in the bin. Even this firmware upgrade came with a number assigned to it.
Cheers
Steve

Dennis
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
From the DMK website:

"IMPORTANT: The software on this page requires a valid serial number in order for it to be installed. Unless an astronomy FireWire camera advertised on this web site is installed on your system, this software can neither be installed, nor used".

Cheers

Dennis

Gasman
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for that Dennis. Thought I had seen that somewhere.
Steve

matt
04-01-2007, 02:57 AM
There's a stunning monochrome image of Mars on the Imaging Source website using a 9.25.

But the details of the image refer to a camera I can't find on the products page:shrug:

The 21BF04?

[1ponders]
04-01-2007, 09:52 AM
My DMK turned up this morning :cool: Looking forward to giving it it's first work out as soon as all the clouds disappear :lol:

Here you go Matt. (http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/cameras/firewire_mono/dmk21bf04/overview/) It's basically the same as the DMK21AFo4 but has Trig(ger) and I/O options (http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/cameras/firewire_mono/). Have a good look around the DMK section of the site, there are som interesting reads and resources there :thumbsup:

matt
05-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks Paul

What benefits, if any, would there be in the extra Trig(ger) and I/O options?

And what exactly are they, in really simple terms?

iceman
05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
No benefits, noone uses them in our application.

I think they're mainly for people who will be programming the cameras to do "other" stuff.

The DMK21AF04 is all planetary imagers will need, or the 41Af04 for the extra large chip!

[1ponders]
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Mmmmmm...Large Chips...Mmmmmm :P

I thought long and hard about the 1/3" chip (31AF03), but just couldn't do it to the overdraft :lol:

Gasman
05-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Paul
Which version of DMK did they send you eventually .AS?. Should be no probs upgrading to the .AS version if not.
I see that the IC Capture software is available in .AS version too but can`t see any difference with the normal one other than the name?. My .AS DMK works with both versions and all exposures are available with both so don`t quite know what the need for IC Capture.AS is? maybe I`ve missed something.
Steve

[1ponders]
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Steve.

I ordered the normal one but received the .AS version.:D Happy about that :)

I haven't been able to connect yet, I'm waiting for a powered firewire hub to be delivered, hopefully by Monday. I have a powered PCMCIA adapter for my laptop but unfortunately it isn't sufficient. So by this time Monday I'm hoping to have my first DMK/PST solar images posted :clap: