PDA

View Full Version here: : New ZWO Practise Image

PKay
06-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Learning how to use Sharpcap with new ZWOASI1600MC-C

Full Moon overhead - bad seeing
RAW 8 capture - had to be debayered using GRBG code (Pixinsight)
Only 8 minutes integration time (17 * 30s).
Gain setting 200

No DARKS, FLATS or BIAS
Focus tool is confusing with all those graphs (practise makes perfect).
Pushed the red a bit hard in the 'Curves Transformation', but who cares.

HOwever I am happy I got this test result.

All good fun:-)

PS: I had to work out the debayering code by sticking the camera inside a RED plastic bucket (highly technical)

multiweb
06-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Focus is good. You have all the basics right. Your next purchase will be a corrector to fix the fov then you're good to go and have fun.

kens
06-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Nice work - next time try RAW16 for more bit depth.

PKay
07-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Corrector ordered (Orion field flattener #8893)
Thanc Marc

Changed colour space to RAW16, Output .fits
Output is now approx 32M per image!
Thanx Kens

Shano592
07-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Where are you finding Orion? Are you one these people who insist on waking up the sparrows, causing them to fart?

Image looks nice. Like Marc has said, focus looks good.

ZeroID
07-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Such a nice image. Had to have a wee play with it in PS. Levels, some subtle curves and de-noised.
Hope you don't mind ..

xelasnave
08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Great start. You must be very happy.
Try some darks etc next time they are not that much extra work.
and do you have a focuser mask.
I picked one up two days ago and it really helps.
Great result and worth getting out at late/early hours.

Alex

PKay
08-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Zero...that is amazing!

What you can achieve if you know what you are doing :-)

I don't have Lightroom, (will spend my money on Pixinsight).

Perhaps we can work together. I will send though the final integration (processed (or not)) and you can work your magic!

Shano: At the mome, Orion (and the scope) are right outside my bedroom window. I have run the cables through the flyscreen and have laptops right beside the bed!!
HOwever the moon is back, so shall have to wait for more data.

Alex: Thanx.
Everything has changed since I ditched the canon for the ZWO.
Still on the learning curve (SharpCap & PHD).
Will get there eventually...and what is a focuser mask?

xelasnave
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
I purchased a "Carey Mask" it is a disk with holes that you place in front of the objective or end of the scope which shows a star with a diffraction in the shape of an x... when focus is perfect the x is balanced and sharp.
Google Bintel and focuser mask that should show you..
You could make one.
In years past we would use two holes in a disk ..say 1 inch dia... the holes would line up when focus was achieved...so you could make one of those in a couple of minutes..the one I have you could make in an afternoon or less.

Alex

xelasnave
08-09-2017, 12:49 PM
I hope by the time I get a ZWO you can explain to me what to do.
alex

xelasnave
08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahtinov_mask

alex

Shano592
08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I have a bahtinov mask in my kit, but I never remember to use it. I really should.

ZeroID
09-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Nah ! Better I tell you how to do it and you learn. I am only using the Free Adobe released Creative Suite 2, an early version of Photoshop.
Levels and curves can be done in most modern graphics programs and also denoising although I used another free piece of software to clean up the red speckle which was probably cause largely by Light Pollution.
I'm no expert, I find and like simple methods although I'm about to layout for the 1600mm-c and discover the perils and pitfalls of mono imaging. I must be some kind of masochist :shrug:

Google photoshop levels and curves and have a read.\watch. Make a copy of your image ( always keep the original intact ) and try to follow the concept. When and if you get stuck come back to me and I'll see if I can tell you my simple understanding and therefore method of fixing images.
Here's a clue, learn about the histogram and what it represents. ;)