PDA

View Full Version here: : Saxon 10" Dob - Pt 2: collimation, 1st light(s), star test

janoskiss
31-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Some more on my new scope, after my initial impressions (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=15838)... :)

Collimation
The primary is very easy to do with a Cheshire thanks to the big and smooth turning collimation and locking screws. With the locking screws done up, it holds collimation extremely well. Collimation was still Cheshire perfect after travelling 450km in the back seat of a car + 150km in the back of a van.

The secondary is trickier. It is only just big enough to catch all the light from the primary, so precise positioning and alignment is needed for getting the most out of the optics. This may be a turnoff for some beginners, but if it's too much hassle you can always just get the alingment right and put up with a little bit of "clipping" around the edge of the primary. By comparison, the GSO Dobs have oversized secondaries (at the expense of larger central obstruction), so are a lot more forgiving wrt positioning of the mirror.

The secondary alignment scews need to be done with an allen key unfortunately, but it stays put once it's done. The mirror is mounted on a black anodised metal piece and the collimation screws press firmly on that. No metal screws on soft plastic thankfully.

Star test

Now, I'm not v. experienced at this, but at 200x, star test looked textbook perfect to me. Inside and outside focus looked practically identical, with nice clean rings. At higher powers (using a barlow) the seeing made it more difficult to see what was going on. The inside focus rings looked fuzzier than outside, but I saw similar relative intensities between rings either side of focus.

Viewing

Unfortunately conditions have been appalling this past week, but from what I have seen so far I am very pleased with the scope.

The thing that seems most striking is that stars seem to be sharper than in my other two Dobs (the 8 and 12" GSO). And faint stars near bright ones seem to be easier to spot. Even in the poor seeing we had last night and tonight, I could see 6 stars in the trapezium at 80x, clear as a bell. I think the optics in this scope is very good. I am really looking forward to trying it out on Saturn and Jupiter in good seeing. :)

Just one night I was lucky to get about 15 minutes of clear skies between downpours at a dark location. M42 in Orion looked as good as I've ever seen it through any of my scopes. The texture in the gas clouds was very well defined.

I will have to do a side-by-side comparoo with my 8" GSO Dob one night. (I know 8 vs 10 is not fair but I'll do it anyway :P).

Eyepieces

The scope is an f/4.7, so expected to be tough on eyepieces.

It loves my 7 and 10mm Pentax XWs and 8.5mm XF, and does not mind the 20mm T5 Nagler either but that one shows some false colour and astigmatism near the edge of field. I can see coma from the mirror in the XWs, but it is very little by comparison. The 13mm Stratus does respectable job for what it costs, but certainly not sharp to the edge. But neither are the Panoptics, which have some seagulling near the edge (astigmatism, not coma). Aberrations seen near edge of field in Panoptic and Nagler practically disappear when barlowed (UO 2" 2x barlow).

I did not get a very good look through the 6mm Radian but it seems to do very well right across the field, with just a little colour near the edge. 15mm Antares Elite Plossl is excellent across 75% of the FOV, not so nice near the edge with astigmatism.

I did not try the silver-top plossls that came with the scope, or my HD orthos properly.

Other comments

Using the focuser at high power is a pain. Typical sticky grease/glue rack and pinion focuser issue. I haven't yet decided whether to regrease, shim and motorise it or try and fit the 10:1 GSO instead.

Mount could do with lighter touch in azimuth and smoother motion in altitude, but it is quite good for an unmodded setup straight out of the box.

I can carry the whole scope in one piece up/down flight of stairs to the to/from the back yard. :) It can be carried by the tensioner handles. Not quite as swish as the 8" GSO but not far off it either.

danielsun
31-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Good review there so far Jano!! "GO THE SAXONS"

I'm glad to hear that your happy with it so far, as you already know i'm a big fan of the Saxon/Skywatcher dobs ;) .
I look forward to hearing your review on the optics once the weather clears.

casstony
31-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Steve, with hindsight and wrt the light gathering/portability trade-off, are you happy with the move from 12" to 10"?

janoskiss
31-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Yes, Tony, very happy with the switch from 12 to 10 so far. I haven't had the chance to take her galaxy hunting yet though.

Starkler
31-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you got a good mirror there :thumbsup:
Im happy for you after your previous experiences.

As for sharpness of stars, you really need vgood seeing and stabilised mirror temps to judge. At least thats what I find with my 10incher. It takes a very good night to perform at its best.

janoskiss
08-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Update: Out with the scope tonight after some mods. The optics is awesome! I have never seen stars so clean pinpoint in any reflector. Seeing is pretty good tonight too. I'm sure the pyrex mirror helps too, because despite dropping temps stars show clean Airy disks at 360x. I did fit a fan though, but have not been using it except briefly before sunset.

OTOH, I treated the sliding surfaces with Dry Glide (spray on dry lubricant). Azimuth is good (placed a thin plastic washer in the centre also) but altitude is sticky still. I think I'll have to replace the nylon bearing surfaces with teflon. The tube also needs rebalancing for telrad + ra-finder + heavy EPs.

I de and regreased the R&P focuser with while Li grease, tightened the top teflon slider supports to minimise image shift and fitted the Orion Accufocuser. There is still a bit of image shift and I don't like the motorised focuser. It's slow and tedious. The 10:1 GSO Crayford is much better IMO.

EP tray works for slim EPs only, plossls orthos but useless for big EPs like XWs, Stratus, big Naglers etc.

I'm really looking forward to Saturn. :)

iceman
09-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Great reports Steve, sounds like a nice scope.

astro_nutt
09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Janoskiss..I've owned one of these great scopes for the past 3 years and I do enjoy the quality optics...
As for the mount..I eased the stiction in the altitude bearings by lightly buffing them with 2000 grade wet and dry in one direction...after which I built a few (motorised) mounts and used the original mount to store the tube.
The focuser did get a clean out and light smear of marine grease replaced the original..plus I gave the teflon coating a good coating and buff with car wax to keep it smooth. Adjusting the tension took a while via the 2 grub screws either side of the lock screw but I found adjusting the one closest to the tube first makes it easier.
The secondary is tricky to adjust but I replaced the original grub screws with better quality ones (4 x 20 mm)
Like you I fitted a fan from an old computer and powered it with a 9 volt battery.
The primary mirror has developed a haze but this does not affect the image quality.
And...you will be pleased viewing Saturn and DSO's...
Enjoy!!!

janoskiss
09-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the tips astro_nutt. :)

I could not resist. I dragged myself out of bed at 2:45am to check out Saturn. Seeing was not as good as earlier in the night, but still got a very nice view: Cassini div all the way around, C-ring (the faint inner ring), planet shadow on rings, and clearly defined banding on the globe. Best view at 200-230x. Thick clouds rolled in after about 15 minutes of viewing.

btw, 6mm Radian is a very nice EP. Usable right across the 60 degree field, very well corrected even in this f/4.7 scope, with only a little colour near the very edge.

skies2clear
10-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi Janoskiss, glad to hear you are extremely happy with the scope and optics. A really nice 10" is tempting from the point of view of overall performance and quick setup.

Do you know where the primary mirror is made? For some reason I think it's not a Chinese optic, but I may well be wrong?

Cheers

janoskiss
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
S2C, John Izzo from Telescope Shed told me the mirror is made in the US.

One more thing worth noting. The secondary is just a touch undersized for the way the scope is set up. At high powers you can just see the mirror clips in star images defocused (towards the secondary), all three simultaneously only just. If you move the star image off centre by only less than 10 arc minutes, you cannot see more than 2 mirror clips. Extending the OTA and shortening the focuser travel (which racks out a long way) would yield better illumination of field without needing a larger secondary.