PDA

View Full Version here: : Indus Galaxy Pair NGC 6935 and 6937 (23 hrs)

Placidus
26-08-2017, 12:24 PM
NGC 6935 and NGC 6937: a pair of beautiful, presumably interacting pseudo-ringed spiral galaxies in Indus.

Please see uncropped full size image here. (https://photos.smugmug.com/Category/Astrophotography-at-Placidus/i-HwsVdzx/0/66619824/O/D%20Indus%20Pseudo-Ringed%20Pair%20NGC%206935%20NGC%20 6937%20L%208%20RGB%205%20each.jpg)

NGC 6937 is bluer, has four spiral arms in a twisty tangle like a drunken starfish perhaps, with many bright blue splotches of recent star formation.

NGC 6935 has less star formation and is more salmon coloured. It looks like a very tightly wound Catherine Wheel, with an inner pseudo-ring that looks like a rounded-cornered square - most unusual. Not often photographed. (Mike Sidonio did a good one.)

We like the star field, which (in the uncropped image) contains many brilliantly coloured jewels. There are also at least 85 easily identifiable background galaxies, many of which are edge-on spirals, their shape shown by the sharp winter skies.

North on the left. Field 34 min arc, 0.55 sec arc/pixel. Total exposure 23 hrs. Lum: 8 hrs in 30 min subs. RGB: 5 hrs per channel in 30 min subs. Aspen CG16M on 20" PlaneWave. Acquisition and processing with our own Selene and GoodLook 64.

Marke
26-08-2017, 12:27 PM
thats fantastic so many little galaxies :)

traveller
26-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Just beautiful M&T. Always enjoy your deep images.
Bo

DJT
26-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Hats off you two! Two quite different Galaxies, very nicely processes and faint fuzzies plastered everywhere.

I remember goodlook but what is Selena?

Well done :thumbsup:

Placidus
26-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Thanks Mark!

Thanks Bo. We are much encouraged. :)

Many thanks David. Selene is our custom scope and camera control program. It only works with our specific hardware. Selene talks to a bunch of boards (built by us) that work RA, Dec, focus, dome rotation and roof shutters, and also talks to the DLL supplied by Apogee for controlling the cameras and filters.

SimmoW
26-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Gorgeous M&T, loving these deep galaxy pics

cometcatcher
26-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Wow, that's incredible. Fun to look around the field too.

gregbradley
26-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Very nice. I like the processing on this one as well. Love the star colours and the colours of the galaxies. Plus some lovely yellow elliptical background galaxies.

Greg.

Stevec35
27-08-2017, 12:16 AM
Very nice guys. Beautiful field!

Cheers

Steve

Placidus
27-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Hi, Simon, Kevin, Greg, Steve,

Thanks very much for the encouragement. We were quite delighted at how well the tiny edge-on spirals in the background came out.

Took two nights to get enough data to really show the colour properly. After just one night of colour there was too much colour noise, especially in the haloes of the brighter stars.

Best,
MnT

Shiraz
27-08-2017, 10:23 AM
gorgeous image folks - resolution is excellent, background galaxies abound and the overall colour looks very clean. Up there with your best. cheers Ray

Atmos
27-08-2017, 10:48 AM
It's a beautiful shot MnT that I've come back to a few times now. The main group of larger galaxies are nicely resolved and there is more fainter background ones than I can poke a stick at :P

The top left corner, is that faint IFN or a reflection?

topheart
27-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Beautiful colours!

A glorious field of view!
Cheers,
Tim

strongmanmike
27-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Ha! fancy that, this pair is so fresh in ma mind :)....excellent result guys with great colour, grabbing lots of RGB was a good idea :thumbsup: Given I did this same pair so recently it was hard not to compare closely. There is actually little difference in main galaxy details revealed but I do like the subtle thin outer ring around NGC 6935 that you are showing, which is less obvious in my shot. Also, and as expected, your 20" of aperture has revealed a few more faint stars. In the end, under good conditions and with good processing aperture is good to have :)

FWIW...I can see it but your application of decon/wavelettes is well handled here, have a star for each of your foreheads :P ;) :thumbsup:

Mike

atalas
27-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Another awesome shot guys!very deep and great structure in the main galaxies... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Placidus
27-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Ray, that's very kind. We're delighted.

Thanks muchly, Colin. It looks exactly like there is a bright star out of field. Possibilities are alpha indii, Peacock, or eta indii, but none are in the right spot so they would have to be bouncing off something.

Thanks Tim!

Thanks very much for our stars, Mike. :) We were very impressed with the amount of extra-sharp detail you achieved in the inner cores. Inspiring.

Thanks Louie!

Ryderscope
27-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Stunning. Beautiful detail even in the tiny galaxies as well.

RickS
28-08-2017, 04:55 PM
A real galaxy-fest, M&T! Love the big ones and all the small ones. Top notch processing...

Placidus
02-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Thanks muchly, Rodney and Rick. Sorry for the late reply: this one had fallen behind the fridge.

Just put down a book called "Astrophysics for people in a hurry" by Neil Tyson. His last chapter, called the Cosmic Perspective, was meant to make red necked, gun-toting, resource depleting, anti-science coal-mining global warming humans feel very, very tiny, mentioning that there are more galaxies out there than grains of sand on the beach. All true, but Ice-In-Spacers can see some of them, and they are pretty!

Paul Haese
03-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Excellent field and subjects; both unique in their own way. All the other galaxies in the field are interesting too. Some very very faint ones there too.

Placidus
03-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Thanks Paul. Glad you like it.