PDA

View Full Version here: : My First Image!!

PKay
23-08-2017, 10:24 AM
YAY!!! It has only taken 3 months.

Who said astro photography was impossibly difficult...?

Now all I have to do is spend another 3 months learning Pixinsight.

Thank you IIS for a great journey.

xelasnave
23-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Congratulations Peter that is a wonderful first image, I suspect your were up late.

So is that a single capture, what's all the details?
Alex

xelasnave
23-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Make sure your print it out and frame it.
Hang it where you can be reminded.
Alex

Lognic04
23-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Amazing first Image! I cant help but point out you have clipped the blacks though, therefore you are losing data. Next time watch your histogram and ensure "blacks clipped" is always under ~0.5%

PKay
23-08-2017, 12:42 PM
First image, First mistake:
I didn't notice that Backyard EOS decided to change my image settings to JPEG. I will report a suspected bug to them.
Neither DSS or Pixinsight like jpegs very much.

Details are: 20 of 30 sec. lights, 20 darks, flats and bias. Turned out a waste of time with the JPEGS.

However I was able to get something and very happy!

blink138
23-08-2017, 12:49 PM
that's a quote that's going to bite you in the arse sooner or later haha!
pat

Atmos
23-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Nice image to start off with :thumbsup:
You'll still be learning PixInsight after 3 years however :lol:

sil
23-08-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing even 3 decades isnt enough, no matter how much you learn PI is there keeping up with you all the way and keeping you progressing forward. Orion is a spectacular and easy target to shoot and can be tricky to process (can be done with jpeg but not recommended) there is a lot of fine structure in the surrounding black to bring uot and that central overexposure to tone down too so it presents a lot of challenges to learn all in one easy target. :) print it, hang it on the wall, in a years time shoot orion again and see how far your knowledge then takes it, year later it'll be better again etc etc. great start.

Anth10
23-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Sil,

Well done! You have taken a bite out of the poison apple! Best wishes with your astro imaging - its plenty of fun and something that even the best would agree there is always room for improvement. As for pixinsight you are a step ahead of me there for even trying it! Its a program I wish to use one day. Being a dedicated astro imaging program it is the way to go I hear, so cheers Sil look forward to seeing what you produce next.....

Anth

ChrisV
23-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Go for it lad. Keep your eye on the ball and use both feet.
Nicely done.

You could try stacking them in astrotoaster - it will do jpegs. Just so you can see the wonder!

johnyb
24-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Nice one Peter. I remember my first pic last year. It also was Orion. Like you I was tickled pink. No matter how it turned out I was amazed at shooting onto the heavens and getting something that could not be seen with the naked eye.

Now take another shot of Orion in 12 months time and you will be amazed at the improvement.

Your journey has but just begun.

Happy snapping. :thumbsup:

John

Brian W
25-08-2017, 02:23 PM
well done