PDA

View Full Version here: : Temma 2 Jr accident - please help

troypiggo
11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Great timing with Astrofest next week :sadeyes: ...

Was doing some test runs last night, and I didn't notice a cable had come loose. Did a slew and the cable that connects the mount to USB was hooked around the mount's AZ knob. I was standing next to it, but in the dark didn't see at first, heard strange noises, then noticed the cable getting tighter and tighter. Couldn't stop the slew, so pulled the connector out of the mount controller.

Now I can't get the mount to connect to the PC. Just won't detect it. Everything has been powered off and on, USBs pulled out and plugged in. Can't find it on any COM port.

I'm not sure if it's just the cable connector that's damaged, or just the controller port on the mount, or both, or something else. I'm hoping just the cable.

My mount is an EM-200 Temma 2 Jr. The connector (I think) looks one of those PS/2 type plugs like mouse/keyboard before USB came in. Actually, it must be a 9 pin one. See the RS232 plug on photo of mount controller below. Other end of cable is a DB9 connection. I've got a USB to serial cable that connects the DB9 to USB hub.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know if the PS/2 to DB9 cable is an off-the-shelf type one I might be able to get from somewhere like https://www.qconnect.com.au ? The way I read the manual https://www.optcorp.com/pdf/Takahashi/Temma2Manual.pdf it appears that it is some sort of a standard RS-232C cable DB9 (female) to 9 pin mini-DIN male?
2. Maybe you can get nowadays a direct PS/2 serial to USB in one cable, save having 2 cables to do job in one? Anyone know?
3. Anyone else had the misfortune of doing something similar and got out of it? How?

:sadeyes::help::shrug::thanx:

UniPol
11-08-2017, 10:00 PM
This might help Troy

troypiggo
11-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Thankyou. That helps with the pinout etc. Will keep searching.

UniPol
11-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Peter Tan sells the correct cable and is quite cheap compared to the genuine Tak cable.

troypiggo
11-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks mate. How do I find Peter Tan?

peter_4059
11-08-2017, 10:19 PM
http://www.tan14.com.hk/suneast/

troypiggo
11-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks. "Holiday 13-28 August" doesn't look promising for Astrofest. I've sent an email to QConnect to see if they can do one.

Wavytone
12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Ah yes autumn festival started today in China - major major holiday.

RickS
12-08-2017, 08:10 AM
G'day Troy,

I have an EM-200 Temma 2 Jr sitting in my garage gathering dust if you want to borrow it or just some of the bits to do fault finding.

Cheers,
Rick.

troypiggo
12-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Mate. Legend. I'll see how I go testing this cable and may be in touch. You going to AF?

troypiggo
13-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Rick kindly loaned me his cable and I can connect to mount now. So it would appear best case scenario. Unfortunately my computer crashed and now SGP won't work, so didn't get chance to test over time with spewing etc, but at least connection is there now.