PDA

View Full Version here: : Snake Valley Astro Camp November 2017

barx1963
09-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Hi all!
We have the next Camp coming up in November. I have updated the camp info and booking sheets to reflect this and they are attached to this post. I am heading over to the US in a few days for the eclipse as are a number of other SVers, in particular Jen!! I will be in contact via emails or Ice in Space while travelling so if you want to make a booking please do so. As I will be moving around a fair bit it may take a day or so to respond so please be patient.
If you are also travelling to the eclipse over the next few weeks and are unable to do a formal booking, please let me know so we can sort it out once we are all back in OZ.

A number of you had booked into the October camp last year, but couldn’t attend the rescheduled event. I am holding payment for you if that is the case, but please put a note on the booking form when doing it to give me a reminder if you are using that deposit for this camp.

In the meantime, hopefully the skies will improve a bit between now and November!!

Cheers all!!

Malcolm

The Snake Valley Astro Camp! Nov 17 – 20 2017

Camp commences midday, Friday 17th November and concludes midday Tuesday 21st .

The Saturday night “Spit Roast under the Stars” will be on again. Cost will be $10 per head meat and salads provided

PLEASE NOTE: Fees are unchanged except that for juniors (those who have not turned 18 by 24/3/17) a single fee of $10 will apply regardless of how many nights they stay. Hopefully this will make the camp more affordable for families and juniors.

4 nights of beautiful dark sky away from City glare.
- LIMITED TO 50 BOOKINGS ONLY PER NIGHT-
(plus casual visitors also welcome, if setting up gear a $5- fee will apply)

- The observing field has 240 volt mains Power
- There are 11 bunkhouses (from 2 to 8 bunks) and lots of camping space on the observing field.
- Caravans welcome.
- Hot showers & toilets in a caravan park style amenities block.
- Large dining room for about 60 people
- Recreation room (billiards, table tennis)
- Fully equipped kitchen with all cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery, fridges etc.
- Lake for swimming, fishing, canoeing etc.
- BBQ facilities
*Please note, Bunkhouses CANNOT be booked for one night only.
Exceptions are accepted if you are in a shared bunkhouse with others staying more than one night. Alternatively, the campsite is available for one night if that's all you can stay.

* Alcohol is allowed, but 'drunkenness' or use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated.
* Aerosols of any description (Aeroguard, deodorant etc) are TOTALLY BANNED on the observing field. Stray spray could (and has) permanently damage optics.
* A red light only policy is in place on the observing field after dark. Lap top screens are to be suitably shielded and dimmed. DIM Red Lights (Red LED Head Torches, etc) are acceptable. PLEASE NOTE, a sheet of cellophane taped over a tactical flashlight is not a DIM red light. If a white light must be used, please warn nearby observers before turning it on.
* Persons violating above rules will be asked to leave and will forfeit fees paid.
* We would prefer for the field to be smoke free, please consider those around you

Snake Valley Astronomy Camps are fun, low key, social events. A white light ban is in force (as expected), but due to the nature of our camps, imagers and observers are all mixed in together having a great social astronomy experience.
WHERE IS IT?
The camp is held at Crystal Lake Cabins in Snake Valley. Street address is 554 Linton-Carngham Rd, Snake Valley VIC 3351. If coming from Melbourne travel to Ballarat then take the Glenelg Highway to Linton and turn right onto the Snake Valley-Carngham Rd. The campsite is on your right before getting to the township of Snake Valley. Please be aware that the Snake Valley Observatory run by the Snake Valley Astronomical Association is not the site of the camp.
The Campsite is a private business that we hire for the duration of the camp.

THE BUNKHOUSES
The 11 bunkhouses range from 2, 4, or 6 bunks up to several with 8 bunks (4 sets of upper and lower bunks).
They have mattresses, but no bed linen. You will need to supply your own sheets, blankets, doona's, and pillows. Or just throw a sleeping bag on the mattress.

CAMPING
The observing field/camping area is on a very gentle slope to assist drainage, bordered on the west by trees and the road, and on the east by the lake. Plenty of room for a lot of people to camp and set up.
240v power is supplied.

SKY
Very dark. There is a faint light dome visible low in the east, coming from Ballarat, Melbourne and Geelong.

OTHER STUFF
Solar Observing during the day. We will try and organise a workshop or two over the weekend. Will advise details once they have been finalised.

COOKING
The kitchen is fully equipped.
All cutlery, cooking utensils, pots, pans, jugs, you name it, it's probably there!
Microwaves, grillers, enormous gas ovens and stove top, 3 fridge/freezers.
All you need is your food.

SHOPS
There are supplies available locally.
3k - Snake Valley General Store: Basic groceries, petrol etc
closes 12:00 Sat, shut Sunday
5k - Linton Store: Basic groceries, petrol, hot fish & chips, hamburgers etc.
Open 7 days till 8pm
12k - Smythesdale: Supermarket, petrol, shops.
Open 7 days
20 minutes - Ballarat

LOCAL SIGHTS: Nimmons Bridge, Computer Museum, Jubilee Gold Mine Historic Reserve, Sovereign Hill, etc.

FEES
(to allow more people to attend the camp some people may have to share a bunkhouse)
PLEASE NOTE: No booking will be regarded as firm until payment is made.

Membership fee (Compulsory for all staying overnight) $10
Please contact Malcolm Barker via email on snakevalleyastrocamps@gmail.com or by phoning 0352313048 or via PM on Ice in Space, user name barx1963 if you have any queries about the fees

Bunkhouses (per person)*
2 nights $60.00
3 nights $80.00
4 nights $100.00
Campsite (per person)
1 night $25.00
2 nights $50.00
3 nights $75.00
4 nights $95.00
Juniors under 18 - $10 regardless how many nights or whether staying in bunkhouses or camping.
Children under 5 y.o. - free

Please book in by completing details on PDF booking form available on the website. Please scan completed form and return to us via email tosnakevalleyastrocamps@gmail.com along with a payment receipt (see below).
Please note: The camp will be proceeding regardless of rain, wind, snow or cloud. When booking in, please consider that refunds will not be given if pulling out due to the weather forecast.

If you have any queries or would like assistance with your booking, I can be contacted via email on snakevalleyastrocamps@gmail.com or by phoning 0352313048 or via PM on Ice in Space, user name barx1963.

Payment details:
BSB 063510
Account 10397720
Please include your name in the detail field when making a payment. If possible email a copy of the payment receipt tosnakevalleyastrocamps@gmail.com

pfitzgerald
10-08-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm in - can we skip September and October please and just go straight to November?

PS To all the eclipse watchers - have a safe journey and may you have nothing but clear skies.

Paul

The_bluester
10-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Man, clashes with a car club event (Two of them actually that I have already had to decide between!) I am not going to know until closer to the date.

xstream
10-08-2017, 02:10 PM
:sad:

barx1963
10-08-2017, 05:55 PM
John
Do dates not suit?

Malcolm

xstream
10-08-2017, 07:20 PM
We leave for Tassie on the 5th Of November.....October I could of made it ��

barx1963
10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Sorry John
Hopefully in March?

Cheers

xstream
11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
The move is permanent Malcolm so probably won't be march but hopefully one of them in the future. :)

04Stefan07
11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Can't wait!

Gunna do the whole 4 nights this time :)

multiweb
11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Mate, if you keep moving south you're going to end up in Antartica. :eyepop:

Greenswale
11-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Yep, I'm in. Let's hope I can better my recent history and get 4 nights in!

xstream
11-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Just think of the skies! :lol:

JohnG
12-08-2017, 10:32 AM
So I have to train a new room mate.. :)

xstream
12-08-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm afraid so mate . :sadeyes:

Jen
18-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Yep I'm in woohoo 😜😜 I will fill in the paperwork when I get back from the states 😜😜 good luck eclipse goers 👍👍
Is it November yet 😎😎

rcheshire
19-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Given the speed at which this year is passing, November could well be tomorrow. I will be bringing a new fangled device called an auto-guider. Some of you may be familiar with the contraption.

Greenswale
21-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Good move Rowland. I expect it will give you heaps of opportunity with your soldering gear and tool kit, he, he!

JohnG
21-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Jen will be in her element, :), she will have to pass on her new found teaching skills Rowland :D..

Moonman
28-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Yes boat booked (from Tassie), sent paperwork and money, 2 of us (Father/Son) camping 2 Nights, Friday and Saturday.

Looking forward to getting back to Snake Valley after a couple of years absence.:(

rcheshire
30-08-2017, 07:59 AM
Let's hope not, Wren. So far so good...

Yes... no longer the understudy... you will need a new pupil, John.

Jen
01-09-2017, 07:48 AM
:lol::lol:

Wombat_In_Space
23-09-2017, 10:26 AM
I regret that I wont be coming up for the camp but I might pop up on the Saturday afternoon/evening to catch up with you all.

Jen
23-09-2017, 03:27 PM

I just paid for my executive suite with spa and balcony with lake views 😜
I will fill out the paper work on Monday cheers 😘😘😘
IS IT NOVEMBER YET 😂

NewBee101
24-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Hi Jenn,
Better take your tennis racquet to swat the mozzie's, I was down at Snake Valley Friday night with Ken, and the mozzie's are big and mean!!!!!! :astron:
Rob
Stawell

Jen
24-09-2017, 04:06 PM
:eyepop::eyepop: damn those mozzies 🙄

dmurton
26-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm in for all nights. Paper work and postage already submitted. Hanging out as usual, I know the Monday night will be the pick of the nights (it always is). Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Regards

David

JohnG
26-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Will have my Forms and money in, in the next couple of days.. :thumbsup:

Jen
26-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Woohoo look forward to catching up guys 🤗🤗

Paddy
28-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I'll be there for Friday and Saturday nights with our "new" vintage caravan!

traveller
17-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Looks like I will be missing out once more :(:(:(
Have 3-4 things on that weekend, including a couple of scouts activities, so won't be able to make it.
Hope you all have fun as usual.
And Jen, start your purple countdown clock!
Bo

Merlin66
17-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Just been through the whole thread.....
When exactly in November is the camp????

traveller
17-10-2017, 04:12 PM
See post 1 from Malcolm

The Snake Valley Astro Camp! Nov 17 – 20 2017

barx1963
17-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear that Bo. Good to see you are getting out at night at home. Let me know if you can pop up!!

Malcolm

barx1963
17-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Hi Ken
I sent you an email with the details back early August. Let me know if you need it resent. Also could you PM me with a phone number, I appear to have mislaid it.

Cheers

Malcolm

cfn
17-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Weather for the snake valley star party available here (http://www.liveweather.com.au/snakevalley/).

04Stefan07
18-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Hopefully weather is good.

Still need to get some practice in with my setup!

NewBee101
21-10-2017, 06:29 PM
All booked in ready to go, to the Snake Valley Star party, got some new toys coming from Steve in QLD to play with as well, maybe here next week. Got my pole master camera, have not had a chance to try it yet, bad weather.
Looking forward to catch up with the ones I met in March.
"Waiting For Clear Skies"

barx1963
22-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Hi all
I have done a quick collation of the bookings so far, and they are starting to come in a bit now. So far we have:

Malcolm (me)
Paul Byron
Jen
Rex
David Murton
Wren
John Glossop
Rowland
Paul Fitzgerald
Jamie Pole
Stefan Del Pra
Claude Del Pra
Denis Busato and his dad
Kavinda
Michael Booth
Emiel Booth
Robert Dumesney
Paddy
Paul Byron

Have had verbal confirmations from a number of others and I suspect that some who have headed up to VicSouth this weekend will let me know once they are past that event. As usual the cabins are starting to get a little tight, only have a couple left at this stage and then it is sharing time!!
The row of cabins at the south end of the quadrangle are currently being renovated. Andrew has told me that he is hoping that they will be finished by the time of the camp, but these things are always a little unpredictable. He has told me that if needed we can use the "meeting hall" which is the recently renovated building between the rec hall and the dining hall as an additional cabin, and may also have access to the "staff bunkroom" that joins the dining room if needed so we will have plenty of beds.

I hear that Vicsouth was very nice on Friday night, hopefully everyone had a great time up there and the skies were clear.

Clear Skies

Malcolm

xstream
24-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Hope you guys have a great camp. :sad::sad:

barx1963
29-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Some updates on Snake Valley

Firstly, a couple of short announcements. Steve Fleming has volunteered to do a short presentation on the Saturday afternoon. This will be a version of the one he and Dr Terry Moon will be presenting at NACAA next year on the subject of Citizen Astronomy. I am also planning to do a short presentation myself on the Great American Eclipse, hopefully with Jen's assistance as far as images are concerned (although I am sure Jen will say a word or 2!!).

Secondly, I have organised a couple of donations for door prizes. One is in hand, the other should arrive this week and once it is in hand I will let everyone know about those.

Thirdly, bookings are still coming in, current list is as follows.
If I have missed anyone, please let me know!!

Malcolm (me)
Paul Byron
Jen
Rex
David Murton
Wren
John Glossop
Rowland
Paul Fitzgerald
Jamie Pole
Stefan Del Pra
Claude Del Pra
Denis Busato and his dad
Kavinda
Michael Booth
Emiel Booth
Robert Dumesney
Paddy
John Pullen
Steve Fleming
Barry Coverdale
Karl Rodgers
Kate Dempsey
Caitlin Dempsey
(1 other possible in the Rodgers/Dempsey group)

We still have 2 free cabins, so if you have not yet booked, grab them now.

Don't forget, the spit roast is on again on the Saturday evening. Cost is $10 per head. In the past we have made some donations from the surplus from the roast. I am proposing that we look at donating to the Movember Campaign for men's mental health. Happy to listen to any alternative suggestions, but I think this is a suitable cause. The majority of our attendees are male and this is an issue that can affect any one of us. Let me know what you think!!

Malcolm

Jen
29-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Woohoo not long to go now 🤗🤗

Garnimoa
29-10-2017, 10:39 PM
This is my first time to Snake Valley.
Looking forward to meeting you all

-Gerald

barx1963
30-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Thanks Gerald. All booked in, looking forward to seeing you there!!

Malcolm

barx1963
06-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Hi all
Just a quick update for the upcoming Camp.
Firstly, it’s now November!!!

Secondly, I have been contacted by Saxon Australia via Kenny who you may remember attended the camp back in 2016. He works as a sales manager at Saxon and has donated a number of door prizes.
They have been extremely generous and have sent:

A 130mm collapsible dob
A 13mm 68 deg eyepiece
A 12.5 illuminated reticle eyepiece

In addition I was given a set of Discovery Channel DVDs all related to space and astronomy that I am putting in as a door prize. Pics of the items are attached.

The size of the donation was totally unexpected, I was quite blown away when I saw what had arrived so a big thank you to Saxon and Kenny!!

Cheers

Malcolm

pfitzgerald
06-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Sounds great Malcolm (and thank you Saxon!) - I've just spent the past couple of days organising my gear and creating an observing/imaging list. Report writing day is on the Friday so I'll be able to come up early and be there by lunchtime to help you set up if you like. Can't wait!

Jen
06-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Woohooo that's cool and yes it's November finally yayyyy 🤗🤗 only 10 more sleeps 😱😱 it's time to get my stuff together 😱😱🔭🔭⭐️⭐️

Greenswale
07-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Great work Malcom and Saxon Australia!

PS. Who is this Jen person?

Jen
07-11-2017, 08:18 PM
:lol::lol:

barx1963
09-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Just updating the numbers, a few more booked in the past few days

Malcolm
Paul Byron
Jen
Rex
David Murton
Wren
John Glossop
Rowland
Paul Fitzgerald
Jamie Pole
Stefan Del Pra
Claude Del Pra
Denis Busato and his dad
Kavinda
Michael Booth
Emiel Booth
Robert Dumesney
Paddy
John Pullen
Steve Fleming
Barry Coverdale
Karl Rodgers
Kate Dempsey
Caitlin Dempsey
(1 other possible in the Rodgers/Dempsey group)
Gerald Grech
Michael Platt
Pam & Warren Maag
Paul Litchen
Diego Colonello

Cheers all!!
Clear skies

Malcolm

Jen
10-11-2017, 12:29 AM
:eyepop::eyepop:

danielsun
12-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Hi all, unfortunately can't make it to this one, will try maybe for a Sunday visit but if not have a great weekend guys. :thumbsup::)

barx1963
12-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Hey Daniel
Would be great to catch up on Sunday if you can make it.

Cheers

Malcolm

pfitzgerald
13-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Hi Malcolm

When you put in the weather request for SVAC you did provide the dates for this coming weekend - not the one just past right? ;-)

Paul

PS See you around lunchtime on Friday

alistairsam
13-11-2017, 10:38 AM
hi Malcolm,

I'll be coming over for Fri and Sat night, will send the booking form and fees.
yes for sat night food and pls let me know if any bunks are available (snorers corner???:-)). Else I'll get my tent.

Cheers
Alistair

castor
13-11-2017, 12:10 PM
I am coming (likely Fri thru Sun nights) but I will be staying in Ballarat rather than at the venue. Will be bringing my equipment to the site and attending the Saturday dinner.

barx1963
13-11-2017, 08:48 PM
OK so we have some more bookings!!

Current list is:

Malcolm
Paul Byron
Jen
Rex
David Murton
Wren
John Glossop
Rowland
Paul Fitzgerald
Jamie Pole
Stefan Del Pra
Claude Del Pra
Denis Busato and his dad
Kavinda
Michael Booth
Emiel Booth
Robert Dumesney
Paddy
John Pullen
Steve Fleming
Barry Coverdale
Karl Rodgers
Kate Dempsey
Caitlin Dempsey
Derek Johnston
Kelly Stevenson
Gerald Grech
Michael Platt
Pam & Warren Maag
Paul Litchen
Diego Colonello
Alois
Alistair Sam
Castor (Not sure of his name that is his IIS tag)

Castor will not be staying onsite so have not got his name as yet.
Cabins are very tight ATM, they are all gone unless I organise some sharing.

Cheers

Malcolm

barx1963
13-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Paul
You know the rules for SV, don't mention the war or the weather!!
Looking forward to catching up on Friday!!

Malcolm

pfitzgerald
14-11-2017, 06:29 AM
You're quite right Malcolm - and I've also been a good boy and not bought any new equipment either!

Paul

Greenswale
14-11-2017, 07:51 AM
I'm out.

I was out on a bicycle path getting my daily exercise, when a very large dog came galloping from nowhere. We collided full on, the bike went from under me, and my attempt at flight was short lived! The sound of my helmet scraping along the concrete is memorable....

So, I had a drugged ride in an ambo, and am currently pursuing repair. I have some scrapes, extensive bruising, three broken ribs and a nasty shoulder injury. I was concussed, but am over that.

So, I hope the camp is entirely successful, with the best clear skies. I'm gonna miss your company, but there is always next year

JohnG
14-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Geez Wren, sounds like you did a good job..:eyepop:, know the feeling :lol:, joys of exercise for us "older" members, injure too easily...

Hope the mend is not long and look forward to seeing you in March.

All the best mate.

roddz
14-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Hi Malcolm
Could you please put me down for Friday and Saturday night, including dinner.

Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Fingers crossed for the weather.

Rodd

pfitzgerald
14-11-2017, 09:56 AM
That's lousy news Wren - I always look forward to catching up with you (and your stories!) on camp. I do hope that your recovery is both speedy and full.

Hopefully we will see you in March.

Paul

Jen
14-11-2017, 12:47 PM
:eyepop::eyepop:
I'm sorry Wren I know I'm a very sick individual but I couldnt help myself but laugh at your post lol lol 🤣 But in all seriousness gee I thought u knew that exercise is no good for anybody 🤣 Especially leading up towards an Astro camp that's just as taboo as buying new gear a week before camp you silly duffer ;) ;) I'm gonna miss you and your stories too damn it 🙄 Hope you have a speedy recovery and the March/April camp isn't really that far away cheers Jen xx
IS IT FRIDAY YET :D

Jen
14-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Has anyone got a spare corrector to fit on a skywatcher ED/120 that I could borrow over the weekend 🤗🤗 please pretty please 😘😜 I will love you forever 🔭🔭💫💫😜😜😈😈😍😍

barx1963
14-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Jen
I have one of these https://www.bintel.com.au/product/orion-field-flattener/ am planning on using it to test the little Saxon 80mm but you can borrow it if it helps!!

Malcolm

barx1963
14-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear that Wren. As has been said by others we will miss you on the camp.

Will touch base soon

Malcolm

pfitzgerald
14-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Hi Jen - are you talking about the one that attaches to a DSLR?

Paul

Jen
14-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Yes Paul 🤗🤗

pfitzgerald
14-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Cool, I'll have mine there - so you're welcome to try it. I'm hoping to do some photometry work this camp rather than imaging. It will fit nicely onto Steve's ED120 as we have the same scopes! I'm hoping to get to SV by lunchtime Friday so see you there and then!

Paul

Jen
14-11-2017, 09:18 PM
:thanx: I can't wait to use my new toy I'm so excited 😍😍
Three more sleeps woohoo 😱😱

pfitzgerald
14-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Cheers Jen - see you soon.

Andy01
15-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Sorry to say I can’t make it either. :(
Wifey has a training camp this weekend (she’s a cub leader) so I’m looking after the kids & all of their activities - sports, b’day parties etc.
Hope y’all get clear skies & see you again in March.

barx1963
15-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for letting us know Andy. Hopefully in March? (I need to pick your brains!!)

Malcolm

barx1963
16-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Well all packed. Clarence the Captiva is packed to the gunwales with a big dob and imaging gear and sundries!

See you all up there tomorrow or later if arriving later in the weekend. Thank you to all coming for supporting the camp. And especially to those who go above and beyond to keep our camp such an enjoyable experience.

Clear skies!!

Malcolm

pfitzgerald
16-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Cheers Malcolm - safe journey and I'll see you tomorrow around lunchtime.

Paul

Jen
17-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Woohoo :eyepop: its today, its today 😍😍
safe travels my Astro family 🤗 I will see you all soon
Woop woop 🔭🔭💫💫⭐️⭐️⭐️🌝🌝🌝💜💜💜

rcheshire
17-11-2017, 06:38 PM
All the best... hope it's clear and get well soon Wren...

Greenswale
18-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes people.

Now get on with it, and keep the clouds away!

erick
20-11-2017, 04:41 AM
Oooh - look at that weather. Hope you have been having a great time under clear skies!

Paddy
20-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Had a great time at Snake Valley again - some great skies after midnight on Friday night. Fantastic company as always!

Many thanks to Malcolm, Paul and Barry and all who made it another great camp!

Sorry to hear about your bingle Wren - look forward to seeing you in March!

barx1963
21-11-2017, 12:57 AM
Thanks Paddy
Sunday and Monday have proved nice. Last night stayed clear right through to sunrise with Johns SQM showing a reading of 21.7 at about 1am (which I am told is pretty good. Tonight is still clear but it is a warm and slightly breezy night so a bit harder.
All round a successful camp with some clear skies on all 4 nights!!

Malcolm

barx1963
22-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Left in dining hall at the Snake Valley Camp over weekend.

Jen
24-11-2017, 02:52 AM
gday everyone :hi:
I made it home safely again after another very successful camp woohoo
The last two nights the skies were amazing as per usual hehehe :)
And once again I had the best time ever awesome company, lots of noobies to harass :lol: and Jen is sooooo in love with her new toy Eddy :D thank you Steve ;)
A big thank you to Malcolm and the team for getting it all organised for us, Steve the spit roast was very yummy ;) Thank you Paul and John for the lend of the flattener/reducers :D I now have one on my shopping list :D John do you want me to post yours down to you or just bring it in March ? And a big thank you to John G for getting me re-acquainted with photoshop again look out I'm on a mission now hehehehe and thanks to Rex for leasing me 80% of your tent hahaha my shower tent would not have survived the downpour we had on Saturday :lol::shrug::rolleyes: I cant wait to see how your first galaxy pic comes out :D
Actually just a big thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge of this amazing hobbie and thanks for giggles <3 <3
I love my astro family :thanx::thanx::thanx:
Here is a quick happy snap of my horsey for first time taken with my new scope Eddy <3 IM IN LOVE ALREADY :D:D
IS IT MARCH YET ? :P:P:P:P:question:

Garnimoa
24-11-2017, 08:39 AM
My first Snake Valley Astronomy Camp. Really enjoyed meeting new people, seeing all the equipment and acquiring lots of knowledge along the way. Glad to have had the chance to get out under the stars, the weather looked daunting for the first few nights but I did manage to capture some DSO around the Orion region. Thrilled to have won the illuminated eyepiece, I've been 'eye-ing' (no pun intended) one off for a while now. Shower tents seems to be the fashion on the field so my next pay packet, you can guess what I'm getting.
Thank you to you all for making me feel welcome and hope to see you at the next one.

Here are some of the photos I took.

Jen
26-11-2017, 02:39 PM
I'm glad we didn't scare u away for your first camp Gerald hahaha your pics look great :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Garnimoa
02-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Hahaha, Thanks Jen!
No takes a lot more to scare me away. Working in retail during Christmas is where it can get very scary :) hehehe.

Was nice meeting you and the others, hope to do more S.V Camps in the near future.

Cheers G-)

Goschencat
02-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone for another awesome Snake Valley Camp.

Although it does seem to rain there - a lot :lol:

Great to catch up with everyone and learn heaps more stuff. The learning curve is still vertical but I'm making some headway. I took the chance to learn about my new SBig 8300C OSC camera, my new home made auto-focuser and my new Sequence Generator Pro software. Therefore the trip was planned to be mostly a learning and experimental exercise. But Jen pushed me into getting some real data too, which I was pleased about once I got home. Thanks Jen. :thanx:

And many thanks to Al, for pushing me along the processing track to get this image looking so good. You'll make someone a good wife one day, nag...nag...nag. :lol:

And we can't forget to thank Malcolm for all the organizing behind the scenes. These shows don't just happen. It takes lots of hard work but it is really appreciated.

Anyway here's my Galaxy (also posted in the deep space section of IIS)

See you all next trip.
Rex

Jen
06-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Check out the drone video taken that weekend by Rick Amer 😍😍 cheers Rick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHr8PcElkc&sns=fb

04Stefan07
07-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Haha, great video!

We couldn't stop laughing when the drone came that close!

traveller
07-12-2017, 04:27 PM
What an awesome video.
Still kicking myself for missed out on it.
Oh well, there is always next year :)

barx1963
07-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks for sharing the video Rick!! Attached is my effort on the NGC1763 nebula and surrounds from the camp.

Jen
10-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Cool Malcolm I've been waiting for others to post their pics from the weekend 🤗🤗

Wilso
10-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Great drone video Rick!

I wasn't there but enjoyed it :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Andy01
01-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Hi guys,
Happy New Year!
Any dates for March yet?
Cheers
Andy

Jen