PDA

View Full Version here: : AUGUST Photo Challenge - Comments & Notable Rejects

Photo Challenge
05-08-2017, 12:06 PM
This thread is for any comments that you would like to make on the entries in the AUGUST Photo Challenge submissions.

Additionally, if you have any other shots that you have taken on the subject that didn't quite "make the cut", but you still want to share with the IIS community, then, please, post them here too.

This month's Theme is ... "Something with wings"

zenith
12-08-2017, 07:18 PM
It's harder than you'd think to take photos of butterflies, even when you are surrounded by them in the butterfly house at the Melbourne zoo.

Allan_L
13-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Beautiful, Tim! :thumbsup:
Great capture.

sheeny
13-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Some rejects from this morning:

1: Got any chips, mister?
2: On The Wing 2.
3: On The Wing 3.
4. On the Wing 4. Just not sharp enough...

Shooting eagles on the wing is harder than I expected.:lol:

Al.

raymo
13-08-2017, 04:42 PM
This one and my entry for the August comp were taken in
Northern Vietnam.
raymo

Allan_L
13-08-2017, 05:23 PM
nice but ...?

not quite

raymo
13-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Try it from the ground Al.:lol::lol:
raymo

sheeny
13-08-2017, 06:46 PM
:lol: Silly me...

Nebulous
14-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Some great photos in the posts above. :thumbsup:

August has been a busy month, plus it’s been cold and wet, so I haven’t yet found time to go and chase after anything with wings. Heaps of bird shots in the archives, but I’d like to try for a current one.

So here’s some older pictures featuring wings:

A car from the days when their front wings actually looked like wings. Bought for $400 from a friend around fifty years ago. Long gone now but I have very happy memories of that car.

Bee heading home with some booty.

Female Red Cockatoo, near my shed.

Rare wood-duck and nest. I was lucky to spot it not far from our back door.

Guitar shop with wings. (Kosmic in Osborne Park had a Harvard hanging from the roof for a while. As you do….).

Heading Home. Sunset with wings ( cockatoo in that case). View from our verandah. One of my favourite pictures. I often use it for a desktop picture on the computer.

I did contemplate taking a picture of King Edward Hospital in Perth (which has an East and West wing) but didn’t feel that an obscure joke was really worth the drive. :)

Derek Klepp
21-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Chris like that Sunset one.

Derek Klepp
21-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Not from this month but a few wing pics.

astroron
27-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Great Pic,Not owls, Tawney Frogmouths.
Cheers

Nebulous
28-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Beautiful shots Derek. :) I can imagine how many patient hours went into capturing those.

Photo Challenge
28-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Yes indeed, some truly great shots this month, in both threads! :thumbsup:

But don't let that stop the rest of you, be part of the fun.

Ron, sorry I had to move your post, as the Entries thread is not for comments. :shrug:

astroron
28-08-2017, 02:36 PM
I was sort of expecting it to happen,it was more a suggestion to the poster so he could put the bird species in his title,to save any ambiguity. ;)

Suzy
28-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Oh my gosh, this month's challenge is packed with so many fantastic photos, I was shuddering to enter :scared2:. I nearly didn't :prey2:, when I first saw the challenge title, I thought oh sweet, it's too easy, finally a challenge that could go my way, but oh far out *not*:face:. I'll wave a g'day from the bottom of the poll :lol:. it's about having some fun.

217607 Lots of wings in this shot :lol:

Suzy
28-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Regulus
28-08-2017, 11:07 PM
For a bunch of astro-nuts, there's some seriously good wildlife and macro photographers around here.
I guess we all need something to fill up the pointless daylight hours with though. (begging the Solar guys' pardon, of course. Oh, and Suzy) :lol:

Nebulous
29-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Great shots there Suzy. :thumbsup:

Which one are you going to enter in the Comp thread?? You gotta be in it! :)

I had the same reaction as you - "that shouldn't be too hard..." and, like you, I have a ton of shots in the archives with wings in... but which to choose? Suddenly they don't look quite as good as i thought... ;) So I went for whatever I could grab this month instead. The conditions have been lousy but who cares - as long as one single person enjoyed looking at any picture I take then that's all I ask.

And I guarantee that your entry will be appreciated. (PS my vote is for sale at a very reasonable price...:D )

Cheers,

Chris

Suzy
29-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Thank you Chris, you're so kind.
Well, I was originally going to enter - see first set, no.6, of light aircraft blowing the Moon out its butt :lol: as I took it this month and trying to stay in the spirit of submitting a shot specially taken for the challenge. Well that went out the window, just like you :lol:.

I have to agree with Trev- the wildlife and macro shots are insanely superb :eyepop:, especially hard to compete with macro :help2:.
This month's winner is going to be soooo hard to pick!
I will enter a shot later today, mainly just to be along in team spirit with you guys :).

I'll do a call out on our fb page for people to come and see all these amazing pics.

Nebulous
29-08-2017, 01:36 PM
I liked No. 4 a lot too - looking like it might either be on a collision course or about to gobble up the moon. :) In fact they're all good pictures, so I've no idea how you'll pick one over another.

I think we'll all need at least 15 votes each this month - to do justice to all the splendid shots in different styles and genres! :shrug:

I'm still trying to work out how to compare such a variety of subjects and treatments... :confused2: It's great to see so much enthusiasm for terrestrial photography here.

Nebulous
29-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Just time to squeeze in a couple more from a while back...

1. I expect we have a few of these on the block but, for fairly obviously reasons, this is the only one I've seen. Amazing camouflage.

2. One of my first ever newbie attempts at a bird shot. I was so keen to get a picture that I didn't notice that one bird was completely in shade and you couldn't even see its head. Ah well... have a laugh and try again... :)

3. They say that if you don't get a good sharp eye on the bird then you don't have a bird photo.... but I still like this one, even with no eye at all. Feel the power... :) Lucky shot from the verandah

4. Ma and Pa galah nesting to the west of our house. Quite the devoted couple.

Suzy
30-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Haha they're great catches, Chris, the one with the caption so funny. I would've written, "I didn't do it, it wasn't me" above the bird which still has its head

Suzy
04-09-2017, 05:23 AM
Wow, I'm speechless to be in such close running of the "Wings" comp :scared2:

Photo Challenge
04-09-2017, 10:49 AM
... and to think... you were nearly not going to submit an entry!
Just goes to show, gotta be in it ...:thumbsup:

Great shots everybody!
Almost makes me wish we had a vote on the rejects thread !:doh: