PDA

View Full Version here: : Out Doors....do you

Harb
27-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi guys and gals,
Hope you had a great christmas with lots of family fun!!

My question is:

Do you leave your scope outdoors sometimes
or do you pack it up every time you go in?

If you do leave it out, tell us you method of protecting it from the elements.....

cheers
John

Omaroo
27-12-2006, 05:29 AM
I suppose I consider my scopes as "instruments" rather than "garden tools", so I bring them in. Water is the enemy of anything mechanical unless it is specifically designed to cope. This is just me though..... :shrug:

matt
27-12-2006, 05:46 AM
I took the first option but being a planetary imager I also sometimes leave the scope out so I can return in the early am for the best atmospheric conditions to take pics in.

I always pack up afterward though, once the imaging session is over.

acropolite
27-12-2006, 07:37 AM
I often put my LX out and then go to bed, if I wake in the wee small hours and the sky is clear I do some observing and put it away in the morning. I have a ripstop nylon cover which slips over the OTA to keep the dew at bay.

Astroman
27-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Since I dont own an observatory now, I bring my scope indoors now, dont trust anyone around here....

Ric
27-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I am too paranoid to leave the scope out alone.
We have a quiet area, but you just never know.

cheers

h0ughy
27-12-2006, 09:24 AM
just waiting fo the anti cloud tool, and the observatory

spacezebra
27-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Only when I am totally finished for the night does the scope come in.

Cheers Petra

toetoe
27-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I leave mine outside (sort of) it's in the shed with a sheet over it which is locked. I guess i could say it's outside but inside.:shrug:

jjjnettie
27-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I'll set up late in the afternoon, and return to the scope every couple of hours during the night.
Once finished, unless it looks like rain, I'll cover the scope and put it away in the morning, after a bit of solar viewing.
If leaving the scope out, first I'll wipe off the dew, put a shower cap over the mirror end, then cover the whole thing with a cotton mattress cover, tucking it in well at the base so no nasties can sneak in, then the shadecloth cover goes on to protect it from the hot morning sun, if the dew is heavy a tarp is wrapped over top and kept in place with velcro ties.

leon
27-12-2006, 10:43 AM
It dosn't matter how late it is, after i have finished what i was doing, i always pack everything back to it's original place, which can take quite some time, but it is expensive equipment we are using, and needs to be looked after.

Cheers Leon

stephenmcnelley
27-12-2006, 02:22 PM
That is a tough one, i leave it out throughout the night in the field next door as i go back and forward throughout night/morning, but pack it up when it is all over.
I guess i worry more about the EP's being flogged than the scope. When i am not out there with the scopes i cover them with a good quality shower curtain if it is a dry time, it lets them breath and keeps dew off.
If the conditions are dicey i will wheel it in and out as need be or if it is only marginally rainy then will cover the scope with my motorcycle cover, as there would only be one out.

asimov
27-12-2006, 02:43 PM
My mount is a permanent fixture, (on pier) but I bring the OTA in when I've finished using it.

rogerg
27-12-2006, 05:31 PM
If using my portable setup I am quite particular about it's security. If at a remote observing site by myself or with a small group of people just for a night I will always pack it away in the car before going to bed. If I am at a camp/star party I will leave the mount out to stay aligned but put any optics and other accessories back in the car, and keep a close eye on it as much as practical during the day.

Unfortunately I think no matter the location it warrents some care as to if you'd leave equipment unatended.

If using my portable setup at home (for whatever reason) I would only leave it out while sleeping if it was really required (special early morning event or whatever). Even for the transit of Mercury I still just set it up in the morning, got up 30mins early.

I always leave the observatory locked when I leave it to go inside, even for a short while, I figure I never know if I might happen to stay inside longer than planned.

Roger.

ving
28-12-2006, 12:59 PM
after strikers horror story who would leave thier gear just sitting out in the open over night?

cahullian
28-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I leave mine outside near the front door.

anj026
28-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I have a permanant pier with the alt az mount protected by a simple canvas cover. There are no motors or electronics to worry about. The OTA is locked up in the shed or house when not in use. If I will be up early in the morning to observe I leave the OTA under cover on the patio. Our 2 dogs are very good at announcing visitors welcome or otherwise.

h0ughy
28-12-2006, 03:55 PM
:P

Rodstar
28-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I usually put my scope out in the late afternoon, to cool down, and come back to it after the kids are in bed. I would never leave it out at home all night....more for fear of hailstorms etc rather than being stolen. At starparties I do leave my scope set up all night under a thick tarpaulin, and that serves the purpose well.

Harb
28-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Its interesting how most here are worried about the scum bag theives.......
Not the elements.........

gaa_ian
28-12-2006, 04:50 PM
For observing at home I voted for option 1, as I observe in the front yard.
When out for longer or at our dark(ish) sky site I use a plastic drop sheet for the remainder of the morning after observing & pack up at first light (usually).

Lester
31-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Just realising how lucky I am to have an observatory.

Take my hat off to all those who have to travel to dark skies, and set up and pull down.

stephenmcnelley
31-12-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks for the reminder Lester.