PDA

View Full Version here: : Serious Mount Decision. Need help.

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I am at a point of dilemma.

I am about to pay for my mount but another option has come up.

I would really appreciate the help of my friends here in IIS as it is a BIG purchase for me and must last me for many years.

I have to make the decision between 2 mounts. The price of both is the same so that doesn't come into the equation.

1. EQ5 with Vixen Skysensor 2000 PC on solid Surveyors Tripod.

2. HEQ5 Pro with V.3 Synscan on Stainless Steel Tripod.

Any help with this final decision will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 05:49 PM
I will NOT be putting my 12" on it.

I will be putting my ED80 on it for now, and maybe an ED100 or similiar in the future. :thumbsup:

mick pinner
26-12-2006, 05:52 PM
well Ken IMHO you would have to go with the Vixen Skysensor, don't worry too much about a tripod at the end of the day a pier if you go that way is cheap to make.
hearing of the problems a lot of people are having with the V3 controllers l wouldn't think it would be worth the frustration.

Astroman
26-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh boy are you in the poo with this decision. Man there are so many pro's and cons to this equation you could write a book about it. I am soooooooo glad I am not in your situation. Can you get them molded together into a HEQ5 Pro with Skysensor :)

Really mate this is a tough one you will find many pro's and con's to each. Is the HEQ5 New or second hand? Personally I would go the HEQ5 Pro, but you know I dont mind them, on the other hand the Skysensor is already a great working GOTO unit the v3 still has some bugs to iron out.

Whats the load carrying capacity of the HEQ5 compared to the EQ5 about 5kg? not really much there, maybe an ED80 next to an ED80 :)

Okay go the Skysensor, I dont know anyone with one yet so you would be the first :)

Sorry can't be of any better help mate.

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 06:16 PM
yep, tough choice. I am more concerned about the GoTo software features, reliability and accuracy than the carrying capacity as I won't be putting anything super heavy on it.

Astroman
26-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Go the Sky Sensor then...

or... Forget about it and give me your ED80 :D :joke:

Striker
26-12-2006, 06:35 PM
The thing to consider does the skysensor come with any warranty.

Thats a big thing to me.

If your using the mount only for an ED80 / 100ED then the skysensor is the better choice....my concerns are as above.

UniPol
26-12-2006, 07:06 PM
The choice may be easier now, Bintel currently have a special on the HEQ5 Pro mount for $1599 and the EQ6 Pro mount for $1999. Both come with V3. I saw the ad on their web page today.

Cheers, Steve B

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 07:23 PM
That's why the dilemma Steve. The Bintel Christmas special price on the HEQ5 Pro with V.3 at now matches that of the EQ5 with SS2kPC.

I must admit, I do like the many extra features on the Skysensor 2kPC, but I wanna make sure it is the best buy, as I can't afford to buy another mount for many years. The Bintel price just threw a spanner in the works.

I don't care about the HEQ5 looking pretty in white (colour won't help accuracy), but I do care about getting the best software. I know nothing about either GoTo systems, that's why I need help.

Dennis
26-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Ken

What is the SS2K SW version?
Check the software version of the SS2K. I purchased one of the first models in Australia in July 1997 and the SW Version was 1.7. This did not have PC control although it did have the 6 pin Mini-DIN connector on the controller hand unit. I later upgraded the EEPROMs in 2001 to V2.5 which did have PC control. The upgrade cost me around Au $200 from memory.

Is the SS2K from America?
The other issue with the SS2K is that in the USA, a Vixen competitor complained to the FCC who then prohibited the SS2K PC version because it had not been tested against the US radio frequency interference standards or whatever. This resulted in Vixen disabling the PC control function on US imports and I think that the SW Version was V 2.10 at that stage.

How is the SS2K Upgraded?
The way you upgrade is to open up the unit, remove 2 chips (these are the EEPROMs), return these to Vixen and they will send you the new chips. I have heard that these chips are old so there is a shortage of them, hence the need to return them to Vixen for recycling as they re-program them.

So, in summary:

What is the SS2K SW version?
Does the hand controller have the 6 pin Mini-DIN connector for the cable that connects the SS2K to your computer?
If it does, is it connected to the PCB inside the controller, or has it not been connected if it is an American unit?
Has the current owner used the SS2K connected to a computer?
Is connecting the SS2K to a computer important to you – I think the answer would be yes.
What are the motors on the mount? Are they Vixen motors?
If they are Vixen motors, are they MT2, MT3 or MT4 models?

The SS2K is a fantastic controller and if the current owner has been using the GoTo on the EQ5 successfully and has been operating the mount and the SS2K/EQ5 successfully via a PC, then I think that would provide positive answers to my questions above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis
26-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi Ken

Some other thoughts:

From Vixen's point of view, the SS2K is dead - no more development, although it is a damn good unit and even almost 10 years on, IMHO it is not lacking in the important functions.
There is no GPS capability but IMHO you don't need it.
What are your options if the motors on the EQ5 fail? Can you get replacements?
Who will provide the better support?
Who will provide spares, upgrades?

Cheers

Dennis

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks Dennis,

It is the SS2k 'PC' model not the earlier model. Yes it has been used via a computer. The motors are genuine Vixen. This one is factory PC, not an upgraded chip version. As to the motors being MT2, 3, or 4 I do not know, but it is the last model before discontinuing.

Yes, the current owner (and an IIS member also) have used it on the EQ5 via PC and it is deadly accurate.

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Hmmmm, good points Dennis.

Dennis
26-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Ken

When I purchased my brand new SS2K in 1997, the MT2 motors failed within a couple of months and in the end, I ended up replacing them 3 times in 12 months. This became a known problem and it appears that Vixen addressed this through the progression of MT3 and MT4 models. My current MT2 set have been in use for approx 8 years now and (touch wood) have not given me any problems.

In the past, Vixen were always helpful and prompt in replacing the motors and have appeared to fix the motor problems, although once in a blue moon someone on the Vixen Yahoo groups will post a message asking “does anyone have a spare motor as mine isn’t working” or words to that effect.

My ideal mount would be something like a Takahashi or AP with the Vixen SS2K controller.

Cheers

Dennis

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 08:35 PM
But which has the better software, accuracy, reliability etc etc. The SSk2PC or the Synscan V.3.???

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 08:38 PM
The Vixen has incredible extra features, but am I getting a mount that may not be able to be fixed if I do get it, whereas the V.3 will have a warranty and is upgradable.

Hmmm, 'features' versus 'back-up'.

Dennis
26-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Ken

I've had my SS2K for almost 9 years and the hand controller has been reliable although I had to get the cable fixed a couple of years ago where one of the internal wires broke. An electrician did it for me for a few beers.

Unless you drop the SS2K controller or some electronic component dies in the hand unit, there are probably not many things that can go wrong? The EQ5 mount may need a re-grease?

Some people do find comfort in acquiring a reliable system that has been used by a careful owner, especially if you know the person and know that they generally look after their gear.

Cheers

Dennis

sejanus
26-12-2006, 08:59 PM
hey ken I have never used the vixen but i can vouch for the accuracy of the syncan v3 in terms of goto. although the mount frustrated the daylights out of me when I bought it, now it is working - the accuracy in goto after you do a decent alignment is spot on.

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks Dennis,

The EQ5 has had the 'strip-down and re-grease' treatment already.

9 years! That a very good run!!!

I certainly have a tough decision to make :(

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks sejanus, have you had any bugs with the v.3 yet? I hear that some people have had trouble with it.

sejanus
26-12-2006, 09:49 PM
yeah i did have some bugs, although a couple of software versions later and it is all good. So don't worry, all the frustrations have been worn by people like me who were the first to get the v3.

The goto accuracy is tops - I do a 2 star align with an illuminated 12mm, and then everything I can goto within view of my backyard it pins it dead center on the 80mm. awesome stuff

h0ughy
26-12-2006, 09:51 PM
I havent, and I would go the heq5 and the synscan v3 simply because of the parts available and the upgradability of the hand controller now. the other might be good but no new spares available and the tripod os not too bad with that weight on it, the surveyors one would be ok too, but to a limit. the HEQ5 is beefier, and in a little wind may handle better too. Just going against striker and CO on this one, just to confuse you more.

I like the eq6 so the heq5 should be its little brother!!

ballaratdragons
26-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks Houghy,

I need to make a decision fairly fast as I don't know how long Bintel will have the Christmas special on for.

h0ughy
26-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Use the Force ken, Use the Force.....:lol: ;)

mick pinner
26-12-2006, 11:34 PM
if you deceide that you want the V3 then it would make sense to spend the extra $400 and get the EQ6 that would give you more options with other OTA's. if you want to upgrade later the HEQ5 will only be worth half what you paid for it.

beren
27-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I have experiance with neither Ken but protect yourself mate go with the new and be comforted that you'll have a warranty and backup

Dennis
27-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Hi Ken

To help you focus on the main issues, write a list of what is important to you and then compare the two offerings. Some examples might be:

Weight carrying capacity.
Ease of set up and use.
Does the mount provide for auto guiding for long exposure astro photography?
Is PEC available?
Ease of break down and set up for astro camps.
Build quality - metal parts or plastic?
Can the mount be used manually if there is no local power/battery?
Future upgrades.
After sales support.
Ease of polar alignment.
Polar alignment ‘scope (for the S hemisphere).
Which mount is “easier” to tinker with and tune to fix niggling little problems?
User interface – mechanical, are the various knob and clutches laid out logically?
Hand controller interface – easy to use?
Does the mount provide for computer control?

Discard any “gee whiz” features that might look nice on paper, but you will have no use for.

I know money is always tight, but often you are better off tightening your belt and paying that little extra for an item that will satisfy you for say, 5 to 10 years, rather than a cheaper one that you may outgrow or find limiting in say, 1 to 3 years.

It looks like you could be satisfied with either option? Don’t be fooled by an “out of the box” experience! Every mount I have owned (NexStar, GP, GPDX and EM200) has required me to interact with it and understand it to get the best performance from it. And even then, they still misbehave sometimes!

Cheers

Dennis

ballaratdragons
27-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you Dennis, all very serious points to consider.

As I read thru your list of issues I realised many fit both and some fit one or the other.
Both mounts have good points which is why this is so hard :(

Thank you to the other folk who have given opinions and advice. All good advice for both options.

Hmmm . . . :shrug:

sejanus
27-12-2006, 08:38 PM
hi ken

Wouldn't it make sense to get the eq6? that way in the future if you wanted to put something heavier on it, you'd have no worries.

I know it is a bit heavier though and it is pretty awkward to move around.

ballaratdragons
27-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes sejanus, it does make more sense, but the $$$ is what is stopping me.

ving
27-12-2006, 09:35 PM
gee thats quite a decision ken. best of luck mate :)
reading whats been said, i dont know... getting parts is important i guess... gee i dont know ken.

good luck :)

ballaratdragons
27-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Ta Vingo. Yep it's tough.

ballaratdragons
29-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Too Late Now!!!! Decision made, Mount in the mail on it's way :thumbsup:

See new thread :D http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=16036