PDA

View Full Version here: : Cats Paw, Helix, Ring and Dumbbell

Benjamin
24-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Had a busy night with my focally reduced ed100 and imaged the following objects with a modded 40D. All are calibrated and stacked in Nebulosity and processed in StarTools.

Cats Paw Nebula (again, but with better alignment) 21x 5 minute subs. I think the sense of depth is better with the 8" Newt but got some finer detail I think.

Helix Nebula 10x 3 minute subs. Seemed to be lots of gradients shooting near the horizon, plus street lights and a tree, so the image is heavily cropped and heavily noise reduced.

Ring Nebula 10x 3 minute subs. There was also a lot of noise shooting over the city lights in this one.

Dumbbell Nebula 3x 3 minute subs. My battery ran out of puff so only 3 shots also over city glow but it worked surprisingly well, which I guess isn't too surprising for its relative brightness.

StarTools I'm slowly getting more fluent with (tweaking here and there) although if I switch between before and after images too rapidly I can inadvertently crash the program which is very frustrating at times!. As usual any advice more than welcome. I've learnt heaps already from comments made here :thumbsup:

blink138
24-07-2017, 11:58 AM
wow surprisingly good for your location then ben!
pat

cometcatcher
24-07-2017, 06:00 PM
These are great. Well done.

carlstronomy
25-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Awesome, really nice images :)

luka
25-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Very nice Ben.

Does anyone know what is the small red fuzzy spot at about 8:30 o'clock from the Dumbbell nebula?

Benjamin
25-07-2017, 06:38 AM
I have a feeling it'd be noise (or a reflection of some sort) that has had an interesting journey through processing!

EDIT: Looking back over the subs it seems there are two bright red-ish stars that should be there and that have somehow been masked out :-/

Atmos
25-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Some nice shots there Ben :)