PDA

View Full Version here: : Upgrading focuser on ED127

that_guy
24-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Everyone seems to have done it so someone ought to know. If I upgrade the focuser to a moonlite, will I be able to focus both eyepieces and cameras? The current focuser I have can only focus cameras (not enough in focus) and I need to switch it back to the default focuser if I want to use an eyepiece.

Saturnine
24-07-2017, 02:45 PM
I remember quite a few posts several years ago about the North Optics ( E.S. Maxvision etc ) 127mm triplets, about the owners having trouble with the focusers, not reaching focus for visual use and not handling the weight of cameras, especially pointing near zenith.
That said, before Xmas I obtained an 127 triplet for myself and use it for visual and imaging, webcam and dslr. Using an Explore Scientific 2" diagonal I can reach focus with most 2" and 1.25" eyepieces with about 5 to 10mm of in travel left. If I use an 1.25" diagonal I have about 30 to 40mm of in travel left on the drawtube. That is with the standard supplied focuser from Maxvision and it has no trouble with the weight of an dslr. Monochrome cameras and filter wheels will be a lot heavier and more problematic, hence the need for more exotic focusers.

wasyoungonce
24-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Yeah infocus issue...because they added a ring to the image focusing train when adding a new focuser...which put the whole train back 25mm or so.

Anyway I put on a ML 2.5" CFL with motor. of course you might not want the motor and this save somewhat. I chose the ML because I had TV 2.4" camera adaptors and other stuff that fits the ML very well.

Since mine is 4.5" travel then I can easily reach focus in and out.

If your imaging they usually sell the 3" travel DT and you can screw on adaptors directly. If for visual then the 4.5" travel DT is usually used.

But that said...if your thinking of the ES 0.7X reducer flattener (for imaging) then this is a 3" unit...your going to need a bigger TD...or a 2.5" to 3" adaptor. I don't think ML make such an adaptor thus you have to use the ES 2" adaptors. Kinda defeating the purpose isn't it.

I'm sure Ron can make a 3"...you have to ask

Basically think about what your going to do with the scope...visual/imaging or a mix as this effects what you need in focuser.

that_guy
24-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Im looking to do both visual and imaging. While it is primarily used for imaging at home, when at outreach events and when ive finished imaging and just want to use an eyepiece to relax , id like the option of having enough focus for both eyepieces and camera without exchanging focuser in the dark.

casstony
24-07-2017, 05:27 PM
You could just use the default focuser for imaging and visual to minimise spending. I had one once and the focuser was quite useable.

If you spend up on a Moonlite or Feathertouch keep in mind that it might get used on future refractors (with a new adapter).

There is a 3" FT and a slightly larger 'True 3'. The larger one will take the 3" barrel of the ES 0.7x reducer, whereas an adapter would be needed for the regular 3".