PDA

View Full Version here: : Printing on canvas feedback and opinions sought

Spookyer
23-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Hi all

I am looking at printing a few of my images. I am considering getting a couple of large canvas images done to put up on the wall. I have done numerous canvas images over the years of non astro subjects and have been happy but I am wondering how astro images come out on canvas?

Obviously this is somewhat a personal taste thing but in general have those who have printed or seen astro images done on canvas think it is a suitable process. Do the stars look ok for example? I would probably be printing mainly nebulas rather than globulars but still a lot of stars in the images.

thanks
Brett

xelasnave
23-07-2017, 09:18 AM
I have thought about it.
Probably need to experiment and to make it work you may have to take liberties with colours.
I look forward to what this thread turns up.
Alex

Andy01
23-07-2017, 09:25 AM
I'm probably old school but I prefer my astro photos printed on Fuji Flex or metal - to my eye high gloss is the appropriate finish for space images.
I'm also concerned about what detail would be lost from the canvas medium.

xelasnave
23-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Hi Andy
I think one would have to have an "artistic" approach where say some of the photo is blurred to created depth.
Years ago a few of us were doing it with our astro photos and they were pleasing but technically wrong.
Alex

Wavytone
23-07-2017, 06:56 PM
There's also the trick of breathing on the lends mid exposure to add a slight fog, which enlarges bright stars and helps bring out their colour.

Spookyer
29-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks for comments and agree with your concern Andy, but has anybody out there printed on canvas?

RickS
30-07-2017, 10:42 AM
I thought about trying and decided "nah..." :) We go to so much trouble to bring out sharpness and detail it seems a shame to waste it. But please go ahead and try it, Brett, and report back :thumbsup: It will probably look great and prove that I have the aesthetic sensibilities you'd expect from an anal retentive computer geek :lol:

Cheers,
Rick.

DavidTrap
30-07-2017, 02:41 PM
+1

I see canvas as the medium of choice for printing blurry, low resolution images.

We have a family portrait printed on aluminium - that's the business, but prepare yourself for sticker shock!!

DT

strongmanmike
30-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Done it twice for my wife:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=191868

and

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=175180

Worked nicely, wasn't about getting a high res reproduction

:)

Slawomir
30-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Nice photos Mike :thumbsup:

I printed a few images on metal, acrylic and on canvas. I would not recommend canvas for astro images. I like metal for lightness, especially if you print big, but acrylic to my eye looks like it has a greater depth.

Suavi