PDA

View Full Version here: : Astrotortilla for a noob

skogpingvin
20-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Hi experts

I'm trying to get Astrotortilla working - I went to an ASV presentation about it the other day and it looks awesome, and I had a go but just can't work it out.

First things first, before I go any further, I need to know if I have the necessary equipment.

I've got an NEQ6 connected via an EQmod cable to a laptop running the ASCOM platform. I use Stellarium for pointing and PHD2 for guiding, and have an Orion 50mm mini guide scope with an ASI120MM camera. I think the rest (main scope, DSLR) is just along for the ride.

Is this all I need? When it's up and running with this setup, can Astrotortilla interrogate PHD2 (which will be looping but not guiding) to grab an image, solve it, then adjust the mount and synch Stellarium?

Or am I missing something, 'cos I don't have Nebulosity, MaximDL, Backyard EOS, etc? Can Astrotortilla somehow use the dark magic that is ASCOM to get an image straight from the AS120MM?

kens
21-07-2017, 02:10 AM
You can connect AT to your guide cam with ASCOM but you can't be looping at the same time. AT needs to be able to control the camera. As an alternative you can save the PHD2 image and use the File option in AT. You might also want to use StellariumScope so that Stellarium, AT and PHD2 can all talk to your mount.

skogpingvin
21-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah, thanks, forgot that bit. I got StellariumScope.

Hmm, can't use Astrotortilla while looping in PHD2, huh? OK, that makes sense. I'll have a go at installing it again this weekend.

Am I asking on the right part of the forum? I'm planning to set it up, and I'm expecting to have lots of technical questions.

Bill

lazjen
26-07-2017, 12:14 PM
If you use software to control your DSLR, that could also be used with Astrotortilla. For example, I use APT and it grabs an image via that. This then has no impact on PHD2 camera use at all then.