PDA

View Full Version here: : GSO RC-16A astrograph.

johnnyt123
17-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been looking to upgrade my gear and have been looking at possibly purchasing the GSO RC16 which sells for u see $7000 from Andrews Communications.

Firstly I want to ask if anyone knows of any good reviews of this scope or if anyone out there has any personal experience with this scope.

Secondly it weighs 37kg. So a mount with a payload of 45-50kg would be needed. Now that's getting into pretty expensive territory. Can anyone recommend a capable mount for a respectable price tag?

Thanks.

John

xelasnave
17-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Not from my experience but maybe an eq8 which is probably around 5k.
Alex

benklerk
18-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Hi John

I'm also about to buy the GSO RC 16, but on the hunt of reviews the EQ8 will be pushed to the limits and you need at least 4 counterweights maybe 5 and guiding starts to become effected, this is from overseas reviews. So I gave the EQ8 a miss and I'm looking at the Mesu 200 and can handle weights of 100Kg. Its about twice the cost of the EQ8 but its preforms like a high end mount it even beats the MX mounts.

Ben

xelasnave
18-07-2017, 07:40 AM
I found this

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=150856

Alex

Marke
18-07-2017, 08:20 AM
AP 1100 carries 50kg and still portable although getting up in price

lazjen
18-07-2017, 09:10 AM
I think I need to start working out more if a RC16 is considered a portable scope... :)

Marke
18-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Lol it may not be but at least the mount is

Paul Haese
18-07-2017, 09:47 AM
I have owned several GSO RC's now. I am currently imaging with an RC12 which gives me great results. I have been working quite closely with GSO and Bintel on the development of these scopes. Over the years there have been several upgrades to the design and the current line of scopes represents the apex of that development so far.

I have every confidence that the optics will be good. Every GSO scope I have owned has great optics.

However, you will need to undertake some modifications yourself. First up, is the purchase of a quality focuser. The current crop of focusers are good but not really suitable for imaging. Secondly you will need to install a secondary heater. Kendrick make a good range of secondary heaters. Feel free to do a search here on GSO RC's. I made a post on how to do this within a thread about the new truss GSO when I first got the truss.

I doubt that this scope is portable, in fact I am sure it is not suitable for this sort of practice. The 12" is quite heavy to lift over head and I am a fairly strong guy. The 16 will be a two man lift to get onto a mount at normal mounting height. An EQ8 might be able to carry this scope with a big camera, focuser, rotator and OAG. You could well be up around the 50kg mark with cables and everything on board. I think you might want to get something smaller if you want portable.

Best of luck with the purchase.

johnnyt123
18-07-2017, 11:24 AM
LOL Mark and Chris.

Ben
the Mesu 200 is a very respectable mount but as you mentioned it is twice the cost of the EQ8. I have also read that they can't be stand alone mounts and need to be connected to a PC for good GoTo function. They also don't work with SkySafari. I am not sure if these comments are accurate though.

Marke
the AP1100 has the same payload as the EQ8 of 50kg. With camera dnd secondary scope and guide scope I can easily see this limit being reached. It I would guess that the AP1100 will perform. Errer at this limit. Having said that I have a heq5 pro that is at its payload limits and maybe slightly over which performs flawlessly.

Paul
Thanks for that great response.
I didn't consider upgrading the focused nir getting a rotator but it does all make sense.
So judging by people's comments it seems that any $5000 mount will be operating at its limits reducing accuracy and increasing risk of mount failure....
And this will be for a portable setup but that is mainly sliding the rig in and out of the garage.
So I guess the EQ8 is a maybe for now and I need to look at a more capable mount.....

Regards
John.

Paul Haese
18-07-2017, 11:36 AM
John,

you won't be able to use a guide scope with the 16". The differential flexure issue will prevent you from using a guide scope.

theodog
18-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I have the GSO 14"RC on an EQ8, ~goes well. However, I think the GSO 16"RC would be a step to far.

No way would the 16"RC be portable, going on lifting the 14"RC.

Off axis would also be the way to go with the 16"RC.

Pretty much as Paul said really.:D

Marke
18-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Jeff the AP is underrated in practice that is out will easily carry more than that with no prob. It's rating is for worst possible case ie I big long loaded refractor for imaginig in windy conditions it has no issues carrying more weight than that. There is the 1600 100kg capacity if you are really serious lol