PDA

View Full Version here: : How do i mothball a mount?

glend
26-06-2017, 09:46 AM
What, if anthing, can, or should, be done to 'mothball' a mount to protect it for future use or sale? The mount is a six month old CGX, currently sitting on the pier in my observatory, covered by large towel and it has condensation on it most mornings till the observatory warms up. I should probably bring it in the house but cannot do that for now. Ideas?

Atmos
26-06-2017, 09:52 AM
As power isn't an issue, strategically placed dew straps will stop condensation from forming in the first place.

LewisM
26-06-2017, 10:15 AM
If you have the original foam lined shipping boxes, I'd put it back in there after making sure that it is thoroughly dry, and adding a bunch of silica gel sachets just to be sure. Plus, assuming your observatory is large enough, you wouldn't need to take it inside. Or even in the garage?

I'd also avoid using a towel directly - they are water absorbent (obviously). You would be best off with something like a thermal blanket (the silver mylar variety - cost pennies), followed by a waterproof sleeping bag or tarp, then something soft. I use a mylar blanket, then a sleeping bag style ground sheet then a flannelette blanket, covered in a good quality silver tarp. That lived outside - NO OBSERVATORY - for 14 months without a single issue.

Sounds almost like you've given up on Celestron's Finest - have you got another mount in mind or on order Glen?

dannat
26-06-2017, 11:37 AM
try a Styrofoam box over the top of it, like a broccoli box, secure in place

casstony
26-06-2017, 11:43 AM
My plans for leaving a CGEM setup under a 365 cover were cancelled the first time I left it out. It was covered in condensation in the morning. I can't imagine that's good for the electronics. I'll try it again in the warmer months.

Can you fit some lightweight insulation in the observatory with an air gap between the insulation and outer wall?

leon
26-06-2017, 01:27 PM
The best way to do this is to buy a fan from Big W plug it in and let it run continuously, the moving air eliminates any condensation.
I did this in my Observatory and they ran for six months at a time till i replaced them.
It really dose work, and fan will set you back 15 bucks if your lucky and use very little power.

Leon

glend
26-06-2017, 02:05 PM
No Lewis, the CGX has performed very well for me. I have no other mount in mind. This is a complete astronomy hiatus due to health issues, and a recent hospital trip. Frankly, i don't know when i will feel like it again. I went out there last night, a wonderful clear night here, and the spark has gone. Maybe when my health improves and it warms up. Right now i don't want to think about it.

Re the original question, and the responses, i think i will get my son to move the head unit into the house on his next visit; until then i will use a low watt light bulb in the wedge to keep it warm ( the old Dob mirror heater trick).