PDA

View Full Version here: : Saturn in good seeing

Mickoid
16-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Tuesday night was good seeing in Melbourne. Shot these two with a Canon 550d and a modified Microsoft Lifecam Studio. The Webcam turned out better than I thought, less noise than the Canon but the Canon shows more detail.

Both shot through an 8 inch f5 Newtonian. 2xBarlow and 6mm eyepiece projection using movie crop mode @ 1600 iso for the Canon and 2.5x TV Powermate using SharpCap for the Webcam.

Nino
16-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Nice shot Michael.

ChrisV
16-06-2017, 06:51 PM
That's really nice. I didn't think it could go so well with an f5 newt

Rigel003
17-06-2017, 12:00 PM
The Canon shot is very nice. Nice colour balance and a good level of detail.

Camelopardalis
17-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Really nice shot Michael :thumbsup: maybe add another Barlow into the optical path with the Canon, your scope will have more to give on a good night!

Atmos
17-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Particularly like the second one! Looks a lot like what I saw on Thursday night with my 4" at 138x but less colourful :)

Mickoid
19-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Thanks John.

Thanks Chris, the 8 inch f5 Newt is quite a versatile scope to have, the 'Jack of all trades' so to speak.

Thanks Graeme, Movie Crop mode on some selected models is a very handy feature and with Saturn you can capture plenty of frames but for some reason this time the result was a little noisy.

Thanks Dunk, I never thought 'stacking' 2 barlows together
would improve the image quality. I only have one now but I think if had the opportunity to do that, I would need a longer T adapter?
Cheers Colin, we've had some good nights in Melbourne this week for planetary imaging, despite the waning moon, looks like the showers will be arriving for the New Moon this weekend! Did you manage to take any shots through your 4 inch?

LostInSp_ce
01-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Great captures Michael. The second one is a ripper. Looks like there's been some good seeing. Hopefully the skies are still clear when I get back.