PDA

View Full Version here: : bad seeing = poor performing software

Somnium
30-05-2017, 01:17 PM
so i have been a member of this forum for a while now and in this time i have complained about a lot of software not working, including;

PemPro not training PEC
focus max v curve not working
the sky autoguiding callibration
CCDstack image registration
CCDstack FWHM strange readings

i knew that my location was rubbish and i only had maybe 1 or 2 days a year with decent seeing so i decided to check out a new location, after running for a night with good seeing, all of the above issues were resolved. it is amazing how many issues can come about because of poor seeing. so sorry to all of those ppl on the forums who tried to help me with these issues over the years, i need to get to work building a new obs in this new location :)

multiweb
30-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Bad seeing makes it almost impossible to focus by the numbers or even attempt a v curve. In this case a bahtinov mask is the best alternative. Guiding can be improved by lengthening the exposure duration and minimizing corrections.

atalas
31-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi Aidan!

Yeah sure,the bandaid stops the bleeding but the wound is still there Marc....crap data:sad:.....what a bunch of desperate sods we are :lol:

multiweb
31-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Hey mate, I'm used to produce crap data as is, I don't need bad seeing. Get your facts right. :lol: We had good seeing at the SPSP but I packed the wrong pair of reading glasses :sadeyes:

atalas
31-05-2017, 02:29 PM
maybe too many of these:drink::drink::drink::drink::d rink::drink:still,all I can say is:violin:

Hey Aidan....when you gonna start building your obs?

Somnium
31-05-2017, 10:50 PM
so, i did my second round of site testing and got seeing conditions around the 2 second mark. and that was without collimating after taking the scope off-road (i had no time) results can be seen here, https://www.facebook.com/Somnium-Observatory-618688161540178/insights/?referrer=page_insights_tab_button
keep in mind i got a little over an hour of data and the clouds rolled in so i had 1 colour image for each channel. i want to do 1 more check maybe next new moon, fixing the collimation, running a PEC, and taking images closer to zenith before i make the plunge. But if all goes well i should start building it in the next couple of months. once i make the decision i will take a week or more off and go hard !! looking forward to it, i have missed having an obs.

atalas
02-06-2017, 11:56 PM
I bet you have mate!so I take It the mount hasn't caused you anymore probs?

Anyway best of luck with It!

Somnium
03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
mount appears to be fixed, so fingers crossed i am good