PDA

View Full Version here: : Tripod recommendation

OneCosmos
27-05-2017, 07:43 AM
I have the EQ8 with the standard pier, which is perfect for imaging in the field but way too low for visual use. Does anyone know if of a tall tripod sturdy enough to take the EQ8 head and 152mm refractor? It doesn't need the same stability as I do for imaging of course but still shouldn't be flimsy. The pier in my observatory is about 5ft tall and yields an acceptable height for visual use, even though I don't do so typically due to light pollution. I want something I can take to observing nights where people don't have to lie on the ground to look at anything above 30 degrees!

el_draco
27-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Losmandy folding field tripod. Hands down the most stable tripod I have ever used.

PhilTas
27-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Chris,
I don't know of a tripod that would be tall enough, but what about an extension to your standard pier?
It wouldn't be too hard to make one that will raise the head to the height you want.
Cheers Phil

Wavytone
27-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Chris, I picked up a secondhand military theodolite tripod made by Wild-Heerbrugge for $250 including shipping. It was hardly used - nary a scratch on the paint.

Set up with the legs fully extended the top is at 180cm above ground. With my AZ8 on that I'm standing to look through my refractor (130mm f/7 APO), and it's even a tad too high for my mak - and I'm tall - 192 cm .

What's more it's stiffer than the Losmandy tripod that shipped with the AZ8.

You can buy tripods from Bunnings but these are smaller and made for builders dumpy levels, hence not as stiff as the ones used for precision theodolites.

If you want to adapt a theodolite tripod they aren't hard to find on eBay. You'll need to dismantle the central bolt (doesn't fit telescopes) and instead have a plug made to fit the central hole, usually 60mm diameter.

Also make sure you get one with a flat top - some have a convex spherical surface on the top - this was used to level whatever sat on top but probably won't suit a mount.