PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher vs GSO 8" f/4 CF newt

that_guy
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Hi there, ive been browsing my next big purchase and decided on a 8" f/4 cf newtonian. Andrews sells a GSO one for $600 whereas bintel has a skywatcher brand one for $1450. Why is the skywatcher one more than twice the price? Is there any noticeable difference? Ill (hopefully) be using it with the baader mpcc and 500d on a heq5 mount if that matters.

brian nordstrom
12-05-2017, 06:59 PM
:shrug: Good point , but I have heard that the GSO ones need a few adaptors/spacers to reach focus using a DSLR , not $850 worth tho :question: ..
Focusers should be comparible but for imaging a Moonlight would be the go but people do good stuff with the standard GSO and SW focusers after a little tinkering .

Every GSO Newtonion I have ever looked thru has has very good to excellent optics and build .

Your HEQ5 should carry the CF tube easily .

Brian.

that_guy
12-05-2017, 07:34 PM
I guess its juat a case of brand snobbery :shrug:

raymo
12-05-2017, 08:24 PM
This is not a straight forward comparison. Andrews are grey importers,
and as such can often get deals unavailable to normal retailers.
GSO and SW products are usually much of a muchness pricewise,
so I'm guessing that Andrews either got a great deal on a batch of GSO scopes, or are clearing out some excess stock. Andrews price for the 8"
SW f/4 CF imaging Newt is $1299, somewhat better than $1450, and also there is the SW five year warranty to consider. The GSO you mention is marketed as an imaging scope, so will probably not require any adaptors [other than the always needed T-ring] for use with a DSLR [the retailer will be able to tell you].
raymo

brian nordstrom
12-05-2017, 09:57 PM
:thumbsup: Politics of telescope selling ,,,,, no one is safe but yes Ray you bring up valid points .

Brian.

doppler
12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Here's a good write up for the specs on a skywatcher cf ota. Seems that the skywatcher has pyrex glass mirrors and baffles in the tube.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-quattro-f4-imaging-newtonian.html

and one for the GSO

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5782_GSO-Carbon-Fibre-Newtonian-Telescope-8--F-4---Tube-made-in-Germany.html

Best to call the guys at Andrews and ask them about the differences they sell both scopes.

brian nordstrom
12-05-2017, 11:40 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: great work Doppler .
Brian.

brian nordstrom
12-05-2017, 11:48 PM
:shrug: OOP's My iStar is better than my sold 127mm triplet ?

My C9.25 is better than my sold Takahashi Mewlon 210 ?

I HATE !!! scope snobbery ,,, have been banned more than once from our sweet IIS .

I have and love and use my iStar 127mm Achromat instead of a 127mm triplet .. Why ?

I have and love ( really do ) my C9.25 instead of a beautiful Takahashi M210 ?

:question::question::question: The C9.25 beat the Mewlon ,,,,:help:
Sold the Tak ,,, Yes I know scope snobbery and hate it .

Don't ask me about my ( SOLD ) Takahashi Sky90 :poke::poke::poke: When she is side by side with my Saxon 90mm f10 achro ??? .
i HEAR YOU ,,, SOME PEOPLE BEILEVE THAT BECAUSE YOUR SCOPE IS WORTH 3X- 10x THE OTHERS ,,,, ? ,,, ITS BETTER ? ,,, HELL YES MECHANICALLY YES ,,, OPTICALLY ??? THE FIGHT BEGIN'S .

Brian.

that_guy
12-05-2017, 11:58 PM
anyone know if i can get away with the gso coma corrector or will i have to fork out for the baader?

brian nordstrom
13-05-2017, 12:15 AM
:)GSO's are very good middle of the road correctors ,,,
grab one and use it ,,,,, and most of all ,,,
Enjoy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brian

brian nordstrom
13-05-2017, 12:17 AM
:question: OOP'S
Forgot ,,,, and learn brother ;) .

Brian

Atmos
13-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Get the Baader, the GSO is a bit of a headache to use. Optically the GSO is similar to the Baader and it better to use visually due to a longer back focus but it is a headache to use for imaging.

doppler
13-05-2017, 08:14 AM
I am having the same dilemma, from what I have read the GSO corrector is a sharp at the edges but bit soft at centre, so my choice is between the Skywatcher and BAADER, the skywatcher being $60 cheaper.... but I will probably go with the Baader.

Camelopardalis
13-05-2017, 09:57 AM
That's a good price :eyepop: but I'd want it to come with lessons on how to collimate :lol:

that_guy
13-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I've owned several dobs over the years so collimation is almost second nature now aha.

that_guy
13-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Im assuming id be pushing the mount a bit if i were to use my ed80 as a guidescope with the newt? If so, wipl my finderguider be sufficient?

doppler
13-05-2017, 05:32 PM
The finder guiders are supposed to be good for guiding up to 1500mm focal length, mine works ok with my RC 6" (1350mm fl). Finder guiders are a lot easier to work with (set up, mount and line up) than a proper refractor as a guide scope.

that_guy
13-05-2017, 05:44 PM
should be alright for an f4 8", 800mm fl

that_guy
16-05-2017, 12:35 PM
scope arriving tomorrow, MPCC and extra counterweight bought from local store. Everything looks good :thumbsup:

EDIT: andrews got the address wrong and sent it to the wrong house. gotta wait another day for it to get redelivered :(((

Camelopardalis
16-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Keep us posted Tony, I'm interested in hearing how you get on, for the price it sounds like a bargain...

that_guy
17-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Update, the scope arrived safe and sound. There are couple of small annoying things that bugged me. The secondary collimation screws might as well be made of playdoh. Collimating it once almost stripped the screws clean aha, I replaced them for now with spare screws I had. The tube rings are a bit too tight for my liking, gonna make fitting and using a wilcox ring very difficult. Haven't taken it out for a test of yet (not for a couple of days I think due to clouds :mad2:) so can't test the focus and coma with and without the mpcc.

AussieBill
17-05-2017, 04:56 PM
What is a grey importer ?

Bill

raymo
17-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Most astro retailers are dealers/agents for one or more specific
brands of scopes/ mounts/cameras/accessories etc:. Grey importers
are not tied to agreements with manufacturers/wholesalers etc: and
can source their stock from wherever they like. Consequently, the
warranties normally applicable to some/most/all of the brands they
carry are null and void, and the grey importer has to arrange his/her
own warranty coverage. I have to say that Andrews seem to be pretty
good in this regard. Grey importers are common in other retail
businesses too, such as camera/optical/computer stores.
raymo

that_guy
17-05-2017, 08:50 PM
I hate that andrews doesnt have a proper online shop. They would get so much more business if we didn't have to call every time we need to order. Phone calls also makes mistakes more common (they messed up my address, thank god the neighbour declined to sign for it instead of just keeping it!)