PDA

View Full Version here: : Queensland Astrofest Website

DaveO
08-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Hi all

The Qld Astrofest website is up and running, and for those of you who are keen, the count down clocks are ticking.

Online registrations open at 8am(-ish) Wednesday 18 May. As this is a manual process, the exact time is dependent on when I can "flip the switches".

More details of the event can be found on the site, and I will leave it to the Committee to provide details to IIS members (I'm just the "webslave").

Keep in mind that, like last year, you do not need to have a website account to register for QAF. That avoids all that messy requesting of user IDs, emails and password resets that happened in years gone past.

If anybody has problems with the site, PM me. And no, not being first to register doesn't count Houghy!! :)

glend
08-05-2017, 11:15 AM
What no link?

multiweb
08-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Countdown here (http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/).

DaveO
08-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks Marc. Sorry Glen. I assumed everybody knew about Qld Astrofest!!

But in plain text: http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/

Zubenel
08-05-2017, 07:30 PM
:thumbsup::thanx::2thumbs::astron:: sunny::stargaze::party2::party::coo l2:

h0ughy
08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
if they don't then don't tell them, they wont register to log on:P

DaveO
08-05-2017, 07:39 PM
You're not trying to eliminate the competition are you Houghy? :)

h0ughy
08-05-2017, 08:12 PM
never:whistle:

stanlite
08-05-2017, 08:33 PM
The Race is ON

alan meehan
11-05-2017, 09:25 PM
I cant wait

h0ughy
12-05-2017, 06:44 AM
8 am in the morning - who is up at that hour???

OneCosmos
17-05-2017, 03:38 PM
I would just like to mention that I was first to register last year and I am most keen to maintain my title :)

OneCosmos
17-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Hey Grady, one very ordinary day when I was going through something of a fitness regime I found myself on the treadmill mindlessly watching the TV monitors - minus headphones initially, only to see someone I thought I recognized on one of those quiz shows. I scrambled for my headphones to hear the show's host refer to Grady! I felt that you demonstrated a fair degree of equanimity :)

DaveO
17-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Those of us who have to work? :question:

DaveO
17-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Not much longer Alan!! The only question is when!!

DaveO
17-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Ah Chris. Some people have high aspirations. Others.....? :shrug:

OneCosmos
18-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Yep, I've given up on all others :(

DaveO
18-05-2017, 08:01 AM
The online registration form for Qld Astrofest 2017 is now active. If you encounter any issues, please PM me. I am unavailable for the next hour or so but will check during the morning.

DaveO
18-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Just for clarification - there is a REGISTRATION menu at the top of the page amongst the other menus. Apparently this may be a bit subtle for some people. :-)

hikerbob
18-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Only oddity was that there were headings for lunch and dinner on the page showing the info that was collected but no detail.

Committments elsewhere on the second saturday so it's a 7 night visit.

Bob Stephens

multiweb
18-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Need a BIG RED button in the middle of the page. ;)
All done now. Bring on the clear skies! :stargaze:

DaveO
18-05-2017, 03:40 PM
There's been quite a bit of activity today, but I can note that the first across the line was Chris (OneCosmos). What that says about what he does with his time that he can sit about refreshing his screen...probably better left unsaid! :rofl:

As to more demonstrative access - I have added fireworks, dancing girls and a brass band to the list of options for next year's Astrofest registration activation. Or alternatively a big red button! :lol:

Enjoy.

OneCosmos
18-05-2017, 03:46 PM
If you could arrange for the real fireworks dancing girls and band - physically at a location of my choice I will be sufficiently distracted to prevent me being first to register :P

QLD_Astrofest
20-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Hi all Astrofest fans and participants.

Sorry for the long post, butI just have to highlight a few changes to the rules to the photo competition.

First a few words regarding the person whose memory that the competition is honouring, Erwin van der Velden.

Ervin started Astro-Photography with a film based camera at the age of 29. In 2002 he converted a Webcam to use for Planetary Imaging. Some of his highly detailed imaging of Mercury were used for scientific research.

After Erwin immigrated to Australia in 2003, he joined the Brisbane Astronomical Society and the Southern Astronomical Society. He visited on regular basis a dark sky site in Leyburn and produced fantastic Deep Sky images using his self-modified Nikon D70. He had very well defined and documented image processing techniques to extract the faintest details from his images. His images of the Solar System to the deepest sky were astounding and wowed around the world.

Unfortunately, on September 27th 2005 Erwin died at age 39 as a result of heart failure.

In 2006, his fantastic work in Astro-photography was recognised by the Astronomical Union with the renaming of minor planet "1999 BY25" discovered by Mr. Urata in Japan on 25th January 1999 to "(14664) Vandervelden".

Also in 2006, the Queensland Astrofest inaugurated the annual Erwin van der Velden Astro-Photo Competition. The Astrofest in that year was attended Erwin’s sister, Ilse, who presented the trophies to the first winners of the competition. She also created an Astro-Photography web site dedicated to Erwin: http://www.erwinvandervelden.nl/

Rules for photo submission.

TWO CATEGORIES:

THROUGH A TELESCOPE ASTRO-PHOTOGRAPHY CATEGORY
• Photos must be taken though a telescope (400mm focal length or greater)
• Photos may be deep field, wide angle, planetary, lunar or special interest involving an astronomical object or theme.

NON-TELESCOPE ASTRO-PHOTOGRAPHY CATEGORY
• Photos must not be taken though a telescope or using a 400 mm focal length lens or greater;
• Photos may be deep field, wide angle, planetary, lunar or special interest involving an astronomical object or theme.

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
• The competition is open to all Queensland Astrofest registrants.
• All entries must be received by the Registrar or your club's Astrofest by Friday 18th August. It is recommended that you give your photos directly to your club representative to pass on to the Registrar. Images WILL NOT be accepted at the camp after Friday 18th August! Posted entries MUST be received no later than the Monday prior to the camp starting. Please keep in mind that there is no internet access at the venue.
• Each entrant may submit a maximum of three (3) images for each category.
• Photos submitted must be taken at or since the preceding Queensland Astrofest.
• Photos must be printed and may be no larger than A4 in size. A digital copy must be additionally sent to the webmaster (web at qldastrofest.org.au) to facilitate any online use.
• Entrants must state the subject matter/description, the telescope/lens used, the camera used, the number of images stacked if applicable as well as the exposure time/s of each photo. This information will be used when the photo is displayed on the web site, but not before.
• All photos will be displayed in the Dining Room for the duration of Astrofest.
• The prize-winner for each category will receive the perpetual trophy on which their name will be engraved as well as a smaller trophy that they will be able to keep. It is hoped that the winner(s) will present the perpetual trophy to the winner(s) of the following year.

JUDGING
• The photos will be voted upon by the Astrofest registrants.
• When registering, everyone will receive a voting form for each category.
• The photos on display will be numbered and no names will be displayed.
• As all the photos will be on display for the whole of Astrofest, you may vote at any time prior to voting closing on the final Saturday morning.
• Voting forms to be placed in the box next to the display.
• Voting will close at 10.00 am Saturday 26th August.

Additionally I would like ask for a screen resolution digital image of all entries to be submitted so that a presentation can be created to play at the Astrofest and placed on the website.

Cheers
Queensland Astrofest

troypiggo
06-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Booked my 5 nights at lunchtime today. Bring it on!

:stargaze::2thumbs::cool::nerd:

cfn
07-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Here's the page to check (http://www.metvis.com.au/cfn/avocavale/) for Avoca Vale forecast for Astrofest 2017.

QLD_Astrofest
07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Thanks CFN for that link.

Just a few reminders for the upcoming Queensland Astrofest:

Early Bird Registration closes at midnight Saturday 17th June. If you haven't registered, or you know someone who hasn't registered, please do so (or remind them) before then.
AstroFeast meal is a Lunch starting ~12:30-1pm.
Menu for daily meals will be available on web as soon as possible.
Anyone wishing to conduct a workshop/talk during the week please let the committee know as soon as possible so we can work out a program.
Astro-photography Competition rule changes will be strictly enforced to ensure best chance for all photos entered.
Local club members are encouraged to submit their photos to their representative ASAP.
Posted photos - last date to guarantee receiving is Monday 7th June (no one will be there to receive them after this date)
At camp photos will be accepted until midnight Friday 18th, (first weekend)
The Queensland Astrofest will not print images as we cannot gurantee faithful reproduction.
Electronic copies are requested to be sent to the webmaster/slave (screen resolution) to create a presentation to be played during the Astrofest and posted on the website.

Cheers for now.

h0ughy
07-06-2017, 11:06 PM
here is hoping for my usual bunk and now to pick a spot

QLD_Astrofest
08-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing you and Alan again this year... well Alan anyway. :lol:

OneCosmos
20-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Looking forward to seeing you again.

troypiggo
20-06-2017, 02:07 PM
You too. Will you be on the imaging or visual field this year? IIRC you had a foot in both camps last year and were considering a switch? :)

OneCosmos
25-06-2017, 09:24 PM
You do indeed remember correctly. Last year I was definitely interested in visual but the situation was also forced upon me by computer problems that could not be resolved quickly.

I now have a dedicated intel NUC I use even in the observatory at home, so that is resolved. Notwithstanding that I will be participating in both activities. Visual is a much more 'in the moment' experience and the visual field is extremely 'civilised'.

This year will be different too because I'm abandoning the bunks in favour of my new Avan Cruiseliner (the same type as the one Renato used to bring along). I have a new WiFi router which will be kept inside the Avan and the NUC will connect to that so imaging can be light free at the scope and in my very own warm room.

that_guy
25-06-2017, 11:27 PM
I'll be there for the last 3 nights, see you there :thumbsup:

peter_4059
26-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Sounds great Chris. What could possibly go wrong this year with two computers and a wireless network?

troypiggo
26-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Another tip - to avoid problems in the field, always a good idea to make sure all drivers and software are updated the day before you leave for Astrofest so you know they're the latest.

Camelopardalis
27-06-2017, 11:14 PM
I'd advise the opposite...if you know your computer is working well before the event, disconnect it from the internet before you leave so Windows can't apply any updates that might break stuff...

multiweb
28-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Sound advice and also disconnect the wireless. :thumbsup: I remember going to bed at 22:00 one night after setting up 15min subs in Ha and coming back at 4:00 to a login screen. The lappie had applied windows updates and rebooted. When I checked the last sub it was timestamped at 22:15. :rolleyes:

troypiggo
28-06-2017, 09:56 AM
I was being a bit facetious, following on from Peter's post ;)

Camelopardalis
28-06-2017, 08:22 PM
:lol: sorry interpreter error :lol:

COSMOPARADISE
28-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Im determined to eliminate the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" by ordering a LYNX ASTRO HEQ5PRO USB cable, $95 delivered, better work.

multiweb
30-06-2017, 05:33 PM
I used to BSOD my laptop with static electricity on dry nights when zapping by hands on the mount aluminium tripod with my fingers and it was resolved using Keterex opto isolators (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=keterex+usb+isolator&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiLyp6nh-XUAhWJwbwKHXxiDWwQsAQIOg&biw=1920&bih=960)for the serial to USB and USB cables.

COSMOPARADISE
30-06-2017, 08:58 PM
nice, thanks Marc Im interested in this device.

OneCosmos
30-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Nothing that can't fixed with a bottle of port, a radiator and a heavy quilt!

Camelopardalis
30-06-2017, 10:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

peter_4059
01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
True but I hope you aren't going to plug your radiator into the same power I'm relying on. We all know where that leads.

OneCosmos
01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
It is only the fan heaters that are banned as they draw way too much power. Oil filled radiators are not problematic afaik.

h0ughy
01-07-2017, 11:30 PM
just as bad - draw too much current:eyepop:. tell you what i will provide on on my "reliable" power supplies:atom: so that when it flames out it will warm your scope nicely:P you turn on one of those and i will make sure you stay warm all night

peter_4059
02-07-2017, 09:24 AM
You should be able to look on the name plate on the oil filler radiator to see how much power it consumes. I bet is is going to be in the kilowatts and this is on-par with fan heaters. Might be worth checking the rules with the committee.

OneCosmos
03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
But they work differently. A fan heater uses a constant stream of electricity whilst the oil filled radiator only draws enough power initially to heat the oil up with only top ups needed after that. So, initially when the oil is being heated up it may be the same, (but I don't know) but after only about 5 or 10 minutes it ceases to draw so much power.

The US Department of Energy says that fan heaters use between 10,000 and 40,000 BTUs of energy per hour whilst the oil-filled radiators use between 2000 to 5000 BTUs . 1KW hour = 3,400 BTUs

troypiggo
03-07-2017, 08:34 AM
I would have thought that it's the peak draw that trips out the power, not how much it uses on average over time. :shrug:

OneCosmos
03-07-2017, 11:05 AM
All good then - I'll heat it up from 16:30 - peak will be over by 17:00 :)

peter_4059
03-07-2017, 11:14 AM
And we'll all know where to go if the power trips out.

troypiggo
03-07-2017, 11:36 AM
That's a paddlin'

OneCosmos
03-07-2017, 11:47 AM
better make sure the Avan door is locked :)

peter_4059
03-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Not much point being locked inside of it's rolling down a hill.;)

multiweb
03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
If the US Department of Energy says so then we're good. :thumbsup:

troypiggo
03-07-2017, 02:59 PM
The Astrofest rules allow you 0 BTUs. ;)

Page 7 Power:
http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/external_files/Registration_booklet_2014_07_06.pdf

that_guy
05-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Quick question, its been 7 years since I've last attended! Hows the internet/phone situation nowadays at duckadang? Is it still the dark ages over there?

cletrac1922
05-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Situation at duckadang still the same with respect to power. Organisers telling people again this year not to use air-con of fan heaters in caravans, and other forms of accommodation.

RobF
05-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Tony, still no phone or internet reception, unless you put up a balloon or climb a nearby ridge. At least that was still the case last year.

QLD_Astrofest
17-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Hi fellow AstroFesters,

Just a quick reminder that if you intend to submit images for the Astro-Photography Competition, than you either (1) Submit it with your club's Astrofest representative, (2) mail it to the Astrofest Registrar so it is received BEFORE August 11, (3) give it to the registrar at the Astrofest BEFORE midnight on Friday 18th August. I will not be accepting images after this time.

There has been some discussion in this thread about the use of heaters. Regardless of weather the heater unit works constantly, switches on/off intermittently, or you can use it if you think no-one is watching. The issue at Camp Duckadang is limited electrical circuits. We have lots of people with lots of equipment on very few circuits, so the draw is cumulative. Add a heater... or two... there may be grounds for a lynching. Remember, run your critical equipment off batteries or UPS. I don't recall many issues last year as everyone was doing the right thing, we just have to continue this trend.

There is still plenty of space so if you intend to come and haven't registered yet, take some time and register at www.qldastrofest.org.au

COSMOPARADISE
17-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Hahaha...plenty of SPACE....niiice...
:stargaze:

OneCosmos
20-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Haha I agree a heater shouldn't be used regardless of the weather, whether it is cold or not!

On a more serious note it is right to accept that sometimes technological improvements can resolve or reduce the severity of previous problems.

COSMOPARADISE
21-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Its been a while, see you all on the last Friday and Saturday, my mate Dom is coming as well for his first fest. :poke:

peter_4059
23-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Have you upgraded your computer? :shrug:

OneCosmos
23-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Nope I bought an Intel NUC, dedicated to astronomy to be used in both the observatory and in the field. Nothing left to chance

OneCosmos
05-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Anyone going to AF this year that have a pair of docters 12.5mm. I posted this originally in the visual forum: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=159832

Camelopardalis
10-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Book up, book up people! :D

With only 1 more day to go for online bookings, and the weather crystal ball hinting that we'll have no significant rainfall until September, it's looking increasingly likely that we'll have classic AstroFest weather...beautiful warm sunny days followed by crisp freezer-suit nights :thumbsup:

OneCosmos
10-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Getting very close now. I always book the Thursday off work just because of the amount of preparation and how lucky this year to see that the EKKA holiday is on the Wednesday :)

I have also ordered 2 x Docters 12.5mm eyepieces - I hope they arrive in time and I hope they are as special as everyone says they are. Looking forward to trying them out in the binos on my scopes as well as other people's.

Imaging is expected to go fairly smoothly too this year now that I have a new camera, a computer dedicated for purpose, and a fit for purpose warm room in the form of the A-Van . Nothing has been left to chance this year except the weather.

Looking forward to catching up with all the regulars and new folk.

Chris

Camelopardalis
10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Ditto that :thumbsup:

I'll be bringing a spare NUC just in case :lol:

OneCosmos
10-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Please do. It is impossible to cater to every eventually.

BTW. One huge difference for me at least this year is that for the first time ever Duckadang has a PIANO!

It is a modest digital piano, but a piano nevertheless but don't worry, I'll be bringing my headphones so I don't disturb anyone when they're trying to get a good day's sleep!

Camelopardalis
10-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Ooooo colcha :thumbsup:

RickS
10-08-2017, 02:56 PM
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/emerson/emersonheader.jpg

OneCosmos
10-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Haha. Let's hope Khaleesi is there this year. I could show her my telescope😉

RickS
10-08-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't think the late, great Keith Emerson was in GoT though I do see the resemblance in that particular pic.

h0ughy
11-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Sorry guys and gals but due to unforeseen circumstances Alan and I won't be able to make it this year. Was looking forward to it but will have to be next year

RickS
11-08-2017, 10:12 AM
It won't be the same without the Taj Mahal...

alan meehan
11-08-2017, 11:10 AM
yeah Sorry guys enjoy some good skies unfortunately I have been crook of late and in hospital not feelin my usual self
AL

troypiggo
11-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Won't be the same without you guys and Nettie.

multiweb
11-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Ouch! Not good Al. Get well soon mate.

multiweb
11-08-2017, 01:04 PM
:sadeyes: Wha!!.... gonna miss the HOughy dance.

h0ughy
11-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Yep I am going to miss the serenity and you guys

h0ughy
11-08-2017, 01:26 PM
No spares this year :sadeyes:

DaveO
11-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Online registrations have now closed. However registrations can be made onsite at Duckadang when you arrive. Enjoy the fabulous Queensland weather folks.

peter_4059
11-08-2017, 10:04 PM
We're going to miss you. Hope everything works out ok.

Peter

h0ughy
11-08-2017, 10:08 PM
LOL get tony to mark out my usual space and then an image of all of you raising a glass;):lol:

OneCosmos
11-08-2017, 10:29 PM
This one s going to be one strange Astrofest without so many regular fixtures. Allan get well and we'll see you next year.

QLD_Astrofest
12-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone,

It certainly going to be a very low key Astrofest this year. A lot of folks are heading to the 'States for the total solar eclipse... good weather to all those who are going (which includes several of the committee).

We are all going to miss Houghy. Does that sound sincere? I've been working on my sincerity. All jokes aside, without Dave's mobile electronics and equipment spares trailer onsite, more than one person will be facing the long drive back to BrisVegas.

On a serious note, hope your health improves soon Alan.

firstlight
12-08-2017, 10:09 PM
What is your usual place? I don't think that you have set up in the same place twice. :lol:

QLD_Astrofest
12-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks to our Major Sponsors from Bintel and SkyWatcher we have some cool prizes. Bintel has donated a ZWO ASI1600MC-C Cooled astronomy camera http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/index.php/raffle/87-raffle/180-zwo-asi1600mc-c-cooled-colour-2017, while SkyWatcher is catering for the visual side with a ULTRA-WIDE 82° EYEPIECE KIT http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/index.php/raffle/87-raffle/181-skywatcher-eyepiece-kit-2017 and a pair of binoculars.

Also our sponsors from Software Bisque, Telegizmos, Starlight Instruments and AstrVisuals have also continued to support the Queensland Astrofest. The Amateur Telescope Makers of Queensland are donating a handcrafted 6" f10 telescope toward the raffle.

If you are unable to attend you can purchase tickets by emailing the Registrar (registrar@qldastrofest.org.au) with details of your deposit into the Queensland Astrofest bank account - Account No: 496 928 303
BSB: 014 202. The cut-off for this process is Wednesday prior to the final Saturday as confirmation from the banks often take over 48 hours.

Good luck to all. Thanks to Major Sponsors and Sponsors, past and present, once again.

h0ughy
12-08-2017, 10:47 PM
check the history........;)

h0ughy
12-08-2017, 11:00 PM
some great incentives this year - bugger

Camelopardalis
13-08-2017, 12:06 PM
By all accounts, I'm looking forward to cat swinging space on the imaging field this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

firstlight
13-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Can you name a position you have set up twice?

firstlight
13-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Not to mention space around Casa de Surma-Hawes when we ddive onto the camp beds to get a couple of hours shut eye through the night. :zzz2:

h0ughy
13-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Near the volley ball court near the rotunda, near the east side of the dining room, and on the edge of the drive in

Camelopardalis
13-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Luckily, my singing voice is back on form this year :D

RickS
15-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Looks like I have moisture in the sensor chamber of my camera again :mad2:

OneCosmos
15-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Rick. Can it be fixed in time? Do you have a second camera to use?

Camelopardalis
15-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Darn those big CCD cameras...you'd think they'd make them properly, right?! :help:

RickS
15-08-2017, 10:08 AM
It will need to go back to the USA again. Took about three months last time.

I do have another camera but have to figure out if I can cobble together adapters with the right spacing.

Yep. Especially when they give a lifetime warranty on the sensor chamber seal.

troypiggo
15-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Oh noes! Wish I could return your favour and help you out. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

OneCosmos
15-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Lifetime warranty because they cost peanuts to fix and the inconvenience is all on the customer in time lost. I wonder if they'd make them properly to last if the warranty included an express delivery of a temporary or even permanent replacement? Still I shouldn't complain given the excellent service from QHY. I hope you manage to sort the camera. I have all kinds of adapters if needed but hopefully you'll have time to sort it. I should lend you my QHY -if might finally achieve some decent images ;)

RickS
15-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Troy. Will let you know if I think of something :)

I don't think they offer the lifetime warranty any more ;) Even under warranty it's a costly exercise with shipping back to the USA.

I have a STL11K if I can figure how how to attach it with the right spacing.

troypiggo
15-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Maybe something of the liquid refreshments variety? :shrug: :D

RickS
15-08-2017, 12:54 PM
That's certainly what I was thinking last night when I noticed the space invaders in my light frames :eyepop:

QLD_Astrofest
16-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Ken Wishaw will be doing the on-site registration and just happens to be medical doctor formally with the armed forces. He has asked that we issue this advisory to avoid any unfortunate medical occurrences at this years Astrofest.

I will attempt to send this advisory directly to each attendee via email.

******To all Astrofest attendees*******

There has been a major increase in influenza cases in South East Queensland in the past week.

The close confines of Camp Duckadang lends itself to influenza spreading easily. There are no nearby medical facilities.

Therefore

• If you have an active upper respiratory tract infection please defer attending till you are symptom free.
•
• If you develop an upper respiratory tract infection (or gastro) while at Astrofest, please let me know. It would be best if you make arrangements to leave. If that will not be till the next day, we will endeavour to isolate you in the interests of others.
•
• While at astrofest be careful with infection control. Wash your hands prior to each meal and all other appropriate times(!) and use the hand sanitiser at the meal location.

If you have any queries my phone number is 0412 947 429. I will be at Camp Duckadang from Thursday lunchtime and staying for the entire event (unless I get and upper respiratory tract infection)!

Dr Ken Wishaw

On-site Registrar.

astroron
16-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Could someone direct me to the online registration form?
I can only find a form that you have to download and fill and send by post
Cheers

thunderchildobs
16-08-2017, 12:17 PM
The online registration has now closed.

RickS
16-08-2017, 12:19 PM
But you can still register on site, Ron.

astroron
16-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks Brendan and Rick.
Cheers:thumbsup:

OneCosmos
17-08-2017, 08:10 AM
In full 'getting ready'mode now except I think the fridge in my A'van may not be working! Oh well pretty small anyway.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

RickS
17-08-2017, 09:02 AM
I have given up on trying to dry out my Apogee camera. Plan B, the STL11K, seems to be coming together. I have figured out a set of adapters that will work and I'm running bias and dark frames today. Tonight I'll try to get V curves done and calculate filter offsets. With luck I'll have everything ready and tested in time to head up on Saturday afternoon...

h0ughy
17-08-2017, 10:39 AM
i wish I was going to be there......have fun......photons are beautiful......must get some.......please post some captured photons from Astrofest..............I need my fix.................:)

RickS
17-08-2017, 11:45 AM
I'm sure there will be plenty of photons on display after the event :)

h0ughy
19-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Saturday night and I don't know what to....

edwardsdj
21-08-2017, 01:42 PM
I haven't posted for a while but the excitement of Astrofest has got me posting again!

I was at Astrofest on Saturday night. This was my first time at Astrofest and I had a really great night!

Here is a photo of the imaging field taken on Saturday night with the LMC, SMC and Milky Way in the sky above.

I'm hoping to be back for the second weekend!

Doug

h0ughy
21-08-2017, 02:00 PM
great image - looks like someone was doing m45 and the helix, maybe ngc55, maybe as m20 or m8 grab......ahhh i miss it i can see t he s-cargo tent with Allan Gould

glend
21-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Next year Houghy, the stars will still be there. Maybe i can make it by then too.

troypiggo
21-08-2017, 02:29 PM
I though the same thing. Same spot every year. :)

edwardsdj
21-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I was hoping to meet you David. Maybe next year.

Here are some more shots taken on Saturday:

1. Milky Way over the visual field.
2. LMC and SMC over my 12" truss Dob in the visual field (with Paracorr and Ethos 21mm installed).
3. Milky Way over the imaging field. I believe that is Richard's Newtonian astrograph slewing around on his EQ6 in the foreground right of centre.
4. LMC and SMC over the imaging field.
5. Milky Way over Tony and Anne-Louise Surma-Hawes' most impressive set up in the imaging field (they were both so friendly).
6. Milky Way over another part of the imaging field.

I'm hoping to meet more people this weekend. I spent most of my time in the visual field so my apologies for not getting to meet more people in the imaging field.

Doug

multiweb
27-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Just got back from the long drive from Astrofest. Great to catch up with everyone again. :stargaze: Weather was pretty good and lots of subs to be had as well as wine, cheese and crackers. :thumbsup:

RickS
27-08-2017, 06:18 PM
I headed home after the Astrofeast lunch yesterday. It was great to catch up with you and the rest of the gang, Marc :thumbsup: I hope Troy got good weather for the last, lonely night.

that_guy
27-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Had the best time at astrofest this year. Had a blast catching up with familiar faces and making new buds. Although I was surprised at the number of people that recognised me from previous astrofests. I was very quiet and kept to myself those past years. You guys have one heck of a memory!

troypiggo
27-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Yep, great to catch up with everyone again. Thanks to the organisers, committee and staff at Duckadang.

Saturday night was cloudy again til around 9 I think. Some high level stuff still there and I was having trouble keeping eyes open so packed it in. Not sure if it cleared up but when I left this morning Nick still hadn't risen so assume he was up much later?

Was awesome to catch that ISS transit of moon. Got it on video, will post tomorrow.

edwardsdj
28-08-2017, 03:23 AM
It was great to meet you Tony. This was my first Astrofest and it was absolutely thrilling to meet people as dedicated as you! I'm so sorry I only got around to checking out your equipment as you were packing up on the final day. There were just so many people to meet and so much equipment to see! I really enjoyed chatting with you on a number of occasions in the middle of the night over a coffee in the kitchen.

Hope to see you again next year!

Take care,
Doug

Camelopardalis
28-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Yep, thanks for another 'Fest! The last night was looking decent at midnight when I got up and only got better through the night...you guys missed another good night :lol: :P

dylan_odonnell
28-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Quiet year but that transit was super cool.. usually I'm all alone in the dark catching these! Was great to be in a crowd cheering it on .. I didn't have my scope gear but got some great video of the evening and would love to compile some of the ISS lunar transits into a little video .. if anyone caught it on their gear at QLD astrofest and would like to be featured please email the photo/video to dylan@dnadigital.com.au

Thanks all!

d

troypiggo
28-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I got a video with my 5DII and refractor but no idea how to process/edit it :)

Posted here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1331905

that_guy
28-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Those late night discussions is what astrofest is really about aha. Great to meet you too!

firstlight
01-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Well, I have sort of recovered from Astrofest weekend, work all week,then Astrofest weekend, then work all week. I don't have as much data as I would like but the ISS transit of the Moon was certainly a special moment.

I had my first go at videoing the event and have learned some important lessons. I used a low ISO so the frames were too slow, BUT i did capture the moment.

MichaelSW
06-09-2017, 01:06 PM
I have an oldish Panasonic Lumix compact that cost me $17.00 at local Vinnies store. Turned it on set to the standard video settings and held it to the eyepiece manually for A-Focal shooting. I looked up to watch the Transit live. So the video is a bit shaky.

It is a .m4v file. Link to Google Photos video is at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/arYMtmudZGKcL9u32

Never seen ISS Lunar Transit before. I cheered along with the rest of the crowd and was thrilled that the Lumix got what it did.

multiweb
06-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Looks great. :thumbsup:

firstlight
08-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Great video Michael.

I finally got 'round to stacking all the frames of the transit. Because the exposure was so long the Station was blurred into a streak, but you can still make out the solar panels

Cheers
Tony

troypiggo
15-09-2017, 12:31 PM
At the astrofeast Ken Wishaw was handing around light pollution letters/petitions for signing. I'm trying to get in touch with him regarding a recent upgrade to the Riverside Expressway street lights to LEDs, but not sure of his IIS member name (if he is one) or how to get a hold of him. Anyone here assist?

firstlight
17-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Hi Troy,

Has anyone replied about Ken?

RickS
17-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Might be worth contacting the BAS folks, Troy. They have been actively monitoring the BCC/Energex trial. I was walking home one night last week after a work dinner and saw a suspicious character with a tripod mounted camera in Brisbane St, St Lucia. It was one of the BAS people taking pics of the LED streetlights being tested there. I'll PM you a name...

Cheers,
Rick.

troypiggo
17-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Thanks mate. Got your PM.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it.