PDA

View Full Version here: : Moving a 12" Dob

vaztr
07-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Hi All,

I have a 12" Dob and am wondering how you guys go about moving similar equipment around outside?

I was thinking of buying a second hand golf buggy to move the tube and I can carry the base.

Any other bright ideas?

Thanx

VAZ

NoTan2
08-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Hi Andrew,

I shopped around for a reasonably priced, solid hand trolley with a large base plate and large diameter inflatable tyres. Cost me $80. I then cut two large pieces of 12mm ply and glued them together. They were sized to fit between the legs on the dob base and to extend the base plate most of the way under the dob base. This prevents the scope from tipping away from the trolley when I lift it. I made a couple of right angle brackets and attached the ply to the base plate.

On a Skywatcher, you need to cut a slot in the ply for the centre bolt in the dob base.

Strapped some old pillows on to the handles. The big tyres cushion the ride out on to the back deck.

It takes me less than two minutes to move it from the garage.

glend
08-05-2017, 09:23 AM
I used a Supercheap hand truck with a furniture pad, worked fine for years, until i sold the scope.just put a strap across it near the top to stop it from coming off.

sil
09-05-2017, 03:55 PM
I'd like to get a motorised tripod hand trolley, saw one from the US a few years ago at around USD2.5k. Didnt have brakes/electric wheel locks though. Still maybe one day I can afford something like that to resurrect my scopezilla and use it again.

astro_nutt
09-05-2017, 06:09 PM
I made transport box which is basically using the original packing foam inserts and cutting them down with enough room, about a fingers thickness around the tube, then glued them, water-based liquid nails works best, into a cardboard box made to size, then glue the box to a piece of 3 ply. Easier to transport to, from and in the car and when being wheeled around in a hand cart with a strap to hold it in place.

doug mc
10-05-2017, 01:11 PM
A good hand trolley with a bigger base as explained above will do the job.

AEAJR
11-05-2017, 05:32 AM
If you are on a hard surface this will work. Otherwise I would use a hand truck.