PDA

View Full Version here: : Scope to use for both visual and photography?

that_guy
04-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Hi guys, I currently have a 12" dob but its far too big and cumbersome for me to use (doesn't fit in my car :P). Theres a very good chance ill just downgrade back to a 10" dob but just seeing what other alternatives there are. Is there a scope i can mount on my heq5 that can be used for both visual and AP? I'm trying not to use Newts on EQ mounts for the permanent back and neck injuries it'll cause, I'm assuming the only go is either a large aperture refractor or an SCT. Any suggestions on which ones I should be looking at? Hoping to not have to break the bank so anything sub $1000 would be great.

thanks

Camelopardalis
04-05-2017, 08:47 PM
At a push you could carry a C9.25, or a nice 4" apo or thereabouts...lots of choice :D

that_guy
04-05-2017, 08:54 PM
you reckon i could get those under $1000? sounds like pushing the budget a bit aha.

glend
04-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Your not going to get much new in the way of imaging refractors or SCTs for up to $1000. You might be able to pick up a user ED refractor for that price. Don't buy achromat refractors if you want to image. Don't try imaging with an SCT, they are slow (from an f ratio point of view), and would require a guide setup. Maybe an ED80, or ED100, would fit your budget. Watch the Classifieds here for bargains.

You could pick up a new 6" or 8" GSO Imaging Newt under your budget, that could be handled by the HEQ5 mount. Andrews has the new 8" carbon fibre tube inaging newt on their website for $599. The 6" f5 steel tube newt would be ok and its only $379. but check with Luke at Andrews to see how much the 8" carbon tube model would weigh, they seem like a bargain. Those GSO imaging newts are the best value in your price range.

Good luck.

that_guy
04-05-2017, 09:33 PM
already got an ed80 im using for imaging so got that sorted but they are pretty poor at visual. I'll be up and guiding pretty soon so that shouldn't be an issue, I think if i buy used (most of my gear is used) I might be able to find an ED120, how are these for visual if anyone knows.

EDIT: those 8" cf newts look impressive, just wondering whether or not the weight decrease is worth the $100.

dannat
05-05-2017, 07:35 AM
a 6" mak Newtonian should fit the bill, could pick up a US one off CN for $1K I would have thought delivered

Wavytone
06-05-2017, 03:59 PM
My pick would also be a mak-Newtonian. Occasionally one does appear secondhand on astromart - there was one recently. These babies are heavy thoug and not small.

What about the mount though ? Anything that big will need an eq6 or an iEQ45 or a Losmandy mount and a decent tripod - all of these will exceed your budget.

Maybe a small triplet 70mm refractor and a small eq mount would be within your budget.

Alternatively get a DSLR and some lenses and put that on an Astrotrac.

that_guy
06-05-2017, 04:21 PM
I already have an HEQ5 pro mount, im looking for something I can mount on that when im not imaging with my ed80. I'll look in to mak newts and maybe make myself a wilcox rotating ring so i dont have to be a circus contortionist