PDA

View Full Version here: : OSC Cameras and white balance

ChrisV
04-05-2017, 03:56 PM
What’s the best (or correct?) way to do colour balance with an OSC camera?

To white balance I was using a modded DSLR and took shots of grey (clean road bitumen in the shade), kept these on the camera and use them for custom white balance.

Now I’ve got a dedicated OSC camera (ASI071). I started by taking grey (or white) shots during the day. I captured these with sharpcap and adjusted the R/B colour controls so that the RGB histograms were overlayed.

Is this the correct thing to do? I’m using RAW files so is it all irrelevant? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Completely confused, Chris

rmuhlack
04-05-2017, 04:31 PM
With my QHY10 OSC (and previously with my modded canons) I use Pixinsight to do the colour balance. This pretty much outlines the procedure I use: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-colour-calibrating-images.html

billdan
04-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Hi Chris

I noticed on your image of NGC3324 (very nice too by the way) you used Startools for processing. Startools prefers that white balancing is turned off in stacking and let the Startools program do the white balance.

This happens when you go into the colour module and the correct CIE lab colour is then produced.

The theory is all explained on the Startools website/forum.

Cheers
Bill

sil
08-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Same here for my dslr imaging, that looks about the same as my process.